• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MCS (23andMe + Organix® Comprehensive Profile)

Hello, I developed MCS 13 months ago. Halfway through that time, I also developed Xerostomia (dry mouth). Unfortunately i tried KingFisher Fennel toothpaste once, and it made the Xerostomia a lot worse... My mouth burned for a whole week and got drier than ever before. Later on I noticed that I had developed a cross-reaction allergy, because I also reacted to Cumin (very common in spice mixes and as green color in candy etc) and Anise (I love licorice). Apparently they all (Fennel, Cumin, Anise) belong to the same plant family "Apiaceae".

As if it weren't enough, I have also become sensitive to Mint/Menthol and to all kinds of alcohols, including sweeteners (sugar alcohols) like Xylitol, Sorbitol etc (the reason for testing the Fennel toothpaste in the first place). As it is, I can't find a toothpaste or any product intended for treating Xerostomia, that don't contain any of this...

Perhaps someone on this forum, could help me to interpret my results, so that I can start a treatment.

My understanding, is that I should treat gut problems first and I can't find any good information about "Phenylacetate". I did believe that I had SIBO, but that it was Candida that was the problem. However the Organix Comprehensive test, didn't show Candida (and it would if I had it).

I have read that the next step is fixing Methylation (CBS) and Liver problems and there is quite a few.

I should also mention that I am currently not taking any supplements.

I have tested my Sulfate levels (strips). I am aware of, certain peoples view, that the strips are not reliable. But the information that I have found, is that they work within certain pH levels (4-8) and cheap Lackmus test strips can tell if the sulfate test is valid.
Any way, my Sulfate level is 800-1200mg/l and pH is 7,7 (morning). pH is a little to high (over 8, and I won't be able to get viable results):
"In a pH balanced body. urine is slightly acid in the morning, (pH = 6.5 - 7.0) generally becoming more alkaline (pH = 7.5 - 8.0) by evening in healthy people primarily because no food or beverages are consumed while sleeping."

I have included all the results:

Organix Comprehensive Profile
Org1.png

Org2.png
Org3.png
Org4.png
Org5.png
Org6.png

MTHFRSupport Variant Report v2.4
MTHFR01.png
MTHFR02.png

Valentijn

I have read that the next step is fixing Methylation (CBS) and Liver problems and there is quite a few.
Not sure about the rest, but CBS definitely isn't something which needs treatment or fixing. There's a lot of dubious SNPs being flagged in the above report which aren't capable of causing problems, so you should probably read the published research papers regarding those SNPs before embarking on treating a potential non-issue.

Not sure about the rest, but CBS definitely isn't something which needs treatment or fixing. There's a lot of dubious SNPs being flagged in the above report which aren't capable of causing problems, so you should probably read the published research papers regarding those SNPs before embarking on treating a potential non-issue.

Let me see if I get this right. Your view (based on other posts that you have made) is that no mutations on SNPs matter because to many people have the same mutations and they are perfectly healthy? And the only thing you are taking is B12 and Folate?

I to was one of those healthy people, for 35 years. I was never sick, and I never got injured... Then one day, a boss decided to transfer me to another work site. A warehouse filled with thousands of different chemicals. Within a single hour, I got sick. Unfortunately I had to continue to work there for 6 whole days, before I could get transferred again. By that time, I had developed MCS.

If I never had been transferred in the first place, I might have been able to live my whole life (with my mutated SNPs) without ever getting sick.

If I am wrong, then could you please tell me which SNPs that matter and how to compensate(/treat) for them? Perhaps there is another test, than 23andMe (I included the most comprehensive report, I have Genetic Genie, Yasko etc to) and the Organic Acids test that I have taken, that provide better information on SNPs and overall health?

Valentijn

Your view (based on other posts that you have made) is that no mutations on SNPs matter because to many people have the same mutations and they are perfectly healthy?
Mutations certainly can matter. But none of the trendy ones on the CBS gene are having an impact.

And the only thing you are taking is B12 and Folate?
I don't take folate, except what I get from a B-multi. I also take antibiotics, magnesium, NAC, fish oil, and sometimes D. I inject a very high dose of hydroxoB12, but to help with pain, and not for methylation.

If I am wrong, then could you please tell me which SNPs that matter and how to compensate(/treat) for them?
You have to find a reputable source or read the research. I've read the research into the CBS SNPs, which is how I know they don't do a damned thing :p

Isn't it unnecessary to "reinvent the wheel" over and over again, so to speak? If Phoenix Rising have existed for 12 years, then there should be a nice knowledge base, to build upon. If not, we should put one together. For everyone to look through the same things as a lot of other people already have invested time in, is a waist...