• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What supplements can help if you don't tolerate sulfur (B1, B7, MSM, taurine, onions) well?

bigmillz

What the subject says...just home sick and trying to learn a little more! B1, B7, MSM, taurine, and onions are all things I don't tolerate very well. There may be more on that list that I haven't totally confirmed yet.

Currently taking mB12, adB12, mFolate, and several cofactors. I'm trying to work in B2 and P5P as well.

Thanks!

Paralee

ARHHGGG!! I just looked up sulfite oxidase defiency and it's scary. Surely there's a milder form than I just read. I can't partake in sulfer either, ever since I had that Cipro reaction.

@bigmillz , looks like you can take methyls ok, though. That's good.

bigmillz

ARHHGGG!! I just looked up sulfite oxidase defiency and it's scary. Surely there's a milder form than I just read. I can't partake in sulfer either, ever since I had that Cipro reaction.

@bigmillz , looks like you can take methyls ok, though. That's good.

What things bother you generally?

I've tolerated methyl anything very well actually.

Paralee

@bigmillz , no methyl donors, no sulfa (sulfer?), things like NAC that I used to take with no problem. MB12 is out, can't handle it, magnesium only in very tiny doses (topical works best), hot spices, but that's a no brainer because I'm a supertaster.....I can't remember them all but almost all the antibiotics do me in.

I got refloxed not long ago by an Ativan, believe it or not.

Anyway, thanks for posting, this has made up my mind to try a little molybdenum.

bigmillz

@bigmillz , no methyl donors, no sulfa (sulfer?), things like NAC that I used to take with no problem. MB12 is out, can't handle it, magnesium only in very tiny doses (topical works best), hot spices, but that's a no brainer because I'm a supertaster.....I can't remember them all but almost all the antibiotics do me in.

I got refloxed not long ago by an Ativan, believe it or not.

Anyway, thanks for posting, this has made up my mind to try a little molybdenum.

Hope it helps you as well! Remember there is a difference between sulfur and sulfa drugs: http://www.behcets.org/reference/sulfur/sulfursulphidesulphate.html

Living Dead

I'm confused on this, as I've heard it in some other places. Wouldn't this be more important for converting sulfite to sulfate? What about the conversion of sulfur?
I'm not sure, tbh. But sulfur is a chemical element, so it can't be "converted" (unless you're a nuclear reactor). A sulfite is a molecule containing sulfur in a specific arrangement with other elements (SO3). Sulfate is sulfur connected with oxygen as SO4.

(The S in the formula is the sulfur atom.)

bigmillz

I'm not sure, tbh. But sulfur is a chemical element, so it can't be "converted" (unless you're a nuclear reactor). A sulfite is a molecule containing sulfur in a specific arrangement with other elements (SO3). Sulfate is sulfur connected with oxygen as SO4.

(The S in the formula is the sulfur atom.)

Ah, good point. This is what I (unknowingly) meant.

ahmo

Isn't this more for ammonia though?
For me, at least, dealing w/ sulfur = dealing w/ ammonia.

Look for posts by aaron_c . I got a lot of help from him dealing w/ sulfur.

aaron_chttp://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/b2-i-love-you.15209/page-42#post-533217

Yes, exactly. Sulfites and ammonia are two different problems that are often lumped together, and there is some reason for this: For people with autism or ME, both excessive sulfur and ammonia would result from increased CBS activity (methionine, cysteine, and taurine are all amino acids that contain sulfur.) And because most of us are deficient in active B6, taking b6--or potentially b2, which plays a role in recycling b6--would increase CBS activity beyond what it would otherwise have been. So for most of us, taking B6 will increase both ammonia and sulfites. I should also point out that taking B6 will increase ammonia entirely apart from the CBS enzyme, as B6 is necessary for any transamination reaction, which is part of breaking down amino acids to produce energy.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nd-sulfites-the-boron-fix-for-sulfites.39025/ Boron, Molybdenum, SUOX and Sulfites. (The Boron Fix for Sulfites)

Also, not from aaron:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/when-common-snps-matter.39635/#post-637023
SUOX (Sulfite Oxidase) is responsible for turning Sulfite into sulfate. When people have this SNP they will be sulfite sensitive if they are low in the cofactor for the gene, Molybdenum.

...I am AG for this and I WAS sulfite sensitive until I took Molybdenum for a while. This is one of the genes I look and people are amazed at the clarity they have when they take Molyebdenum for the first time to treat this SNP.

Since this is a metal it will take a while to get out of the body so I started with a dose of 500mcg for a few days and stopped. Now, if I feel brain for or any other sulfite sensitivity I take more. But I also eat buckwheat which can be high in Molybdenum.

Two things clued me in that you old have this polymorphism; the fact that you had brain fog and your reaction to eggs. In fact I think any cysteine (sulfur) you take or eat will cause you issues until you supplement with Molybedenum.

I feel this is a greatly under appreciated SNP with people who have health issues. And everyone I have the genetics for who say they have “brain fog” have this SNP. I also tend to see this always in Autistics (note that I am not saying it causes Autism).

Sulfate is hugely important but if you have this SNP and are deficent in Molybdenum you will not make as much sulfate but you will suffer from too many sulfites.

Last edited:

Paralee

These links are really going to help. This is great. I've been trying to understand this. I can't take anything with methyl or sulphur (supplements), but I can eat them......strange.

I've been thinking I have a SUOX variant but one of my snps disappeared when 23andme added more info.

Hi I know this is an old post. Does anyone know if there is a doctor who knows about sulfur problems other than Dr Andy Cutler? It's too complicated to try and treat myself I'm going round in circles. Thank you anyone.