• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain treatment

barbc56

Tramadol has been very effective for my FM pain. Stronger opioids don't help. Yet, for me it doesn't work for things such as a headache. My doctor explained thatt It has something to do with lack of opioid receptors in the brain for many with FM. It's usually used for chronic pain.

Unfortunately, I can't tolerate medications such as Lyrica or Amitriptyline.

adelheid55

I started LDN with 0,5mg and then every week 0,5mg more. But as I said I don't see any change in pain up to date.
Concerning the fillers: there is lactose, mannitol and Aerosil.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Great to hear that. I noticed some have excellent effect of lyrica. Do you have any of the side effect and on what dose where you able to get your positve result?
Side effects: constipation, dry eyes, drowsiness, fluid retention
I'm taking 150mg twice a day.

Hugo

Side effects: constipation, dry eyes, drowsiness, fluid retention
I'm taking 150mg twice a day.

Thanks for your answer. Seems to be rather unpleseant side effects, drowsiness could be tough if one have ME (common side effect though I seen). Good that you didnt gain weight since that could be troublesome with ME.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Thanks for your answer. Seems to be rather unpleseant side effects, drowsiness could be tough if one have ME (common side effect though I seen). Good that you didnt gain weight since that could be troublesome with ME.
oh wait, I also gained weight. In spite of all the side effects, I find the pain relief is worth it. That's why I've been taking it for over ten years.

Hugo

oh wait, I also gained weight. In spite of all the side effects, I find the pain relief is worth it. That's why I've been taking it for over ten years.

Yes I understand that. pain is such a handicapping symtom. How painfree are you now? Whats worst of the side effects? Is it anyway one can avoid gaining weight, do you think?

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Yes I understand that. pain is such a handicapping symtom. How painfree are you now? Whats worst of the side effects? Is it anyway one can avoid gaining weight, do you think?

It's hard to say how painfree I am. If I try to quantity that allover achy feel that makes it painful to just roll over in bed or walk or bend or move, and give it an "8" rating (with no Lyrica), I would say that 150mg twice a day gets me to a "4". At that level of "4", I'm not thinking about the all over achy feeling. So taking that amount of Lyrica eliminates about half of my fibro pain. I didn't give my untreated pain a "10" because that would mean being totally bedbound by the pain. A level of "8" means very much incapacitated by the pain and having it affect my willingness to move at all.

I think the constipation is the worst side effect, but that's manageable with stool softener (docusate sodium) and magnesium.

At one time while taking Lyrica I was able to lose 50 lbs through dieting, so I think it's possible to take Lyrica and NOT gain weight if you pay attention to what you eat. I find that Lyrica increases my appetite. I think it's important to know that not everyone gains weight while taking Lyrica.

Here's another perspective, with comments from users:
http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/02/10/lyrica-weight-gain-what-should-you-expect/

ETA: I tried Tramadol once for about a week around 10 years ago and it worked even BETTER than Lyrica, but it made my stomach feel like it was on fire, so I had to stop taking it. If you can tolerate Tramadol, it may be worth a try.

Last edited:

Hugo

It's hard to say how painfree I am. If I try to quantity that allover achy feel that makes it painful to just roll over in bed or walk or bend or move, and give it an "8" rating (with no Lyrica), I would say that 150mg twice a day gets me to a "4". At that level of "4", I'm not thinking about the all over achy feeling. So taking that amount of Lyrica eliminates about half of my fibro pain. I didn't give my untreated pain a "10" because that would mean being totally bedbound by the pain. A level of "8" means very much incapacitated by the pain and having it affect my willingness to move at all.

I think the constipation is the worst side effect, but that's manageable with stool softener (docusate sodium) and magnesium.

At one time while taking Lyrica I was able to lose 50 lbs through dieting, so I think it's possible to take Lyrica and NOT gain weight if you pay attention to what you eat. I find that Lyrica increases my appetite. I think it's important to know that not everyone gains weight while taking Lyrica.

Here's another perspective, with comments from users:
http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/02/10/lyrica-weight-gain-what-should-you-expect/

Thank you for the link and meassurment of your pain index. From 7 to 4 is not bad at all. In your case weight gains is not caused by fluid retention you mentioned as a side effect?

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Thank you for the link and meassurment of your pain index. From 7 to 4 is not bad at all. In your case weight gains is not caused by fluid retention you mentioned as a side effect?
The weight gain is mostly due to appetite stimulation, and only slightly due to fluid retention.

I have a lot of quad pain and Tramadol did a much better job of controlling that type of pain than Lyrica, so keep your options open. It would be hard for me to quantify the relief I got from Tramadol since it was so long ago. If I could take Tramadol instead of Lyrica, I would.

You may want to think of giving Tramadol a try first, since I don't recall it having any side effects other stomach pain. Maybe you could ask barbc56 if she has any side effects from Tramadol.

When you're speaking with your doctor you can say you've heard good things about Tramadol and Lyrica and if the first one you try doesn't suit you, you'd like to give the other one a try.