• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Don't Get Your Thyroid Out...Ever. Leave It In Until It Kills You.

digital dog

I'm so sorry you are suffering so much.
The thyroid is so tricky and many people find it hard to get their levels correct.
No one should have to go through what you are but things will change. Our bodies are constantly fightning to be well and find homeostasis.

X

Misfit Toy

@Kati and @TigerLilea -tomorrow I go see my doctor. He is not an endo as I can't stand endo's. I am worried because I will be asking to make another change. I am going to ask for T4. But....I have mentioned, I have been so programmed to believe that T4 is this horrible thing from the STTM groups that I am scared.

TigerLilea

@Kati and @TigerLilea -tomorrow I go see my doctor. He is not an endo as I can't stand endo's. I am worried because I will be asking to make another change. I am going to ask for T4. But....I have mentioned, I have been so programmed to believe that T4 is this horrible thing from the STTM groups that I am scared.
Have you tried supplementing with both T4 and T3?

Kati

Patient in training
Laymen advice is madness. They do not know your particular and complicated issues nor should they. A professional should. Stop the madness.

Misfit Toy

Laymen advice is madness. They do not know your particular and complicated issues nor should they. A professional should. Stop the madness.

True.

I go today to talk of having both T3 and T4. The other problem is the fibroid. Severe pain, crazy spotting. Beadfest is in 3 weeks and I don't even know if I'll make it with all that's going on. I want to get the fibroid taken care of.

So sick.

Thanks Kati and everyone.

Misfit Toy

Good news! I am on Tirosint...a form of T4 that is pure with no fillers. I feel much better. I lowered the amount of T3 and added T4. So, I am feeling more like myself and more sane. Tirosint is a great medicine and I got it for free by calling the drug company. It's normally $140 a month! :wide-eyed:

I am also on Progesterone. The progesterone is helping me to sleep. I am definitely in perimeno. I missed my period last month...skipped. I knew I was in perimeno, but yeah....it's not fun.

I also got to the beach for two nights and swam in the ocean.

I am currently enjoying watching the Olympics. So, I am finally hopeful.

Thanks for all of your support. I have a long way to go, but I am feeling better for sure. :thumbsup:

Misfit Toy

Well, I have bad news...I was doing well and then suddenly I developed nerve pain in my feet and once I went up on the T4-it became worse. It became all over body pain.

After going over my journal, the pain began with the Tirosint. Tirosint is supposed to be hypoallergenic. We are talking 26 mcg of T4.

Had bloodwork ran and my levels are pitiful.

TSH is .01 L
T4 is .04 L
Free T3 is 4.6 which is HIGH

At first I thought that maybe it's because my T3 is so high and my feet and body are killing me. So I went down the T3. No difference. None.

Called my doc, he said to stop the Tirosint (T4) for 2 days. Today was first day. Still in pain.

I have Sjogrens but this pain I have never had with Sjogrens accept for when I took Valcyte.

Why am I so sad? Well, I'm thinking I might not be able to walk anymore. Neuropathy.

Secondly, the thyroid forum I found is so pro Tirosint and of course they say it can't be Tirosint.

All of these forums are pro whatever they believe in or works for them so God forbid it doesn't work for you.

Anyway, wish me luck. Trying so hard. I'm writhing in pain with pins and needles. On prednisone.

One thing-T4 helped my anxiety tremendously. I felt so much better in that area.

Paralee

@Misfit Toy , T4 is needed for something, brain drain keeps me from coming up with it right now. There are some people that do just fine on a T4 alone, I guess they can convert very well.

That's sure not much T4 to make that much of a change, is it? Can you up the T4 some more and down the T3? I know that doesn't sound like it's going to help the pain, I was just wondering since your T3 and T4 are so far apart.....or maybe it's just Tirosent that's not right for you? Can't you be ok with fillers but not that particular kind of med itself?

Trying to come up with easy stuff before I look again for an old article that I saw but couldn't read about pain and thyroid meds. You're probably still in pain because it takes more than a day for T4 to get out completely? Do you think the pain is related to the neuropathy?

I'm going to look for that article again, maybe someone will know how to open it up.

Edit: Don't meds/supps have to be adjusted because one effects the others? Like with progesterone, thyroid and adrenals?

Last edited:

Paralee

You know, if you have a lot of problems with fillers, it could be the right med but the cheap fillers these generic companies put in them are pretty bad at times. I never used to be able to take a generic anything.

Also, a lot of people can't take the brand name Synthroid because of it's fillers or something, maybe trees? Can't remember for sure.

@Misfit Toy , I'm sure you're tired of trying to figure this out, maybe take a rest? It will work out. Pull your sheet over your head and wait for the new day....that's what I do at times.

Misfit Toy

You know, if you have a lot of problems with fillers, it could be the right med but the cheap fillers these generic companies put in them are pretty bad at times. I never used to be able to take a generic anything.

Also, a lot of people can't take the brand name Synthroid because of it's fillers or something, maybe trees? Can't remember for sure.

@Misfit Toy , I'm sure you're tired of trying to figure this out, maybe take a rest? It will work out. Pull your sheet over your head and wait for the new day....that's what I do at times.

Paralee-it was the Tirosint. My doctor looked up my allergies and I tested positive for glycerin. I'm allergic to glycerin, which is in everything! Anyway, Tirosint is made of glycerin and T4.

I'm better now. I'm on just compounded T4....zero fillers. It's so expensive. So, no fillers makes a medicine more $$. Nuts. My pain is gone.

Thank you, Paralee. I'm making an appt with an endo.

Paralee

@Misfit Toy , that's something else, glycerin of all things. My husband is allergic to aloe, so I can relate watching him.

Been away for a few days, came down with the first cold/whatever in probably 10 years.

Misfit Toy

Update-I am compounded T4. I am sneezing constantly and now itching. I am to stop the T4. What I thought was a cold has turned out to be allergies. I feel awful. I am at a point where maybe I am allergic to thyroxine? Tirosint, I had a reaction to. My feet were killing me. Now, I can't stop sneezing and itching and I have hives. SO, I am to stop it and see if I feel better.

Honestly, I don't know where to go from here as I have no thyroid and need medication. I feel absolutely awful.

I went up on the T4 and I feel worse. My reverse T3 is low...like a 5. So, it's not that. I have some sort of allergy.

I cant take T3, but I don't do well on it. Ugh. What to do.