• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why do I feel sick after water exposure?

Hip

so I can present this to my doctor, when I'm external stimulated (i.e., touched in a specific manner), the body releases a specific endorphin known as beta endorphin. The beta endorphin -- in my case -- is suspected of modulating the immune system in such a way that I feel sick.

I would not have thought that a doctor is going to take notice of such a wild hypothesis like that, as it is not even known to medical science (as far as I am aware). But no harm in mentioning it to him.

Thanks for that brainstorming! I know you're just guessing, but I really appreciate your helping me develop a reasonable hypothesis that I can test (not sure how yet, though).

As mentioned, you could test the idea with low-dose naltrexone or codeine. Also supplements known to boost endorphins like D-phenylalanine or germanium sesquioxide should worsen your negative response to showering etc.

I would not have thought that a doctor is going to take notice of such a wild hypothesis that (as far as I am aware) is not even known to medical science. But no harm in mentioning it to him.

Oh yeah, my integrative physician is great and so open-minded. She's even an advocate of LDN!

Thanks for the avoidance advice!

I'm just a really complex case with regards to this symptom. When trying to figure out a wild symptom, you'll need a wild hypothesis, because who knows, it may actually be right or help open the door to other possibilities!

@Hip, I really appreciate your time, energy, knowledge, and wild proposition. I won't bug you anymore, but I thank you ever so much!! All my best to you! :D

Hip

@Hip, I really appreciate your time, energy, knowledge, and wild proposition. I won't bug you anymore, but I thank you ever so much!! All my best to you!

Glad it has been helpful. I am really tired at the moment, due to a new medication I am trying, otherwise I might have come up with one or two other ideas. I was wondering whether the effect of stimulation of the nerves in the skin might sending signals that perturb the brain. You get weird responses to tactile stimulation sometimes in fibromyalgia and ME/CFS, such as allodynia, where you feel pain to a gentle touch that would not normally cause pain. But too tired to think it through at present. If I have any further ideas at a later date, I'll post.

Glad it has been helpful. I am really tired at the moment, due to a new medication I am trying, otherwise I might have come up with one or two other ideas. I was wondering whether the effect of stimulation of the nerves in the skin might sending signals that perturb the brain. You get weird responses to tactile stimulation sometimes in fibromyalgia and ME/CFS, such as allodynia, where you feel pain to a gentle touch that would not normally cause pain. But too tired to think it through at present. If I have any further ideas at a later date, I'll post.

That's okay! You've given me a great start already for this problem.

I always felt like this strange symptom occurred primarily in my head, but my nervous system as well. I did some quick research from the information you gave me and found this from NCBI. I wonder if these microglia are involved in some way:

Naltrexone, however, exerts its effects on humans via at least two distinct receptor mechanisms. In addition to the antagonist effect on mu-opioid and other opioid receptors, naltrexone simultaneously has an antagonist effect on non-opioid receptors (Toll-like receptor 4 or TLR4) that are found on macrophages such as microglia. It is via the non-opioid antagonist path that LDN is thought to exert its anti-inflammatory effects. Microglia are central nervous system immune cells that are activated by a wide range of triggers. Once activated, microglia produce inflammatory and excitatory factors that can cause sickness behaviors such as pain sensitivity, fatigue, cognitive disruption, sleep disorders, mood disorders, and general malaise. When chronically activated, the resulting proinflammatory cascade may become neurotoxic, causing several deleterious effects.

To further encourage ideas, or support what has been mentioned already, here is a list of specific instances which induce this unusual, debilitating feeling:
  • Taking a normal, whole body, really warm shower (location is irrelevant)
  • Taking a warm bath without putting my head under the water
  • Placing just my head under running, ice cold water for less than a minute
  • Taking a warm shower in which the water only touches my legs on down
  • Standing out in the rain for a couple of minutes, head exposed
  • Massaging just my scalp with a dry (powdered) shampoo
  • Getting a haircut or doing my hair :(

• I have the a very similar problem, exactly the same instances.
    The only difference is symptom-wise. My main ME problems (sore throat, brain fog, urinary infection) get worst the second day after the water exposition.

Quick update! I'm still experiencing this unusual reaction after showering or shaving with an electric razor, but I have a new clue.

The following day after taking a shower (head exposed to water) or shaving my face with an electric razor, I find my sinuses become clogged. It becomes extremely difficult to breath through my nose because a very hard mucous seems to form in my sinus cavity.

It feels like my nose is extremely stuffed, but without the running or an inability to blow my nose. Nothing comes out when I blow.

I saw an ENT recently and that really was just a waste of time. I have chronic inflammation and deviated septum -- no surprise there. A while back, when I was in school, I was diagnosed with post nasal drip.

Any takers? :rolleyes: