• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What to make of a couple rare(?) SNPs associated with Neurodegeneration

I seem to have all 3 of these SNPs and I'm not sure what to make of it. I've got a lot of health issues, but I've been working on them, but I'd like to learn more about my genetics to guide in the process.

There was a study a few years ago:

PRNP mutations in a series of apparently sporadic neurodegenerative dementias in China.

A prominent researcher in the prion field has labeled S97N and F198V "suspected cause of disease" based on the paper above. Link here

What disease, is not clear to me.

I have S97N GG
F198V TT
R208C CC

Looking for some insight, not afraid of bad news.

Thank you

Sea

What are their rs numbers?
Nevermind, saw it in your second link.

You have the common allele for all 3 of those snps.

Last edited:

alicec

And that's normal?

Yes. Your 23andme results simply show the nucleotide combination you have for the SNP. You then need to check (for example with dsSNP, which is linked to the rs number in the table of your second link you provided) if this is the ancestral or variant nucleotide.

In your case you have the ancestral or normal version, not the rare change which seems to be associated with prion disease.

So nothing to worry about.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that to me.

So with that S97N SNP, rs56362942... A/G is the one you don't want? am I reading that correctly? Where does it label the variant?

So with that S97N SNP, rs56362942... A/G is the one you don't want? am I reading that correctly? Where does it label the variant?
23andMe doesn't label the abnormal or problematic SNP, they just list the alleles in alphabetical order. But you can look on dbSNP at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects/SNP/snp_ref.cgi?rs=rs56362942 to get more data.

At the top it says the Ancestral Allele is "G", so GG is the normal version. AA or AG might be the problematic genotypes.