• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Kathleen Kerr, Scientologist

Glycon

World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet
Dr. Kathleen Kerr sounds pretty impressive! :lol:
Dr. Kathleen Kerr is a staff physician and Research Liaison at the Environmental Health Clinic, Women’s College Hospital. She also has a community practice with a special interest in environmental aspects of health. She was a co-author of the Laidlaw and Ontario College of Family Physicians funded 2004 Pesticides Literature Review. Her current research project is Gulf War Illness – Evaluation Of An Innovative Detoxification Program funded by the US Department of Defence.

She is a co-author of this paper, which sure sounds like she gets it! :woot:
CONCLUSION: Patients seen at the EHC demonstrated marked functional impairment, consistent with their reported difficulties working and caring for their homes and families during what should be their peak productive years. Early comprehensive assessment, medical management, and social and financial support might avoid the deterioration of function associated with prolonged illness. Education and information resources are required for health care professionals and the public, along with further etiologic and prognostic research.

Wait, what?
I have acted as Medical consultant to the Narconon program for 15 years. For the past decade I have studied the results obtained through the use of a detoxification method developed by L. Ron Hubbard, utilizing vitamins, sauna baths and exercise, which is a part of the Narconon program.
While this detox method is strenuous, it is easily and safely accomplished, after a medical checkup, when done under standard supervision by trained personnel. Narconon clients, with histories of moderate to extremely heavy substance abuse, show a marked improvement in alertness, clarity of thought and general health by undergoing this treatment. Most also report a substantial reduction in their craving for drugs or alcohol.
- Kathleen Kerr, M.D.
Narconon, you say? o_O

U.S. Pays for Scientology ‘Experiment’ on Sick Veterans
Carpenter isn’t the only investigator working on the Gulf War Illness study. His co-investigator is Kathleen Kerr, a physician and lecturer at the University of Toronto’s Department of Family and Community Medicine. A longtime and prominent Scientologist, Kerr appeared in advertisements for the church in the 1980s and served as chair of Narconon Toronto’s board of directors until 2011, according to federal tax forms.

Okay, okay, well... I'm sure she keeps her New Age Space Opera religion out of her medical practice... Right?

kerr1.png

kerr2.png

Um... :nervous:

Scientology 'purification' rite used by anti-addiction centres
In April, 1984, Ian Haworth of the Toronto-based Council on Mind Abuse (COMA), wrote to the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons to complain about a mass-mailing letter sent to the province's doctors from Narconon.

"Dear Physician," the letter read in part, "Do you have patients who have failed to handle a drug addiction problem? As chairman of the board of directors of Narconon, Toronto, and as a general practitioner in Toronto, I would like to recommend the Narconon program . . .

"In addition, Narconon provides services which help addicted persons handle the personal reasons which caused them to become involved with drugs in the first place."

The letter is signed by Dr. Kathleen Kerr, who practises at the Lafayette Health Centre.

A letter sent to Haworth from the college indicates "the Narconon situation has been one that has been of concern to the college for sometime now . . . An individual person, who was placed in this stream by his physician, has approached the college and supplied us with considerable information respecting the manner in which" he was apparently encouraged to join Scientology.

Sometimes I just want to punch Canadian healthcare SO. HARD. :mad:

Last edited:

Oberon

If there's one thing I've learned about people is they can be completely intelligent in some ways and in other ways lean a little more towards the heretical side.

In the end she's one of the extremely few doctors in Toronto who recognize and have treated Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Last edited:

Glycon

If there's one thing I've learned about people is they can be completely intelligent in some ways and in other ways lean a little more towards the heretical side in other ways.

I heard good things about Joseph Mengele's medical credentials. Also, his bedside manner. :p

And we aren't talking "a little more towards the heretical" with Dr. Kerr. We are talking several decades of managing and actively promoting Scientology initiatives and working to lend scientific respectability to some of its dangerous and unfounded medical practices.
In the end she's one of the extremely few doctors in Toronto who recognize and have treated Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

I know, right?! There are like five real doctors (as opposed to various naturopaths and other shamans). And two of them are a crazy Scientology lady and a guy who got in trouble for mishandling medicinal marijuana prescriptions! :mad:

Oberon

I heard good things about Joseph Mengele's medical credentials. Also, his bedside manner. :p

And we aren't talking "a little more towards the heretical" with Dr. Kerr. We are talking several decades of managing and actively promoting Scientology initiatives and working to lend scientific respectability to some of its dangerous and unfounded medical practices.

I know, right?! There are like five real doctors (as opposed to various naturopaths and other shamans). And two of them are a crazy Scientology lady and a guy who got in trouble for mishandling medicinal marijuana prescriptions! :mad:

So you're saying you don't believe in the healing power of Dianetics:) Thankfully it does not appear to be something she's actively pushing to her patients. When I met Dr. Kerr and the Environmental Health Clinic I would have had no idea that she's a scientologist.

It completely reminds me of Ben Carson (was one of the U.S. republican candidates this year.) Without a doubt one of the top neurosurgeon's in the world. He also believes that the Egyptian pyramids were built as grain silos (which is rejected by every archaeologist.)

I guess I'll have to stick to my local shaman ;).

Sometimes I just want to punch Canadian health care SO. HARD. :mad:

At least you have Healthcare, I guess ;)

GG

You and me both! Last time I was in the ER I waited 10 hours because I needed to do an ultrasound. In the end it's publicly funded so at least everyone here gets equal health care.

I'm also thankful when I read forum posts of people in the U.S. asking, "Should I go to the ER?" because they can't afford the bill.

Unfortunately the same system is what leaves CFS'ers without treatment in Canada unless you find a compassionate doctor.

Glycon

When I met Dr. Kerr and the Environmental Health Clinic I would have had no idea that she's a scientologist.

That's how they get you. (Read the last article I quote in the OP.)

And it's not like Ben Carson's case (or Ron Paul's case, for that matter), since their crazy beliefs are not related to medicine. Scientology is ALL ABOUT medicine and Kathleen Kerr has been one of the leading and most active Scientology doctors for decades.

barbc56

Umm, is there a CBT course to correct those beliefs? [Satire]
No, but they do have e meters which will cure you of all your ills by focusing on your life experiences and even as far back as your previous lives. This is what makes a person sick medically and mentally.

If you are "cleared" by this therapy, you don't get sick. In fact you lead a problem free life.

I would be very skeptical about any doctor who is a Scientologist as the heart of its philosophy does have a distorted view of illnesses.

I wonder if I had CBT and GET in my previous life. That would explain a lot going on with my health! :eek:

Here's an interesting look ay Scientology

alex3619

I am familiar with the early history of L Ron Hubbard. According to some SF authors, including Frederick Pohl and AE van Vogt, there was a bet made for $1 that L Ron Hubbard, an engineer and science fiction author, couldn't invent a religion in one year. I think he won, but I no longer recall the details. Dianetics was born, which was basically simplified early systems theory with some hocus pocus thrown in.

In any case you want a rival therapy to cure someone of these beliefs, so I suggested CBT. I could have suggested psychoanalysis, it would have made the same point.

barbc56

In any case you want a rival therapy to cure someone of these beliefs, so I suggested CBT. I could have suggested psychoanalysis, it would have made the same point

Good one! I didn't know about the one dollar bet. There was another ridiculous story that had something to do with his wife but I can't remember what it was.

Dufresne

almost there...
Dr Kerr was actually the first doctor to suggest I had "CFS". Until then I'd thought the crashes I'd been experiencing were due to some sort of adrenal exhaustion. She was a competent, open-minded clinician. She ordered a number of tests and went over them with me; had me address candida (very beneficial); got me on magnesium pushes, etc. Now that I think about it she helped me more than any other medical doctor I've seen. She diagnosed me which got me on the right track, and in having me address candida I was relieved of 50% of my brain fog.

I later learned she was a Scientologist when she referred me to someone in Montreal after I'd moved. This fellow had Narconon literature around the office, among other giveaways. I didn't get the impression he was going to be helpful and never went back. I did question her competence after referring me to this guy who seemed to be running his practice in accordance with L Ron Hubbard's teachings (he did a detailed drug history, asked me about my relationship with my parents, etc), but that was at odds with the experience I had with her in Toronto.

It's difficult to get one's head around asking for help from somebody who's personal beliefs you might find nutty. However Dr Kerr is a compassionate doctor trying to help people, and willing to try new things. At least she was ten years ago when I saw her. Certainly better than those useless jackasses who run the seven point inspection and then tell you that even if you do have something like "chronic fatigue syndrome" there's no recognized treatment for it and you'd be better off focusing your energy elsewhere and getting on with your life.

Glycon

I later learned she was a Scientologist when she referred me to someone in Montreal after I'd moved. This fellow had Narconon literature around the office, among other giveaways. I didn't get the impression he was going to be helpful and never went back. I did question her competence after referring me to this guy who seemed to be running his practice in accordance with L Ron Hubbard's teachings (he did a detailed drug history, asked me about my relationship with my parents, etc), but that was at odds with the experience I had with her in Toronto.

It's difficult to get one's head around asking for help from somebody who's personal beliefs you might find nutty. However Dr Kerr is a compassionate doctor trying to help people, and willing to try new things.

It's not about "nutty personal beliefs", but about integrating them into one's medical practice, which Kathleen Kerr does (by her own admission).

Now I gotta run. I have an appointment with my very nice secular Jewish doctor, who isn't managing unscientific medical programs for a crazy cult that doesn't believe in antidepressants for depressed people. ;)

By the way, the fact that she referred you to a Scientologist may have constituted a serious breach of prefessional code of conduct (esp. in light of her history) and could (should?) have landed her in serious trouble.

Glycon

I told my doctor that I have serious reservations about being potentially examined by Dr. Kerr, in part because I don't want to be seen as someone whose disability status is based on the diagnosis of "that crazy Scientology lady".

My doctor was, like, "Yeah, I hear you."

I also told him about the PACE affair, which made him go :rolleyes:. My doctor is pretty awesome! :woot:

I told my doctor that I have serious reservations about being potentially examined by Dr. Kerr, in part because I don't want to be seen as someone whose disability status is based on the diagnosis of "that crazy Scientology lady".

My doctor was, like, "Yeah, I hear you."

I also told him about the PACE affair, which made him go :rolleyes:. My doctor is pretty awesome! :woot:

I just wonder why you want to discredit this doctor on the basis of her religious beliefs when there isn't any evidence that it has any part of her treatment of ME/CFS patients. She has no complaints on the CPSO site.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I once had a medical practitioner who was a Scientologist. I learned of his connection to Scientology when he shared my medical records and contact information with the Scientology Church. They contacted me by telephone, encouraging me to partake in their services since my medical records showed that I needed them! I don't know if this was a once off or is something that other Scientologist medical practitioners do, but it certain was a huge caution to me and I dropped that doctor like a hot potato!

Butydoc

Tom Cruze, was a celebrity spokesperson for Scientology when he spoke on national tv about the evils of Psychiatry and psychiatric medication, then went on to berate Brook Shields for her use of medications and Psychiatrist to treat her postpartum depression. This by itself doesn't besmirch Dr Kerr's reputation but does bring into question her beliefs which may affect her practice. Just another bit of information when one chooses a doctor and decides to follow their recommendations.

Glycon

I just wonder why you want to discredit this doctor on the basis of her religious beliefs when there isn't any evidence that it has any part of her treatment of ME/CFS patients. She has no complaints on the CPSO site.

You may want to read the OP again, as well as the linked articles. She definitely does not keep Scientology separate from her medical work. Also, this:

And this:
I once had a medical practitioner who was a Scientologist. I learned of his connection to Scientology when he shared my medical records and contact information with the Scientology Church. They contacted me by telephone, encouraging me to partake in their services since my medical records showed that I needed them! I don't know if this was a once off or is something that other Scientologist medical practitioners do, but it certain was a huge caution to me and I dropped that doctor like a hot potato!

And this:
Tom Cruze, was a celebrity spokesperson for Scientology when he spoke on national tv about the evils of Psychiatry and psychiatric medication, then went on to berate Brook Shields for her use of medications and Psychiatrist to treat her postpartum depression. This by itself doesn't besmirch Dr Kerr's reputation but does bring into question her beliefs which may affect her practice. Just another bit of information when one chooses a doctor and decides to follow their recommendations.

You say that I "want to discredit this doctor on the basis of her religious beliefs". I don't "want to discredit" anyone. I am merely stating facts. The facts happen to be discrediting, as anyone who knows anything about Scientology and its medical teachings and initiatives should be able to see. And it's not "on the basis of her religious beliefs", but on the basis of what those beliefs are and the way they interact with her clinical and research work.

To reiterate, Dr. Kerr isn't just a Scientologist who happens to be a doctor. She spent many years as one of the key figures in Narconon.

Last edited:
You may want to read the OP again, as well as the linked articles. She definitely does not keep Scientology separate from her medical work. Also, this:

And this:

And this:

You say that I "want to discredit this doctor on the basis of her religious beliefs". I don't "want to discredit" anyone. I am merely stating facts. The facts happen to be discrediting, as anyone who knows anything about Scientology and its medical teachings and initiatives should be able to see. And it's not "on the basis of her religious beliefs", but on the basis of what those beliefs are and the way they interact with her clinical and research work.

To reiterate, Dr. Kerr isn't just a Scientologist who happens to be a doctor. She spent many years as one of the key figures in Narconon.
You started a thread to make a deal of her religious beliefs. Narconon has nothing to do with ME. And really the program of alcohol recovery pushed by the 12 step program putting your recovery in a higher power is just as bad. Post some proof she has hurt ME patients. Has she? Show us.

Glycon

You started a thread to make a deal of her religious beliefs. Narconon has nothing to do with ME. And really the program of alcohol recovery pushed by the 12 step program putting your recovery in a higher power is just as bad. Post some proof she has hurt ME patients. Has she? Show us.

Wrong. I started this thread to "make a deal" of her actions and public statements. I couldn't care less what nonsense she believes in her private life. And I never claimed that she hurt any of her patients. Indeed, I never even claimed that she is not a competent doctor (bracketing the Scientology question for a moment). I do, however, think that her own statements about Scientology impacting her practice, multiple reports that she directs her patients to Scientology-related treatments and practitioners, as well as Scientology's abysmal general record of advocating unscientific approaches to medicine and hurting people, are all things people may wish to be aware of.

I don't want to comment on the relative demerits of Narconon and AA, except to say that if one's best defense is "It's just like AA!", then one is on really shaky ground. (By the way, Kathleen Kerr has used the "It's just like AA!" defense in her own Scientology apologetics.)

Last edited: