• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Valtrex: what should I expect?

alice111

@Thinktank oh really???! That's kind of what I'm getting like a restless anxiety! Is that what you mean? Like "wired"? Hm I might try backing down then.. I was doing really really well on 1/4 3x day FYI

@cornwellsb I wonder how it impacts hormones..did u read anything about that?

The dr put me in doxepin (silinor) to help sleep. Simply amazing ... the only thing is you have to take 2 hours before bed and get 8 hours sleep or you feel like a zombie when you wake ... actually I still feel like a zombie when I wake but it passes quick. I have not slept this well since I was a teen.

Thinktank

@alice111 , so, did you go back to 3 X 1/4 tab a day? Have the side effects lessened?

I'm on fluconazole now for 2 weeks, after that i will start LDN and valtrex, also 2 or 3 X 1/4 tab a day.
I also just received L-lysine, perhaps i'll give that a shot before going on the valtrex.

@Thinktank oh really???! That's kind of what I'm getting like a restless anxiety! Is that what you mean? Like "wired"? Hm I might try backing down then.. I was doing really really well on 1/4 3x day FYI

@cornwellsb I wonder how it impacts hormones..did u read anything about that?

No I did not and only my own theory as I feel agggressive and slightly grumpy on them. I have read that it causes anxiety more in women than men but there was no definitive answer as to why. I have to give presentations in front of large groups of people and so far have not felt unusual anxiety. That being said, I have my testosterone checked regularly and it does not seem effected (although slightly better as of late) so I doubt estrogen is effected but there are lots of other hormones in our body that can effect mood.

alice111

@Thinktank I actually get that reaction to many things as well!!

So I ended up sticking it out on the dose (1/2 tab 3x daily) and the anxiety/restlessness has subsided.

I can't be sure if it was a coincidence or not, but either way I am now forging forward. I will keep you updated! :)

The one thing I have noticed and maybe @cornwellsb you have some thoughts? It seems like the valtrex might be impacting my cortisol. I say this because I have had some similar symptoms that I had when I was on hydrocortisone. For example, changes in my waking time, puffiness, etc - but these all seem to be fluctuating, so I am not too concerned.. I just find it interesting I guess hah! Guineapig

@Thinktank I actually get that reaction to many things as well!!

So I ended up sticking it out on the dose (1/2 tab 3x daily) and the anxiety/restlessness has subsided.

I can't be sure if it was a coincidence or not, but either way I am now forging forward. I will keep you updated! :)

The one thing I have noticed and maybe @cornwellsb you have some thoughts? It seems like the valtrex might be impacting my cortisol. I say this because I have had some similar symptoms that I had when I was on hydrocortisone. For example, changes in my waking time, puffiness, etc - but these all seem to be fluctuating, so I am not too concerned.. I just find it interesting I guess hah! Guineapig

Maybe ... my dr actually requested cortisol tests for some reason which I find out Friday. She didn't say why.

Thinktank

Thanks for the update @alice111
I'm glad to hear that the anxiety has subsided.

I wouldn't mind it if valtrex increased cortisol a bit, i've been deficient in cortisol for years now.

Thinktank

I've tried valtrex twice now, even a very low dosage of 1/4 tab twice daily makes me feel kinda restless.
I've also noticed it intensifies my viral symptoms and i get this annoying pain in my neck.
@alice111 , sorry to bother you again, but how's it going for you? You've been on it for a bitter over a month now.

alice111

@Thinktank glad you asked I meant to give an update! So I'm up to 1 tab (500mg) 3 times a day. So far I'm definitely seeing improvements. I'm also having some strange things happening but I feel like that's just going to be part of the process... so far nothing that sticks around for long

As for your reaction have you tried starting at 1/8 of a tab, I realized I think that's actually what I started at! how long have the symptoms lasted, like how long have you stayed on a dose for? Also just a thought but I was already on LDN are you on it? The other thing I was taking before starting was the KI which I think i linked in an earlier post?

drob31

I had no side-effects with valtrex, but I also had no benefits from it... I was taken off of it in around 3-4 b/c my doc said that was when I could have expected an effect.

By 3-4, do you mean 3-4 months?

drob31

I started 1.5 months on Valtrex (l gram x 3 day) and L-Lysine (same). In addition Vit B complex, AHCC, Alpha CRS, Maitak DMG, Baicalin, tumeric, cats claw, licorice root, immuno DMG (Beta Glucan), CBD. I eat clean, non-gmo mostly fruit smoothies laced with tumeric, ginger, thyme and cilantro.

I'm having good days and bad. Still more bad than good though. I can now feel this "thing" cycle daily as well as every 3-4 days I'll get slammed.

I was originally diagnosed with Parkinson's. I am now having almost no tremor (Off all PD meds, yay!) Anti-inflammatories really help too, especially for the neurological aspect.

So, I can say that I have improvement but a long ways to go. My Doc says somewhere close to a year for his patients. He's treated over 2000 with a 70% success rate.

Have you ever been tested for Lyme?

drob31

@Thinktank glad you asked I meant to give an update! So I'm up to 1 tab (500mg) 3 times a day. So far I'm definitely seeing improvements. I'm also having some strange things happening but I feel like that's just going to be part of the process... so far nothing that sticks around for long

As for your reaction have you tried starting at 1/8 of a tab, I realized I think that's actually what I started at! how long have the symptoms lasted, like how long have you stayed on a dose for? Also just a thought but I was already on LDN are you on it? The other thing I was taking before starting was the KI which I think i linked in an earlier post?

Glad to hear it's working for you. Personally I had slightly elevated titers for EBV/HHV6 last year. The I got sick, and the hospital tested for EBV and it came back positive, which I think meant the titers went way back up again. In any case I think ebv is involved somehow. So I ordered some Valtrex from alldaychemist to try out. I've been doing ok lately from vitamin C, so I haven't started it yet, but I do know there are many things I can try.

Another thing I should mentioned is that nexavir would cover HHV6 and EBV as well.

Thinktank

@alice111 , i've started back on the valtrex today, 3 x 1/8 tab. So far so good. I will try to push through the restless anxiety phase because i've nothing to do for the coming weeks anyway.
How long did it take for you to build up to 3 x 500mg?

I've ordered LDN last week actually, i'm planning to start on 0.5 mg/daily or even lower than that.
I tried LDN a few times before at 1.5mg but it always gave me insomnia.

The KI immune support herbal formula contains;
Astragalus membranaceus root 5g (Astragalus)
Lentinula edodes mushroom 3g (Shiitake Mushroom)
Olea europaea leaf 2g (Olive tree leaf)

edawg81

I'm also on valtrex 1g twice a day, for 4 months (with a six week break a 1.5g/day due to insomnia). I'm trying to get to 3g/day but everytime I go above 2g, I get more feverishness and my insomnia gets a lot worse. Before I was on this protocol I was on famvir 1g/ day and valtrex 1g/ day for month till i settled on a treatment protocol. I have high EBV and CMV IGG titers and tested positive for EBV EA. So far since my onset in May my feverishness symptoms have calmed down some and I would like to think the Valtrex has something to do with it. I hope to see more dramatic improvement if I can tolerate a higher dose over the next few months based on Lerner's protocol. I am treating the insomnia and anxiety with other meds now and that seems to help some. Its hard to tell what symptoms are the illness and whats from the valtrex.

alice111

@Thinktank oh good! I hope it works out for you! Just go super slow, so far the feeling happens every some times when I increase, but it does pass! I think I increased by 1/8 every 5 days. so for example
Day 1 1/8 tab once
Day 6 1/8 tab twice daily
Etc so literally only increasing ONE of my doses my an 1/8 I knooow it's painfully slow haha but I've found if I do things that way in the end it's quicker cus I don't end up having to start and restart things so much.

As for the LDN defs start at 0.5 I take mine in the morning, and with that one I increased by 0.5 every two weeks

When I hit 3.5 things got bad so I had to back down, it seems 2.5 is my sweet spot and I've been doing really well on it.

Also just a warning if u do try the KI it's pretty powerful, again my "sweet spot" was less than the advised dose, I take 1/2 a tablet twice a day.

Let me know how it goes! :)

Thinktank

Well, i couldn't even tolerate 1/8th of a valtrex pill a day without feeling restless so i'm going to try valcyte next.

Hope you are doing well @alice111

alice111

@Thinktank oh no! Sorry to hear that that's so frustrating! :( there's Also famvir, I don't know how it compares to the other two tho..

I'm doing ok! I havent increased again, I had a pretty bad crash so been waiting to recover. It was fully my fault hah! Anyway overall still feeling like I'm having improvements (knock on wood)

I wonder if you should give LDN a try first?