• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Serine Cysteine Ratio: Psychosis?

Jimbo39

Plasma serine to cysteine ratio as a biological marker for psychosis.
Waziri R, Wilson R, Sherman AD.
Abstract
In a study of plasma amino acids in psychiatric patients, serine to cysteine (S/C) ratio was higher (S/C = 1.57 +/- 0.28) in 57 psychotics compared to 27 nonpsychotics (S/C = 1.06 +/- 0.23). This difference was highly significant at P less than 0.001. Psychotic patients were given a psychosis score (p score) of 1-4. The S/C ratios of individual patients were significantly correlated to their p scores (r = 0.65, P less than 0.001). S/C ratios were not related to diagnosis, age, sex, food intake and medications. When the initial S/C ratio and p scores of 22 patients were compared to their S/C ratio and p score at the time when they were improved and ready to be discharged, there was a concomitant fall both in S/C ratios and p scores suggesting the high S/C ratios may be indicative of a state rather than a trait characteristic. Our findings lead us to the conclusion that S/C ratios may provide a marker for the presence of psychosis and an index of its severity.

My ratio is 4/1! tho I'm not sure if I'm comparing apples to apples since mine is a amino acid urine test. I've been taking NAC and have been feeling better. Could the cysteine be counteracting my high levels of serine?