• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lactoferrin with Colostrum and Dairy Sensitivity

JaimeS

Still okay, @Mels . Still slowwwly upping my dosage. I'm now on three baby scoops twice a day. This is still not yet half the adult dose! :confused:

I've noticed a marked need for increased antioxidants (back of neck is stiff, and the probiotics can definitely make me dizzy). Needless to say, digestive changes also present!

It's still remarkable, the C. pnuemoniae's response to the probiotic. I've started coughing stuff up.

Despite all this, overall I feel like I'm making progress. I'll report back, on that far-distant day when I actually am on a full dose.

BTW, Mels, if you are considering taking the digestive enzymes, make sure you do so always with food.

-J

South

three baby scoops twice a day.
@JaimeS I'm confused (doesn't take much though) -- three baby scoops of....colostrum? Or of some kind of probiotic? The thread started about lactoferrin and colostrum, but then you raved about "probiotics".

As far as I know, colostrum and lactoferrin aren't actually probiotics, so wondered if you are also taking a probiotic in addition to the colostrum...and lactoferrin?

Basically, for slow-minded me, can you list what exactly you are taking and which of the things you are taking is it that you feel are the most wonderful?

JaimeS

@South -

I started off by talking about the milk in Colostrum and Lactoferrin - I'm worried because I'm sensitive to dairy.

Then I said, I wondered if I was particularly sensitive to dairy due to its ingestion increasing lactate.

Then, we went to "I heard some probiotic organisms release lactate, and they make me sick..."

@JaimeS have you tried D-Lactate free probiotics?

I haven't, no. I gave it up as a bad job and started taking digestive enzymes, instead

Started on kiddie dose (tiiiiny scoop) twice a day, and am now on two kiddie scoops twice a day. Digestion is improving

So it's the probiotic that @Gondwanaland recommended that gave me such good results. And this is how that conversation led there. ;)

I am also still taking a brand of digestive enzymes (which I may no longer need as often with the probiotic, but we'll see) - called pH basic I from Enzymedica. I started taking those quite some time ago, but they really helped both with digestion and with nasal congestion.

KDM wanted me on a probiotic as well as the Colostrum, but probiotics have made me ill in the past, so I was worried...

[Edit: Sorry for editing this a million times, I'm tired and kept noticing weird things.]

-J

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

Whew, I should say go reaaallly slow with this one, folks. Went up to four scoops and got pretty crashy, had a nopenopenope moment and went back to two. I feel better and am recovering from said crash.

-J
Last week I had a similar experience. I made some yogurt and used some probiotic capsules I have in my fridge and made a few mistakes:

1) used too many capsules for 1 liter of yogurt
2) added histaminogenic strains (L. casei and L. bulgaricus)
3) let it brewing for 24 hours

I think the bacteria multiplied too much - the yogurt had a pungent taste (probably too much lactic acid). I took 1 teaspoon from it and soon later felt an overwhelming fatigue.

I suppose it could also be the case for other folks here - having fatigue from lactate and histamines from unbalanced microbiota - just like the many threads on this subject say so.

It was a very interesting observational experience.

Oci

So far so good, @Gondwanaland ! Started on kiddie dose (tiiiiny scoop) twice a day, and am now on two kiddie scoops twice a day. Digestion is improving, though believe it or not, I think I'm getting die-off symptoms from the nasty bacteria already! The back of my neck is stiff and I feel headache-y a bit. Dizzy for the first five minutes after I take. Symptoms of C. pneumoniae in particular seem worse (breathing is tough).

But you know what helps with that? Exercise! All of a sudden I can! Don't worry everyone, I'm not pushing myself too hard... but all my usual 'warning signs' that buzz around my head when I'm pushing it are definitely quiet for far longer. No exaggerated heartrate or thumping in my chest, no unusual shortness of breath, no maybe-I-should-just-lie-down feeling. No tingling, no numbness, no increased brain fog. Two days ago I potted plants outside. Yesterday, I moved my living room furniture, scooted my giant floor rug, scrubbed the floor under it on my hands and knees... and all without feeling anything but an ache in my lower back. I could scarcely believe it, and kept waiting to get the warning signs I was pushing myself, but they never arrived. I thought, "it's just a delayed crash. Just wait and see if you're still all right tomorrow." But tomorrow is now today. Today I wet-Swiffered the floor, swept my deck, rolled my rug out on my deck and vacuumed its underside (it was REALLY dusty, okay? The rug pad had come straight from the attic.) Then I dragged it back in. And I'm still fine.

The gut, guys. The gut is where it's at. ;) This is not day twelve or twenty, people. This is day FOUR.

In summary, the right probiotics are magic.

-J

@JaimeS Just wondering if you are still liking the probiotics? Are you using the Custom Probiotics that Gondwanaland linked above? I agree that the gut is where it's at.

naoise

@JaimeS hi! This is an old thread so not sure if anyone is still here.

But wondering if you ended up taking the colostrum/lactoferrin complex?

I've also been prescribed this but am warning as I too have issues with dairy! Did you ask the KDM at the time?

SB_1108

@JaimeS - I'm still confused reading this thread... Did you take the colostrum or just the lactoferrin? Like @naoise, I have issues with dairy but KDM recommended the lactoferrin complex (which has colostrum). Can't order from Kalida because they do not ship to the US. I've purchased lactoferrin by itself but wondering if I should add in colostrum separately or avoid because of dairy.

naoise

@JaimeS - I'm still confused reading this thread... Did you take the colostrum or just the lactoferrin? Like @naoise, I have issues with dairy but KDM recommended the lactoferrin complex (which has colostrum). Can't order from Kalida because they do not ship to the US. I've purchased lactoferrin by itself but wondering if I should add in colostrum separately or avoid because of dairy.

I emailed KDM about this and he told me to stop the lactoferrin/colostrum so might be worth emailing him?
I started to take it but my gut wasn't responding well.

SB_1108

@JaimeS - I wanted to explain the reason why I'm confused in a bit more detail. You said you bought "plain old lactoferrin" but then you said you purchased the Symbiotic's brand which I thought was the lactoferrin/colostrum combo? But I also see that Symbiotic sells a Lactoferrin by itself - so did you decide against colostrum?
@naoise - Thanks! Did KDM suggest an alternative?
@cb2 - Thanks! I'll look into this!

JaimeS

@SB_1108 I use Symbiotic's Lactoferrin. Symbiotic actually makes a number of Colostrum and Lactoferrin products, and they do in fact make one that's just lactoferrin on its own, which you can find here.

JaimeS

Additionally, I do have some VERY MINOR issues with the Lactoferrin. I am super-duper sensitive to milk, so if I can tolerate it, there is a good chance many others can.

@JaimeS. When I click on your link to custom probiotics, the "product is not available". They do have D-Lactate free Probiotic Powder listed among their products which is available and I'm wondering if this is the one you used.

So pleased you responded so amazingly to the probiotic .... I hope your improvement is continuing.

JaimeS

@WendyM I since found an even better probiotic: Dr Ohira's. I can't say how much it's helped. First thing that, when I take a normal dose, causes NO problems. The other one, I could never get up to a full dose without getting an immune reaction.

And my dysbiosis issues are slowly receding. It's taking months and months; however, there's a definite upward trend, and if I skip the probiotics I'm sicker almost instantly.

Full disclosure: if you order from the link here, I get reward points from iHerb. :)

@JaimeS. Thank you for the updated information. I'm pleased it is working so well for you.

Unfortunately I can't help you with your iHerb reward points as I'm already a customer. iHerb is way better than anything we have available in Australia.

dannybex

@WendyM I since found an even better probiotic: Dr Ohira's. I can't say how much it's helped. First thing that, when I take a normal dose, causes NO problems. The other one, I could never get up to a full dose without getting an immune reaction.

And my dysbiosis issues are slowly receding. It's taking months and months; however, there's a definite upward trend, and if I skip the probiotics I'm sicker almost instantly.

Quick question @JaimeS: Do or did you have histamine issues?

It seems like Ohira's has quite a few histamine producing strains in it...