• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Jen Brea: What happens when you have a disease doctors can't diagnose - TED Talk!

Cheesus

The video is now up on Youtube. I can't post it in r/videos on Reddit because my most recent Reddit account hasn't been active for long enough. I have asked someone in the ME subreddit to post it in r/videos - which has about 17 million subscribers - on behalf of the community. I will post here if/when that person puts it up.

If anyone here has a Reddit account, it would be great if you could upvote it to try and get it to the front page.

Here is the Youtube video:

Liking the video on Youtube will also make it more likely to appear in people's recommended videos, so please be sure to give the video a thumbs up on Youtube. Also there is some dickhead hater in the comments (apologies for the language), so feel free to troll the guy.

EDIT: Actually it is better to like and reply to the positive comments on Youtube to push them to the top of the comments section. Ignore the haters.

Hajnalka

Just read some of the comments on youtube and it's sickening. This is the best video I've ever seen on ME. I feel like this is kind of a breakthrough. Yet people are still making fun of this disease or tell us to go gluten free. One alleged ME sufferer says it's possible to push through it, if you try hard enough. What's wrong with them? Please join the comments, if you have a youtube account.

Last edited:

Cheesus

Just read some of the comments on youtube and it's sickening. This is the best video I've ever seen on ME. I feel like this is kind of a breakthrough. Yet people are still making fun of this disease or tell us to go gluten free. One alleged ME sufferer says it's possible to push through it, if you try hard enough. What's wrong with them? Please join the comments, if you have a youtube account.

Unfortunately that is the nature of the internet and particularly Youtube. People have the capacity to be deeply spiteful when they are sitting behind a keyboard. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending how you look at it) this spite is not only directed towards ME, and if you look at the comments of any video you will see that they are typically hate-filled war-zones.

shannah

Seems it's been removed from YouTube. I wonder why.

Apparently it was Lenny Jason's link on YouTube that someone posted and then was taken down.

Last edited:

mfairma

I think Jen did a fantastic job, so congrats and thank you, Jen! What an achievement!

I think Jen's emotion, personality, frailty, and vulnerability are some of the greatest strengths of this video because they give it rare heart and a gripping immediacy. I think she could have carried it on those alone, never mind the presentation, which was of course excellent. I haven't read any of the comments, but if people are making negative remarks, I wouldn't be surprised, because Jen made herself very vulnerable and that's the sort of thing internet trolls feed on.

Great job, Jen!