• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POTS and Heart Pounding

What is your worst POTS symptom?

• Heart pounding

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Feinting/light headedness

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

sb4

Hey, Heart pounding is by far my worst symptom however I don't get the impression that most other pots would say the same.

Who else finds this there worst symptom? What type of pots do you think you have? What do you do to help it?

I think I have hyper pots, high blood pressure, and do not crave salt.

halcyon

The palpitations are bothersome for sure, but the worst to me is the whole body weakness when you've been upright for too long. Where you can truly feel that your brain is not getting enough blood flow and your body is screaming at you to lay down immediately. And how you can never predict how long you can be upright before that happens.

Also, that horrible sick feeling you get after taking a warm shower. I don't think I need to describe it, everyone with POTS will know exactly what I mean.

sb4

Thanks for the replies.

I am thinking that maybe those who have more sympathetic pots (hyper) will have heart pounding as a worse symptom, whereas parasympathetic pots would have the weakness described by @halcyon...

ryan31337

Hi @sb4, I have predominately hyperPOTS.

Certainly the OI induced exhaustion and overwhelming urge to lie down mentioned by @halcyon & @Sushi is very problematic. Heart pounding in chest and pulsatile tinnitus can be frustrating too if it stops me from resting efficiently.

On the advice of a POTS-literate endo I switched to low-carb (Atkins diet) a month ago and the improvement has been life changing incredible. When I described my symptoms in the context of a tilt table test suggestive of POTS he immediately said you've got reactive hypoglycemia. I assume this is due to the adrenergic interactions, will ask more when I see him next.

I'll make a new post at some point with more detail as its not something I see discussed very often & I've never seen it in the literature. It could be something that's just more important for me than others but the doc was certainly aware of its connection to POTS. Definitely worth a go though, its simple to do and I felt like a new man after just a few days.

Ryan

sb4

@ryan31337 Great for you with the keto, I also recommend people who haven't tried it to do so.

For me however that isn't the solution, I was doing keto before I got ill and 5yrs after and slowly getting worse. I have decided to up carbs as my gastroparesis has gotten worse.

However I have heard pots makes it more difficult to control blood sugar and I think I have problems in this area now...

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Certainly the OI induced exhaustion and overwhelming urge to lie down mentioned by @halcyon & @Sushi is very problematic.
It isn't really an overwhelming urge to lie down. It is that if you don't sit down immediately (on the floor, in a store, in a parking lot, wherever) you will crash to the ground. Many have hit their heads when they crash down.

Alexi

Hi @sb4, I have predominately hyperPOTS.

Certainly the OI induced exhaustion and overwhelming urge to lie down mentioned by @halcyon & @Sushi is very problematic. Heart pounding in chest and pulsatile tinnitus can be frustrating too if it stops me from resting efficiently.

On the advice of a POTS-literate endo I switched to low-carb (Atkins diet) a month ago and the improvement has been life changing incredible. When I described my symptoms in the context of a tilt table test suggestive of POTS he immediately said you've got reactive hypoglycemia. I assume this is due to the adrenergic interactions, will ask more when I see him next.

I'll make a new post at some point with more detail as its not something I see discussed very often & I've never seen it in the literature. It could be something that's just more important for me than others but the doc was certainly aware of its connection to POTS. Definitely worth a go though, its simple to do and I felt like a new man after just a few days.

Ryan
Just jumping through this hoop myself and see cardiologist on Friday. Any tips on best questions to ask ?