• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

question re NK cell function results

Mary

Moderator Resource
My NK cell function result from last year was 15 - the normal range was 7 - 125.

Even though my result was within the "normal" range, is this considered low? My CFS doctor said it was definitely low but I wanted other opinions on this. Thanks!

Gingergrrl

@Mary I've always thought that the range of 7 to 125 was odd b/c it was such a wide range. I assume you are talking about the test run by Quest Labs. My initial score on that test in 2014 was a 5 and in 2015 it went up to 6 and I have not tested it since then b/c not sure what purpose it serves or how it would change my treatment. I was told my score was extremely low but at the same time, one more point and I am inside of the range. So I really do not know the answer but have always wondered about it myself.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Gingergrrl - yes, I feel the same way - it's the wide range which seems a little bizarre. I think my score was 13 on my first test, and then 3 or 4 years later it had gone up to 15. When I told Dr. Taylor my results and asked if it was low, he just laughed and said of course. But I am inside the range, barely, whereas you're not. I'm going to be bringing the results to the new doctor's office this Friday - I have no idea if he will even have a clue about this, was just curious.

Gingergrrl

@Mary am very curious what your new doctor says. When I was tested, the low NK cell functioning was almost viewed as a biomarker of CFS but am not sure that it is anymore (vs two years ago). It was one of the top reasons that I felt certain CFS was my correct diagnosis vs. now I've learned that other illnesses can have low NK cells so it no longer seems as iron clad in my mind.

I tried to build up the NK cells at that time with all kinds of supplements (Monolaurin, Maitake Mushrooms, Zinc, Epicor, etc) but the NK number virtually stayed unchanged as did my viral titers.