• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Total loss of appetite & weight loss

Mary

Moderator Resource
New research has shown that acetaminophen should never be used for more than a couple of weeks. In as little as two weeks it can cause people to lose the ability to feel emotions. I don't know how long you have been on co-codamol, @fionac , but long term use of acetaminophen can also cause internal bleeding, liver problems, anorexia, and seizure disorders.

I didn't know about its emotion blunting effect or link to anorexia and seizure disorders. I did know that liver damage can be caused very easily by taking just a little more than the recommended dose of acetaminophen, and that it is the leading cause of acute liver failure.

hixxy

@charles shepherd I can't disagree more about your statement re weight loss. Can you please provide evidence that shows that people with ME/CFS never lose weight as a consequence of their disease including secondary symptoms that are a result of ME/CFS and included in relevant diagnostic criteria?

For instance, food sensitivity alone can cause weight loss and malnutrition. Not saying this is relevant for @flonac, but it certainly is for many.

Last edited:

kangaSue

@fionac What you describe are the classic symptoms of gastroparesis (GP), loss of appetite, feeling full very quickly when eating, nausea and unintentional weight loss and can also include vomiting, bloating and abdominal pain or discomfort.

These symptoms can be mild or severe and can fluctuate from day to day. An endoscopy will sometimes see excess food still in the stomach as something of a guide for a GP diagnosis but if you hadn't eaten much in the day/s prior to the procedure or your just having a good motility day, the stomach can look o.k. Gastritis can be a common finding too but you can severe GP without any sign of that.

A Gastric Emptying Study is the best test to check for GP but because of the fluctuation in symptoms (on on hourly basis, let alone a daily basis), it can often return a normal or low normal result. A motility agent such as domperidone is the go to drug (at least in Australia) that a G.P. will prescribe first to see if it alleviates symptoms but there's a fair percentage of those with a GP diagnosis that don't respond to this, or other motility agents.

Hypoperfusion of blood flow to the bowel is one mechanism that can cause GP, especially in those with low blood pressure with other autonomic dysfunction too, some common symptoms that will be easily recognize here on PR. Gabapentin is a commonly prescribed drug for neuropathic pain in those with GP.

@fionac What you describe are the classic symptoms of gastroparesis (GP), loss of appetite, feeling full very quickly when eating, nausea and unintentional weight loss and can also include vomiting, bloating and abdominal pain or discomfort.

These symptoms can be mild or severe and can fluctuate from day to day. An endoscopy will sometimes see excess food still in the stomach as something of a guide for a GP diagnosis but if you hadn't eaten much in the day/s prior to the procedure or your just having a good motility day, the stomach can look o.k. Gastritis can be a common finding too but you can severe GP without any sign of that.

A Gastric Emptying Study is the best test to check for GP but because of the fluctuation in symptoms (on on hourly basis, let alone a daily basis), it can often return a normal or low normal result. A motility agent such as domperidone is the go to drug (at least in Australia) that a G.P. will prescribe first to see if it alleviates symptoms but there's a fair percentage of those with a GP diagnosis that don't respond to this, or other motility agents.

Hypoperfusion of blood flow to the bowel is one mechanism that can cause GP, especially in those with low blood pressure with other autonomic dysfunction too, some common symptoms that will be easily recognize here on PR. Gabapentin is a commonly prescribed drug for neuropathic pain in those with GP.

Thank you kangaSue - that is another interesting option to explore, particularly as my appetite returned for a few weeks which happened to be around the time I had the endoscopy. Also the one 'good' day when I can manage a small meal being followed by a day when I can't eat anything much at all would fit.

I don't take co-codamol every day - just on bad ones - but shall certainly make a conscious effort to cut back on that too.

Thanks everyone!

dannybex

Hi Flonac,

My daughter like myself has CFS/ME. She has had a 25 lb unexplained weight loss. She has been experimenting with CBD oil with good results. If you medical work-up has found no cause, then this might be a reasonable consideration. I'm not sure what works better, CBD or THC. Severe weight loss can cause malnutrition with decreased pre albumin, albumin and immune function.

Best,
Gary

Has it helped because it stimulated her appetite or is there another reason?

kangaSue

Has it helped because it stimulated her appetite or is there another reason?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2219529/
[The emerging potential for the cannabinoid (CB) system in modulating gastrointestinal inflammation has gained momentum over the last few years. Traditional and anecdotal use of marijuana for gastrointestinal disorders, such as diarrhoea and abdominal cramps is recognized, but the therapeutic benefit of cannabinoids in the 21st century is overshadowed by the psychoactive problems associated with CB1 receptor activation. However, the presence and function of the CB2 receptor in the GI tract, whilst not yet well characterized, holds great promise due to its immunomodulatory roles in inflammatory systems and its lack of psychotropic effects.]

Tella

Thanks a lot, everyone. I really appreciate your input.

I think in this case there is a direct cause to the weight loss, and that is loss of appetite and therefore reduced food intake. My query really is whether a totally new side effect like this can appear, after 11 years on a medication?

My dilemma is also that it could be the result of a number of other things - I am also on co-codamol, it could be depression (although don't think so), or just a new ME symptom. My GP has, thankfully, ruled out more serious causes but how do I start to try to get to the bottom of it without worsening my condition? I'm already in the midst of a big relapse and back in bed.
Hey it’s been a few years. I’m suffering from nausea and no appetite. Did anything work for u and how long did it all last? Thanks.