• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Øystein Fluge to Give Public Talk in Norwich, UK, 26th Jan 2017

rosamary

I went. It's freezing in Norwich. I've just got back to my hotel and am trying to get warm.

It was great. Really interesting. So good to listen to some scientists doing real scientific research instead of all that crowd who make it all up and pretend they know what they're talking about.

And I want to read dr Gibson's book now.

Jo Best

This is the awareness and crowdfunding site for the Invest in ME Research Centre of Excellence that Rosalind Amor (featured in the BBC Look East report) has taken over doing the blogs for now that she is able to be online a little. This particular blog was written while she was still too ill but tells you a little about her story - http://ldifme.org/2016/05/06/guess-the-weight-of-my-guinea-pig/

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I went. It's freezing in Norwich. I've just got back to my hotel and am trying to get warm.

It was great. Really interesting. So good to listen to some scientists doing real scientific research instead of all that crowd who make it all up and pretend they know what they're talking about.

And I want to read dr Gibson's book now.

Great to hear, Rosamary! Was anyone filming it?

@Jo Best, do you know if it was being filmed? It would be great if this kind of thing could be filmed and put up on YouTube. It's not expensive or difficult, just takes a bit of organising - and I think it would help attract donations to IiME.

Jo Best

Hi @Sasha I expect @rosamary will know, I know that IFR have filmed talks before, e.g. Prof Simon Carding gave a talk on the gut-brain link. This from their site - http://www.ifr.ac.uk/news/events/2017/01/mecfs-biomedical-research/
adding that I've seen IiMER say on facebook "We arranged with IFR to film the event. This should be available soon". :)
Biomedical research into ME/CFS
Thanks to everyone who came to our public talks in Norwich on biomedical research into ME/CFS on Thursday 26th January. Look out for a report on the event soon
eta - this is their site on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/FoodResearch

Last edited:

Murph

:)
I watched this and learned a lot.

A small selection of the many highlights:

1. Viruses in the gut are important - maybe even more important than the bacteria in the gut. They outnumber gut bacteria 5 to 1 and infect those cells, controlling them. This may be why the same bacteria do different things in differnet people while different bacteria do the same thing in different people! (Prof Carding). Virome changes are associated with disease.

2. The Cylophosphamide trial sounds like it is going extremely well. I don't know for sure but I got the sense (reading between the lines of the follow-up extension and the tone of voice of the researcher) that it is really working well. Will be published in 2017. (Norwegian team)

3. Rituximab Phase III trial won't be published til 2018 . Longer than I hoped! But - worth waiting for.
(Norwegian team)

alex3619

A small selection of the many highlights:
All to be expected. Its very nice to read about cyclophosphamide though. I proposed many years ago to various people that ME might be due to a bacteriophage. We typically do not test those. It remains an open question. The timing of a Rituximab paper is exactly what we expected. I still have not watched the video, but I am wondering how patients are coping with cyclophosphamide side effects. I guess we will find out later this year. Apparently the side effects are much worse than with cancer patients.