• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Olive leaf extract

Kitsune

You've inspired me to get researching again, which I haven't done in years - I guess the research and the number of web pages out there has grown since then. So thank you! Have come across something called monolaurin in a brand called Lauricidin that I have just put on order to try:

http://www.jacobteitelbaum.com/health_articles_c_2/Cfs-fm-whats-new-in-shine-part-12.html

Coconuts are the food of the gods, so very healthy. Surely I can get on with that stuff. But my 'adventures' with it will have to be told on a different thread I think :)

Kitsune

Just thought I'd say that I find I am able to take Swanson's OLE (750mg) now. I'm aiming for three doses a day, though I am either still adjusting to that (a few niggly related symptoms) or it's causing some die-off. Not sure how this happened; I've been improving my supplement regime (will start Freddd's methylation protocol soon), though this might just have been a case of my body having to gradually get used to it. That certainly didn't happen with the first brand I tried. Anyway, if I notice any improvements that seem to be due to the OLE, I'll come back and post.

Violeta

Just thought I'd say that I find I am able to take Swanson's OLE (750mg) now. I'm aiming for three doses a day, though I am either still adjusting to that (a few niggly related symptoms) or it's causing some die-off. Not sure how this happened; I've been improving my supplement regime (will start Freddd's methylation protocol soon), though this might just have been a case of my body having to gradually get used to it. That certainly didn't happen with the first brand I tried. Anyway, if I notice any improvements that seem to be due to the OLE, I'll come back and post.
What are your few related symptoms from the OLE? Just asking because it can lower blood pressure.

Kitsune

Yes, that might be what's happening. I felt a bit woozy and very sleepy earlier this afternoon; also a bit of gastrointestinal discomfort and diarrhoea. But as none of it is bothering me too much, I think I'd like to press on and see how I go, as it could equally be die-off. The main reason I got the OLE out of the cupboard and started taking it 3 times a day a few days ago was because I got whacked with a nasty cold and wasn't fighting it off very well. This and/or my new vitamin B-complex seem to be keeping it at bay for now. If I'm able to stick with the OLE, I'd like to do so long-term as I originally wanted to, and pair that with the Lauricidin (which I'm only able to take a small bit of at the moment) to hopefully clear any potential virus problems.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
I started taking OLE again yesterday. 2.5mls in water twice a day.

I took it for about 18 mths in the past at the same dose without any problems but stopped it prior to a faecal test mid last year. I wasn't sure if it was doing anything for me so I gave it a rest.

I restarted it because I was looking for an antioxidant. It's a bit of a long story.

On my naturopath's advice I recently tried increasing CoQ10 from 75mg to 150mg a day. She wanted me to increase up to 300mg but I reacted badly to 150mg so I dropped it back. The naturopath wanted me to try boosting antiinflammatories with Nordic Naturals Omega 3 a couple of drops a day, then retry increasing CoQ10.

I reacted badly to the Omega 3. I did some research on PR about Omega 3 and was interested in Rich's view that in some people oxidative stress is increased by taking Omega 3. It seems that these people might benefit from working on methylation and increasing antioxidants. I hope I understood him correctly.

Anyway, I am already using very low dose methylation supplements so I thought I would go back to OLE for its antioxidant properties.

What I didn't expect was a full on die off reaction from the OLE. Seems I have bugs which required killing! So I am just going to tough it out in bed for a week or so if need be and see what happens.

I was aware of OLE's other properties but just didn't realise I had ongoing bacteria, viruses etc.

Sharing this in case it helps others.

Best wishes Andy

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Update: I was pretty much bedridden for a week after taking OLE but since then I have felt a lot better.

Still have the usual ME/CFS symptoms but don't feel anywhere near as ill as before and have more energy.

Pretty sure the OLE killed off something I had been struggling with.

It also may be protecting me from new bugs. My husband had a nasty flu type bug last week and for the first time ever I didn't catch it from him.

I am going to continue to take OLE at the same dose for now.

Lazy Caveman

Another lazy caveman
I've tried OLE capsules off and on, and I'm sure they help with the underlying virus etc.
The main reason I stopped is that I've found echinacea to be more effective. I was taking it 4g daily (2g root 2g herb) as tea, along with a set of about a dozen other foods and oils. I noticed that when I stopped the echinacea I started going backwards really fast. So I increased to 4g twice per day and I'm feeling better than ever.
btw, I don't think the echinacea or OLE helps in isolation. It has to be in combination with a bunch of other good foods.