• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BREAKING NEWS: KARINA HANSEN HOME

Simon

Great news, from the Facebook page of ME Global Chronicle.

apologies if already posted

To just a handful of people it was known already, amongst whom the editors of the MEGC, but now Karina and her parents gave personal permission to share it with the whole global ME-community, and especially with those who showed interest in her life during the last 44 months, by posting and commenting on walls, writing articles and blogs, sending her postcards on several occasions, writing the Danish parliament and the psychiatrists involved, twittering about her etc. etc.

We think the global community, as a whole, rendered her a tremendous service by all the support it gave without personally attacking psychiatrists Fink and Christensen, involved in Karina’s case, and thus showed how precious and mature it is. That, according to us, is a significant proof that we can handle and overcome all barriers between us and the final recognition of ME as an intensely severe, at times deathly disease. All signs are pointers to that truth.

On Monday 17th October Karina's parents Per & Ketty went to fetch her at the rehabilitation centre in Hammel, Jutland where she spent the last two years of her enforced removal from her ancestral home. No one could prevent Karina from accompanying her parents if she personally would consent to go home. Initially she was to stay home for one week on a holiday, but at the end of that week Per & Ketty called the staff of the rehabilitation centre that Karina had expressed the wish to stay home instead of returning. Part of the staff was very glad about this joyful situation.

At the request of Karina’s parents this has been kept silent by those who knew about it, as it wasn’t sure yet she would not return to the center. The first week at home Karina smiled when Ketty showed her the pages on Fb with all the people who are following her.

Top-lawyer Cristina Poblador will try and let return the custody over Karina to herself again (in case the court decides otherwise, one of the parents should be the guardian).

As this will involve considerable expenses, the credit balance of the fund Save4Children will be entirely used for that process. You can contribute to the fund via the link http://let-me.be/page.php?11

It is extremely necessary to remove the custody of Karina by court order, for which funds are needed to pay Mrs. Poblador’s fees.

If there's more news about her condition, we will publish it on the wall of the ME Global Chronicle http://www.facebook.com/groups/TheMEGlobalChronicle/. So off and on take a look there as well.

Many of the community had their share in communicating news about Karina throughout the years and it would take an entire page to mention them all. But we gladly make an exception for two persons:

Bente Stenfalk, a most valiant Danish ME-patient who was the contact between Karina’s parents and the ‘outside’ world and who with great wisdom and sense of discrimination shared only that news which was certain not to damage or be of disadvantage to Karina and her family.

Valerie Eliot Smith, British ME-patient and due to her ME, inactive lawyer, who all along has written several painstakingly detailed blogs on Karina and her precarious situation after informing herself thoroughly about the reality of the rumours and facts that were circulating:

https://valerieeliotsmith.com/category/karina-hansen/

As editors of the ME Global Chronicle and creators and maintainers of the fund Save4Children we are deeply indebted to both.

You can donate here: http://let-me.be/page.php?11
Help Karina Hansen – donate to Save4Children - The ME ...

You might want to send Karina a postcard for her birthday on 7th November. Here’s her address once more:

Karina Hansen
Kløvermarken 8
7500 Holstebro, Denmark

Last edited:

Simon

Thank you, Valerie

KARINA HANSEN, “PRISONER OF DENMARK”, IS HOME AT LAST.

On Monday 17 October 2016, after three and a half years of incarceration, Karina finally returned home to her family. The arrangement was on a trial basis but in the hope and expectation that she would be finally and permanently back where she belongs.

In recent weeks, Karina’s condition had improved slightly and her parents were able to visit her on a regular basis (more detail in my previous post). As a result, meetings took place between those in charge of the Clinic at Hammel where she had been an inmate since February 2013 (see Karina’s Story below for background) and representatives of Karina’s family. An arrangement for Karina’s return home was agreed whereby her parents would take her home within the next few days and she would remain there for a trial period. If all went well, she would stay on at home permanently.

Significantly, Karina was well enough to sign a document saying that she wanted to go home with her parents. Although she was still unable to speak, she was able to communicate via gestures that she understood the plan and wished it to happen....

Sasha

Fine, thank you
This is fantastic news. Thanks for posting, @Simon.

Just drawing attention once more to these two actions that people can take:

ME Global Chronicle said:
Top-lawyer Cristina Poblador will try and let return the custody over Karina to herself again (in case the court decides otherwise, one of the parents should be the guardian).

As this will involve considerable expenses, the credit balance of the fund Save4Children will be entirely used for that process. You can contribute to the fund via the link http://let-me.be/page.php?11

It is extremely necessary to remove the custody of Karina by court order, for which funds are needed to pay Mrs. Poblador’s fees.

You might want to send Karina a postcard for her birthday on 7th November. Here’s her address once more:

Karina Hansen
Kløvermarken 8
7500 Holstebro, Denmark

Last edited:
Extremely glad that this has happened. The situation for Danish CFS / ME sufferers is very disturbing. Personally, I was just recently referred to two different psycho-babble clinics in Copenhagen at once. Would rather be mauled by a bear The Revenant style than show up, be told that I suffer from 'false-illness belief', and that it is all 'my fault' (and yes that is straight up what happens).

I am a bit confused by the legal aspect of it all though, sadly I simply do not have the energy to check it out.

Last edited:

Effi

Such amazing news!!! But still makes me sad to think how long she has been locked up in there, and how much damage it has done to her health... I can't believe this stuff is still happening today... :(

Aurator

I'm relieved for her and her family, and admire those who worked so hard for this, but feel no sense of triumph. This should never have happened in the first place, and irreparable damage has been done.

As someone who was once prosecuted for a crime I was completely innocent of, I can tell you that when the machinery of injustice stops and releases you, you are left only with a sense of numbness and disbelief that you ever had to go through the experience in the first place. For me there was no joy, only bitterness, which I carry with me to this day.

Karina now has to live with or overcome the same bitterness, as well as a terrible and still incurable medical condition that has been made much worse as a result of her enforced incarceration.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
This is happy news to hear. It's good to know that finally someone had some sense in making the right decision.
What a relief for her and her family.

I hope what has happened here turns out to be a cautionary tale for anyone else who tries the same thing to someone else.

taniaaust1

Im of the thoughts that maybe those psychs only released her due to how the PACE trial is playing out. It would look so very bad if she's still locked up when that trial is completely discredited.

ts hard to be happy about this as its so horrific that she was locked away for 3 and a half years. I doubt if her and her family will ever get over this and of cause they arent going to be able to trust the medical profession much after this horror.

I are so glad that she's out of there now though. I hope one day her and her family are able to take legal action for this abuse and the fact that shes worst now due to this then at the time when they forced her to stay there. I think that clearly shows she was harmed.