• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could it be Behcet's Disease?

Allyson

Interestingly as as a teenager I would have fit the clinical but not research definition of this. I had unending mouth ulcers - usually three or four at the same time. Something was clearly up with my immune system. However as an adult I do not fit this diagnosis. So the question arises: are there a spectrum of such disorders? Is ME one of the diseases on that spectrum? Bye, Alex

Hi Alex,
justy
i have not the reference to hand but I am fairly sure frequent mouth ulcers is a symptom of EDS
WIll post it when i find it again - a few otheres are looking into that too.

ALso you mentioned in another post large hands and feet -well long limbs and tall stature and difficulty gaining weight you likely know can indicate Marfan's habitus - which my grandfather had. It is also strongly linked gebetically to EDS.

Not sure if you have these too - Ted Danson's build comes to mind as typical picture of it - but also many models and supermodels have it as that is the current fashion look.

best
Ally

merylg

@Kati no I haven't. Can be a long path to a diagnosis. There is such a thing as "incomplete Behcet's" plus it is still the subject of research especially Neurobehcet's.

What seems more important is not the name but that the patient gets listened to & gets to try available treatments that apply to their presenting symptoms.

erin

Very interesting thread. I am getting BD tests on Tuesday. I hope I don't have this illness.

Hi all,
I came across this thread. I am a Middle Eastrin guy. We have a lot of cases of BD and its tested when we have those sysmptoms.

I tested negative for HLA5, D27 by PCR.
I also tested for pathology test was negative.

But I am still facing like ME/CFS or HIV like virus.

Dmitri

I was diagnosed with Behcet's earlier this week. The oral ulcers I get 5-10 times per year, usually one at a time, were a key part of it. It's a reason to celebrate after 20+ of years of not having a diagnosis.

I was prescribed otezla and am currently trying low doses with no discernible effects so far. The physician said that if it works, it will most likely only treat the skin/mucosal symptoms and not the neurological ones. Should this fail, what other medications can I expect next? I'm guessing IVIG would be very difficult to get approved for this.