• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Putting the record straight - info using 'chronic fatigue' as ME/CFS

RogerBlack

I would say that any statement needs to at least say why it's bad.
Perhaps adding something like "This is not ordinary fatigue, any often trivial exertion can trigger days of worsening symptoms including severe cognitive problems, muscle pain in all muscles, not just exercised ones and worsened fatigue. Sometimes this increase persists for years for severe exertions especially over time". And perhaps short link to an appropriate paper, and resource.

Barry53

I would like to point out that this is a symptom of many illnesses and NOT the same as ME/CFS or CFS which is a disease in it's own right.
I think this is key to why there is so much confusion for the innocently uninformed, which most of us probably were once upon a time. The notion that fatigue of any kind can be a medical condition in its own right, is actually quite difficult to get your head around when not familiar with the idea; in every other context and experience, fatigue of any sort is always the consequence of something else going on. So when we come to ME/CFS, the innocently uninformed are inevitably sucked into the idea that there must inevitably be "something else" causing the chronic fatigue; the idea that it is the illness itself is quite an alien concept. So it is then sickeningly easy for the psychobabble brigade to convince people that there really is something else, and that that "something else" is false illness beliefs.