• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In Memory of Tom Jarrett

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
upload_2016-7-24_21-32-58.png
From his wife:
"Dear Friends,
It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Tom passed away Friday morning. He took his own life. This came as a great shock to me as Tom never wanted this to be the way his story ended. He never wanted to dishonor God or to leave his family. The pain had grown so intense to a constant 10 unrelenting every minute of every day for years. He tried to hide the intensity of his pain from the boys and I so that we would not suffer along with him. He left a lengthy letter explaining his heart that I will share soon."

Gingergrrl

I am so saddened to hear this and back in 2015, I had a lengthy PM back and forth with Tom re: a project he was working on and I was interested in trying to help him.

Although I did not know him well, what came across through those PM's (I just re-read them) was how dedicated he was to our community, what a kind, thoughtful, and creative person he was, and how much he loved his wife and two boys and how much he wanted to get better to participate in life with them. I related to him so much and we have truly again lost one of the good guys to this damn disease.

Even though I only chatted with you briefly many months ago, you made a real impression on me. Tom, may you be at peace, in no more suffering or pain, and may your memory be a blessing of comfort to your wife and boys.

upload_2016-7-25_13-49-14.png

Navid

This is breaking my heart and making me very angry. First I am sorry that Tom was so very ill and hopeless that the only answer he had was to take his life. My tears fall for his wife and children. Why must a man and his family suffer so much with no good medical help. It is a crime that this, good, kind man had to leave behind his loving family in order to escape the torture of this disease.

What is it going to take for our pain to be taken seriously. We have heard for years and years now that breakthroughs are coming. Well, as we have witnessed over the past 6-8 weeks many us our losing the will and/or strength to hang on to empty promises of hope anymore.

I do not understand why not one single new treatment has been offered to ill patients in all these years. When we first become sick we run around like maniacs trying to get well; never believing that an illness noone takes seriously can bring us down so hard. Then after years and years of fruitless efforts we become shells of ourselves, broken, sad people who try to keep on living another day for our families...but as is seen over and over again, this can become impossible.

I know there is more research being done then ever before but the results that come out are meaningless to those of us hanging on by our fingernails to life if there are no new treatments proposed.

When Lipkin first became involved, he said with a million $'s he could solve this disease. Well that was years ago and relatively very little has come from his lab, nothing that has been of any help to the sickest of us.

How many more of us must die and leave behind our loved ones before a treatment is found.

Dear Tom and Family: I am so sorry you suffered through this nightmare. I will not say that Tom is in a better place...because he is not..the place he belonged was with his family....but I do understand why he left, it's very hard to keep hanging on day after day in pain with no hope.....I am so sorry for your pain and loss.

Please, please, please let Tom's death be a loud siren to the researchers, doctors and government....we need help and we need it now!!!

RIP Tom

Gingergrrl

@Navid, wow your post was so powerful, it made me cry. Please know you can always send me a PM if there is anything I can do, even if just to listen. And I agree that the place that Tom was supposed to be was with his family but since that could not happen, I am hoping and praying he is in a better place now, even though I wish he could just be here, and that we could all just be here, only without the suffering.

Last edited:

Groggy Doggy

I do not understand why not one single new treatment has been offered to ill patients in all these years.

I know there is more research being done then ever before but the results that come out are meaningless to those of us hanging on by our fingernails to life if there are no new treatments proposed.

When Lipkin first became involved, he said with a million $'s he could solve this disease. Well that was years ago and relatively very little has come from his lab, nothing that has been of any help to the sickest of us.

How many more of us must die and leave behind our loved ones before a treatment is found.

Please, please, please let Tom's death be a loud siren to the researchers, doctors and government....we need help and we need it now!!!

I agree, millions of dollars are spent on research, with no treatments to show for it. While private doctor's, with no funding, have produced treatments (but they are ignored by the researchers)

And the wheel spins round and round, and the years go by, and more people die.

Tom, I am so sorry you felt like you had no other options.

GD

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in Tom’s honor to a Trust Fund for his sons, Austin & Andrew; or research for his illness, ME. Checks can be may payable to "Trust Fund for Austin & Andrew Jarrett" and mailed to College Park Church Compassion Ministries, 2606 West 96th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46268. Donations can be made online for ME Research: End ME/CFS Project atwww.openmedicinefoundation.org/donate-to-the-end-mecfs-pro…/

http://randallroberts.com/…/2692/Thomas-Jarrett/photos.html…

Photos of Thomas Jarrett
Thomas W. Jarrett, 39, of Westfield, passed away on Friday, July 22, 2016 after battling a debilitating disease for nearly a decade. He was born on April 16, 1977 to Paul and Marty (Alley) Jarrett in Indianapolis, IN. Tom's faith and love of his Savior, Jesus Christ, was evident to all who knew him....

You can add your condolences here.
RANDALLROBERTS.COM

Last edited: