• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PACE Trial and PACE Trial Protocol

Barry53

I thikn one of the statisticians said that they're preparing a paper for publication in a medical journal. Even White said the analysis was solid, so I doubt anything will change there. The process of peer review etc just takes time though.

Thanks. Do you have a link to where you heard this?

"The process of peer review etc just takes time though" ... but at least not as long as when the data is withheld :rolleyes:.

Esther12

Thanks. Do you have a link to where you heard this?

I can't remember I'm afraid. Possible the recent foreign language article that quoted from Sharpe and one of the re-analysis statisticians? If not that, something similar. It was just a sentence on them planning to publish in a journal, with no further details on it.

Tom Kindlon

Open access editorial:
http://hpq.sagepub.com/content/early/2016/10/27/1359105316675213.full.pdf.html

J Health Psychol. 2016 Nov 1. pii: 1359105316675213. [Epub ahead of print]
'PACE-Gate': When clinical trial evidence meets open data access.
Geraghty KJ1.
Author information
Abstract

Science is not always plain sailing and sometimes the voyage is across an angry sea. A recent clinical trial of treatments for chronic fatigue syndrome (the PACE trial) has whipped up a storm of controversy. Patients claim the lead authors overstated the effectiveness of cognitive behavioural therapy and graded exercise therapy by lowering the thresholds they used to determine improvement. In this extraordinary case, patients discovered that the treatments tested had much lower efficacy after an information tribunal ordered the release of data from the PACE trial to a patient who had requested access using a freedom of information request.

© The Author(s) 2016.

KEYWORDS:
chronic fatigue syndrome; clinical trials; cognitive behavioural therapy; psychotherapy; treatment

PMID:
DOI:
10.1177/1359105316675213
[PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Phoenix Rising thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/fresh-critical-look-at-pace-trial.47796/

Valentijn

Would it be worth trying to convince this guy that the PACE trial is the epitome of bad science, both because of its methodology and its harmful consequences for patients ?
They're already funding Ben Goldacre, so he'd probably just tell them PACE is awesome.

Gijs

About 75% of all scientific studies are propaganda. There is an absurd confidence in "science" and his method. There is no such universal scientific method that would make all study true. But it is the best we have.

Dolphin

Free full text: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022399914001883

Journal of Psychosomatic Research

Available online 22 April 2014

In Press, Accepted Manuscript — Note to users

Adverse events and deterioration reported by participants in the PACE trial of therapies for chronic fatigue syndrome

Dominic Dougall a,
A.L. Johnson b,
K. Goldsmith c,
M. Sharpe d,
B. Angus e,
T. Chalder f,
P.D. White g, Corresponding author

Table 4 gives data on the numbers and percentages of patients in the PACE Trial who have the following. I'm not sure if we were given this data before.

All depressive disorders
Major depressive disorder
Minor depressive disorder
Dysthymic disorder
All anxiety disorders
Generalised anxiety disorder
Fibromyalgia

Graham

Senior Moment
Interestingly, scrolling down to "discussion", 123 patients were morbidly obese. That could affect our comments about walking distances (although, of course, not the lack of difference between the groups).

In table B at the bottom, it would be interesting to know which was centre F, the one with so many more NSAEs.

I'm too muddle-headed at the moment to work out the relevance, but I notice that, overall, the results in table 4 for those meeting ME criteria, or the "all psychiatric" have roughly equal percentages in the ≤4 and the >4 columns for those who met the criteria as for those who did not. But when you get down to specific psychological criteria, such as minor depressive, the difference is much greater between those who have it and those who do not (9/91 and 12/88).