• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

OAT, PLEASE INTERPET

Jimbo39

Could someone interpet my thyroid test results as T3 is needed to convert FMN to FAD?

Thyroxine (T4) free. 1.02 ng/dl. .82-1.77
Thyroglobulin antibody. <1 iu/ml. 0-.9
Triiodothyronine, free. 2.7 pg/ml. 2.0-4.4
TSH. 1.93 uiu/ml. .45-4.5

It looks like everything is low. Do I have hypothyroidism?

From what I understand TSH is the hormone produced by the pituitary gland that stimulates the thyroid to produce T4 and T3?

Johnmac

Yes, interestingly, I'm not sure what I mean either! My assumption is that it gets used over again. That's what it sounds like, isn't it? I do know that when the B2 becomes active you actually 'get' the folate, or get to use it, and therefore need less. Perhaps @Johnmac or @ahmo could chime in on this. I know his need for folate lowered drastically as his B2 became more functional; possibly hers as well. This has been the case for me, too. I seem to need less folate than I did before I began to work on the B2. In fact, at this point, I'm wondering if I need any folate...

Just trying to 'read' my body. It's a pretty dense book to get through!

I forget the mechanics Kath (biochemistry bores me to tears I'm afraid); but I do know that I don't seem to need methylfolate since I've added B2. (Nor potassium.) I eat plenty of green leafy; I get small leg cramps if I don't.

Kathevans

I do know that I don't seem to need methylfolate since I've added B2. (Nor potassium.)
Yes, the process has been a long one for me; I had to titrate up and back down just to see what happened, believing initially that I needed the folate and now that perhaps that I need no extra (outside of dietary) at all. And the same for the potassium. I think I'm down to 1serving of about 300mg/day. I do still have my very strange tight face/cheeks/neck/trapezius area and head tingling, but at this point, I'm beginning to wonder if I need more than the one squirt of the B-12 Oils/day. I've been supplementing with the Enzymatic sublinguals for cover of the symptoms--which perhaps they seem to do. I'm up to an extra 3mg or so a day and my body seems to want more.

What a process this is...

At the moment I'm still considering that there may be other deficiencies as well that are limiting the resolution of symptoms: extra selenium need despite the 3 Brazil Nuts/day -I'm titrating up very slowly, only up to 18 mcg/day now; extra copper need (I had an extreme reaction to a tiny amount last week) I came out borderline on my Nutreval test of over a year ago and am about to have another.

Johnmac

At the moment I'm still considering that there may be other deficiencies as well that are limiting the resolution of symptoms: extra selenium need despite the 3 Brazil Nuts/day -I'm titrating up very slowly, only up to 18 mcg/day now; extra copper need (I had an extreme reaction to a tiny amount last week) I came out borderline on my Nutreval test of over a year ago and am about to have another.

Kath,

Stop press (from Greg):

One thing new on the brazil nuts. On further investigation brazil nuts actually have selenomethionine, not selenocysteine, so they may not be the best source of selenium. I have stopped taking them now. Kind of annoying as they are put up as foods with selenium in them (which they do have) but it is not the right form.

Kathevans

One thing new on the brazil nuts. On further investigation brazil nuts actually have selenomethionine, not selenocysteine, so they may not be the best source of selenium. I have stopped taking them now. Kind of annoying as they are put up as foods with selenium in them (which they do have) but it is not the right form.
Oh my.... And I was wondering why my response to the selenium I was taking was so strong if my body was already used to it.

Thank you for this. I will be happy to stop eating them as many a nut had a moldy taste and I'd have to spit those out... Are you supplementing with another form? How much? Ultimately I'd like to find a good multi mineral with a balance in it. Though I suppose individual needs may well depend on our snps, as does the methylation...

Johnmac

I worked out I get enough Se from lamb & chicken, Kath.

From memory Greg said to just make sure you get enough - not necessarily to supplement.

I'm really trying to minimise the supplements these days.

Oh my.... And I was wondering why my response to the selenium I was taking was so strong if my body was already used to it.

Thank you for this. I will be happy to stop eating them as many a nut had a moldy taste and I'd have to spit those out... Are you supplementing with another form? How much? Ultimately I'd like to find a good multi mineral with a balance in it. Though I suppose individual needs may well depend on our snps, as does the methylation...

alicec

It looks like everything is low. Do I have hypothyroidism

You want TSH and thyroglobulin antibody to be low. TSH is the signalling hormone from the pituitary which stimulates thyroid hormone production. When the latter is low, TSH will rise to try to stimulate more thyroid hormone. High TSH is a sign of hypothyroidism.

Thyroglobulin antibody is an autoantibody which rises in Hashimoto's. None to very low is what you want.

T3 and T4 are reasonable so no obvious signs of hypothyroidism.

alicec

Stop press (from Greg):

I don't think that's right.

Dietary selenenium is mainly in the form of selenomethionine as a free amino acid from plants and as selenomethionine and selenocysteine incorporated into proteins from animals.

The biologically active form is selenocysteine incorporated into selenoproteins which act as antioxidants.

Selenomethionine can be randomly incorporated into proteins instead of methionine, but it plays no special role there - it is just a substitute for methionine. More usually it will be processed and the selenium liberated for incorporation into selenocysteine which is the biologically active form.

Supplemented or food-based selenocysteine is also processed to liberate selenium for the de novo synthesis of selenocysteine which occurs as it is being incorporated into proteins ( there is a special codon for selenocysteine and its inclusion in proteins is genetically coded - not random as with selenomethionine).

There is no special advantage to selenocysteine supplements since they are broken down to liberate the selenium in the same way as selenomethionine.

Either selenomethionine or selenocysteine are well absorbed in supplemental form.

Kathevans

Thank you @alicec The science of it all is beyond me, although I will say I have more of a reaction to the selenocysteine as drops than I ever had to the selenomethionine in the Brazil Nuts. It makes me tired,as so many supps seem to (though not as much as the molybdenum...). You say they are both broken down in the same way, but Is it just easier for the body to utilize minerals in the food we eat? Or, perhaps a different mechanism than is required for absorption of a chemical compound in the absence of everything else that might exist in food?

alicec

You say they are both broken down in the same way, but Is it just easier for the body to utilize minerals in the food we eat? Or, perhaps a different mechanism than is required for absorption of a chemical compound in the absence of everything else that might exist in food

It might be that the selenomethionine in brazil nuts (or other plants) is released slowly and hence is absorbed more slowly compared with an isolated supplement. With animal foods where the seleno-aminoacids are incorporated into proteins, the selenium would become available even more slowly.

Johnmac

Could someone interpet my thyroid test results as T3 is needed to convert FMN to FAD?

Thyroxine (T4) free. 1.02 ng/dl. .82-1.77
Thyroglobulin antibody. <1 iu/ml. 0-.9
Triiodothyronine, free. 2.7 pg/ml. 2.0-4.4
TSH. 1.93 uiu/ml. .45-4.5

It looks like everything is low. Do I have hypothyroidism?

From what I understand TSH is the hormone produced by the pituitary gland that stimulates the thyroid to produce T4 and T3?

I don't claim thyroid expertise, but I believe that the T3 & T4 ranges may be wrong (just as the iron studies ones are). The thyroid forums such as "Stop the thyroid madness" school would agree.

I had readings in the low normal range like you, & responded well to T3 supplementation.

alicec

I had readings in the low normal range like you, & responded well to T3 supplementation.

My readings are worse (though still only mild hypothyroidism) and T3 made me feel worse.

I agree that the T3 and T4 are a little on the low side but in the overall scheme of things, hypothyroidism wouldn't be high on my priority list of things to address. Maybe later.

Jimbo39

I've had a setback. I feel like I've gone back 6 months. Looking at my journal, I think it may have started when I quit taking colostrum (too expensive). It seems, to me, everything starts with the gut. Started getting gut pain, inflammation, then brain fog and zero energy. Went downhill from there. Right now I have a sinus infection and what feels like a low grade fever. Maybe it's because of my doc's discontinuation of AV. It's so crazy confusing.

I can't seem to take more than 1/4 tab of B12 and folate. Too stimulating. I'm getting wild cortisol surges with pounding heart tho I'm not sure if it's related. I haven't taken LCF. Would this have anything to do with this? What purpose does it serve? Maybe I'm like @caledonia and need to take a different approach?

caledonia

I've had a setback. I feel like I've gone back 6 months. Looking at my journal, I think it may have started when I quit taking colostrum (too expensive). It seems, to me, everything starts with the gut. Started getting gut pain, inflammation, then brain fog and zero energy. Went downhill from there. Right now I have a sinus infection and what feels like a low grade fever. Maybe it's because of my doc's discontinuation of AV. It's so crazy confusing.

I can't seem to take more than 1/4 tab of B12 and folate. Too stimulating. I'm getting wild cortisol surges with pounding heart tho I'm not sure if it's related. I haven't taken LCF. Would this have anything to do with this? What purpose does it serve? Maybe I'm like @caledonia and need to take a different approach?

Pounding heartbeats could be potassium deficiency pursuant to taking methylation supplements. I needed 3000mg of potassium gluconate powder for 4 years. Now I do 50mg.

Some people do find the methyl supps overstimulating and do better with tiny amounts like under 50mcg.

A stool test could help narrow down what's going on with the gut, but in general, people have candida and anti fungal herbs like caprylic acid or grapefruit seed extract can be helpful.

I was having flu like symptoms - extra fatigued, muscle and joint aches and low fevers from candida. The anti fungals would keep it at bay. I had to rotate to a new one once a year as it would wear out and the symptoms would return.

Ultimately, my gut and my thyroid recovered by getting my last mercury filling out. I'm currently chelating out mercury, lead and arsenic using the Andrew Cutler frequent dose chelation protocol. More info is in my signature link.

Jimbo39

Pounding heartbeats could be potassium deficiency pursuant to taking methylation supplements. I needed 3000mg of potassium gluconate powder for 4 years. Now I do 50mg.

So far, I can only tolerate about 100 mg potassium. I had a bad reaction to mag but am doing much better with transdermal.

A stool test could help narrow down what's going on with the gut, but in general, people have candida and anti fungal herbs like caprylic acid or grapefruit seed extract can be helpful.

My stool test revealed low candida (low +1). However, my athletes foot has been flairing up which, to me, is a indication of a poorly functioning immune system.

Ultimately, my gut and my thyroid recovered by getting my last mercury filling out. I'm currently chelating out mercury, lead and arsenic using the Andrew Cutler frequent dose chelation protocol. More info is in my signature link.

Serum test show low heavy metals with the exception of cadmium. I probably need to do the, what do you call it, deranged mineral test?

caledonia

So far, I can only tolerate about 100 mg potassium. I had a bad reaction to mag but am doing much better with transdermal.

Could be the form, for example, I don't do well with mag citrate or anything citrate. Or it could be the fillers, for example I stopped tolerating xylitol. I'm doing well with Pure Bulk magnesium glycinate powder. No fillers, just pure mag.

My stool test revealed low candida (low +1). However, my athletes foot has been flairing up which, to me, is a indication of a poorly functioning immune system.

Low candida is still candida? If you decided to try an herbal antifungal, you should feel a difference within a few days. I don't think it would hurt if you didn't have candida.

Are you taking probiotics? Most of the immune system is in the gut. I do the typical lacto/bifido strains, but also saccharomyces boulardii.

Serum test show low heavy metals with the exception of cadmium. I probably need to do the, what do you call it, deranged mineral test?

Yes, it's a Doctors Data hair test showing both toxic metals and essential elements (minerals). Then when its interpreted, you look at the mineral section with Cutler's counting rules to see if there is deranged mineral transport. I have the link to the right test in my signature link. Only $85 to test, interpretation is free.

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
Right now I have a sinus infection and what feels like a low grade fever.
@Jimbo39 I highly recommend that you use a diffuser with a few drops of antimicrobial essential oils, in a bit of water, and inhale the vapors at 1-2 feet which you can do in bed or while on the computer. I've had very good luck getting rid of stubborn sinus infections by doing this. The oils are gently delivered to your sinuses where they will penetrate biofilms, (unlike antibiotics which do not penetrate the physical structure of a biofilm,) and promote healing.

Note that respiratory infections are very hard on your adrenals. :cautious:

Check out this thread for details and particular therapeutic grade (not aroma therapy grade) essential oils:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ry-mast-cell-madness.46987/page-2#post-776952

Sinus infections are notoriously hard to kick. This time of year respiratory illness becomes very common so I always start taking Source Naturals Wellness Formula Herbal Defense Complex in either capsules or horse pills. With vitamins, minerals and herbs it is a good all in one defense. (I have no relationship with this company.) This product is available at Sprouts and many other places.

I always keep it on hand so that when I am too sick to think, it is there. Better than trying to sort through 30+ bottles of different things...o_O http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1345/

https://smile.amazon.com/Source-Nat...8-1&keywords=source naturals wellness formula

Hang in there. I've been very surprised at how quickly my sinus infection went away by using the essentials oils.:hug:

Jimbo39

Low candida is still candida? If you decided to try an herbal antifungal, you should feel a difference within a few days. I don't think it would hurt if you didn't have candida.

Are you taking probiotics? Most of the immune system is in the gut. I do the typical lacto/bifido strains, but also saccharomyces boulardii.

I think all of us have candida. I've never heard of anyone having shown o candida on their test. Correct me if I'm wrong. Yes I'm taking probiotics. Also fermented foods and RS.

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
my athletes foot has been flairing up
@Jimbo39 I find that tea tree oil is a good external anti-fungal.
  1. Athlete's Foot - Dr. Weil
    http://www.drweil.com/health-wellness/body-mind-spirit/feet/athletes-foot/ Dr. Weil explains treatment options for athlete's foot in this article. ... An excellent natural remedy is tea tree oil, extracted from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia.
  2. How I Use Tea Tree Oil to Treat Tinea Pedis (Athletes Foot) - Bren Did
    http://brendid.com/use-tea-tree-oil-to-treat-tinea-pedis-athletes-foot/ I used to buy over-the-counter anti-fungal products, Learn how I use tea tree oil to treat Tinea Pedis (athletes foot) - the fungus is gone in DAYS!
  3. tea tree oil: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings – WebMD
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...-113-tea tree oil.aspx?activeingredientid=113 Tea tree oil is applied to the skin (used topically) for infections such as acne, fungal infections of the nail (onychomycosis), lice, scabies, athlete's foot (tinea ...
  4. Athlete's Foot - The Natural Cure For Athlete's Foot - PureNewYou.com
    http://www.purenewyou.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=173 Athlete's foot is a very common skin infection of the foot caused by fungus. It is often ... Tea Tree Oil: The very effective natural way to help heal athlete's foot
  5. Home Remedies for Athlete's Foot - Can They Help? - Verywell
    https://www.verywell.com/home-remedies-for-athletes-foot-88221 Jun 25, 2016 ... In alternative medicine, the most common home remedy for athlete's foot is tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia). Tea tree oil has a long history of ...
  6. 10 Natural Remedies for Athlete's Foot - Global Healing Center
    http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/athletes-foot-home-remedy/ Sep 1, 2009 ... Add 40 Drops of Organic Tea Tree Oil to a foot bath and soak your feet for 10 minutes. After soaking and thoroughly drying the feet, massage a ...
  7. Athlete's foot treatments and cures - Reader's Digest
    http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/heal...letes-foot/athletes-foot-treatments-and-cures There are many athlete's foot cures and remedies, from the more traditional ... Olive oil helps to tenderise skin toughened by athlete's foot so that tea-tree oil is ...
  8. ...