• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Don't Get Your Thyroid Out...Ever. Leave It In Until It Kills You.

digital dog

It's a bloody nightmare situation.
I need thyroid medication but everytime I take it I go crazy. I become totoally unhinged and cant sleep.
What are we meant to do if our thyroids are not working (or out!) but we cannot take the meds?
I'm very very scared as I am sure you are Misfit because I have treid EVERYTHING to repair my thyroid naturally but my levels keep getting worse.
I cannot continue to live like this.
What on earth are you going to do Misfit? What does your endo say? I am seeeing a speciliast next week but I doubt they will be able to say anything new.
I'm sorry you are in this situation. I was thinking of getting mine out but after reading your posts I think that could be more problematic.

Misfit Toy

@digital dog -I don't know. I have no idea. I don't understand. I was told that I would be fine on thyroid meds, but I am so sick. I am so sorry you are going through this, too.

I have read it says it's impossible to be allergic to T4, but really? Why am I so sick then?

I just know that since having my thyroid out, I am disabled. I feel like it's going to be the end of me if I can't take anything.

And, it's not reverse T3. My reverse T3 is so low because I am hardly on any T4.

digital dog

Perhaps it isnt that you are allergic to it but that your body is unable to metabolise/process it.
I think that is my problem as I can rarely take anyhting that others can tolerate.

I feel like it is the end of the line for me too unless something gives. I'm so sick of fightning this. I cant see the wood for the trees. Everything is too confusing and I hit a brick wall at every turn.

Paralee

@Misfit Toy and @digital dog, have you had your whole blood histimine checked?

There's something(s) that will keep thyroid from getting in your cells but I'm brain fogged right now. Maybe a search? It may have something to do with cortisol?

I just read this over and almost erased it but I'm going to leave it even though I couldn't think what it is maybe someone can help.

Paralee

@Misfit Toy , could you get the T4 in powder and mix it with water and drink it? If you're down to this, maybe some kind of liquid thyroid med? I've never heard of it but........

Misfit Toy

@Misfit Toy , could you get the T4 in powder and mix it with water and drink it? If you're down to this, maybe some kind of liquid thyroid med? I've never heard of it but......

the problem is they use a filler even in liquids. So, maybe I am allergic to it, or maybe my body is just rejecting it. I really don't know or understand.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Misfit Toy - I am so sorry you are having such a rough time! Someone else suggested iodine - have you looked into this? Iodine deficiency is associated with thyroid problems (both hyper and hypo), as well as uterine fibroids and fibrocystic breasts, etc.

My doctor told me to paint a spot of drugstore iodine (not to be ingested!) on my skin about the size of a quarter, and if it disappeared within 24 hours, it was an indication that I was deficient in iodine. I've just looked this up on-line, and others recommend painting a 3" x 3" spot on the inside of the forearm, inside of the thigh or on the abdomen (http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/iodine-deficiency-test/) Someone said that if you don't have an allergic reaction to doing this, that you should be okay taking iodine internally.

There's another test to determine iodine levels called the loading test: http://www.optimox.com/iodine-study-21 which may be more accurate than the patch test.

I take 2 drops of Lugol's a day.

I hope you get some help soon!

Paralee

@Misfit Toy , I'm so sorry. I've noticed since you said that about corn fillers that there's a lot of it in a lot of meds.

Super crazy drug companies!

Sorry this seems never ending, but at least you got some things figured out.

T4 is converted to T3 in the liver so perhaps you need some support for that process. I wonder if the specific T4 you take also has an influence on the conversion. Would be easier if you could just take T4 and not have to worry about T3 (small mercies).