• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low done naltrexone affect test results?

Clerner

Been taking ldn since Jan 16th, 2016 and currently on 9 mg/day.

Will ldn affect results of upcoming SED rate and C reactive protein tests? Never had these done before. Just c4a is 13,0000.

Thanks for any info.

panckage

Why not call and ask? The people doing the test should have a list of drugs that would need to be avoided. Naltrexone isn't that rare, if there is an issue with it they should know

Living Dead

Natrexone and LDN will not affect tests in the same way, as the first blocks the effects of endorphines, while the latter raises the same effect. 9 mg/day is a lot for LDN. Normally people do 3 mg. 9 mg is more or less out of the low range.

I can't believe you have never had CRP taken. It's one of the first things they test. Probably they didn't tell you they did.

Normally quitting medication that affects test results is only for medication that affects the test result artificially. If the test result is affected because the medication is treating the problem (which could be the case here), that's ok. So I wouldn't worry about it.

daisybell

I can't think of any reason why LDN should affect ESR or CRP results.
I believe that the LDN has had an effect on my thyroid function - in terms of stabilizing it - but I have no idea how/why this should be the case. BTW I take 9mg in the morning and 4.5mg at night - so like you @Clerner I'm not on such a 'low dose', but it works for me at this level.

Clerner

Normally people do 3 mg. 9 mg is more or less out of the low range.[/QUOTE
I think the "normal" dose doctors prescribe is 4.5, but some people like me need more for pain and inflammation.

The weight loss pill contrave has 8mg ldn and wellbutrin and people take 2 a day for 16 mg of ldn.

Clerner

I can't think of any reason why LDN should affect ESR or CRP results.
Look what I found :
and LDN essentially blocks that cascade by blocking the receptors on those microglial cells. This probably explains why in some of the studies so far LDN has been shown to reduce something called erythrocyte sedimentation rate, or ESR, which is an inflammatory marker that’s elevated in conditions like fibromyalgia.

Clerner

@daisybell I stopped my 2nd 4.5 ldn dose in pm on July 10th because I had so much hair falling out!! I am now only taking 4.5.
But, now I am relapsing? Pain increasing, exhaustion, migraine /nausea, weakness, fast heart beat, pots?, trouble breathing from exertion. I don't know if it related to lessening ldn or just a fluke that I'm relapsing again! Scary and disappointing! I love my ldn!

JES

You could try taking a divided dosage with 3 or 1.5 mg twice daily, some people find it better. 9 mg I haven't heard of anyone taking, it's technically more "naltrexone" than "LDN" at that dosage. Naltrexone is used to treat alcohol/drug dependence as it blocks opioid receptors completely, the idea of LDN is to only block those receptors for a couple of hours per day.

daisybell

@daisybell I stopped my 2nd 4.5 ldn dose in pm on July 10th because I had so much hair falling out!! I am now only taking 4.5.
But, now I am relapsing? Pain increasing, exhaustion, migraine /nausea, weakness, fast heart beat, pots?, trouble breathing from exertion. I don't know if it related to lessening ldn or just a fluke that I'm relapsing again! Scary and disappointing! I love my ldn!
Are you sure the LDN is responsible for your hair falling out? Mine has been doing that too, but I think that since I increased my LDN again, my hair is actually falling out less.....

Firefly_

Hi hi, I've been taking about 4.5 mg ldn for over a year, CRP levels haven't changed so I don't think that will affect your test, can't remember sed numbers and I'm in the tub and lazy so can't help you there. Interesting about hair falling out, mines been doing it quite awhile now and didn't know it could possibly be the ldn! Of course I honestly can't remember if I started shedding pre or post lol, hell I can remember what I had for breakfast this a.m. :cautious: My hairdresser told me to take biotin and I figured why the hell not, what's one more pill added to the 52 I already take everyday:thumbsup:

daisybell

Hi hi, I've been taking about 4.5 mg ldn for over a year, CRP levels haven't changed so I don't think that will affect your test, can't remember sed numbers and I'm in the tub and lazy so can't help you there. Interesting about hair falling out, mines been doing it quite awhile now and didn't know it could possibly be the ldn! Of course I honestly can't remember if I started shedding pre or post lol, hell I can remember what I had for breakfast this a.m. :cautious: My hairdresser told me to take biotin and I figured why the hell not, what's one more pill added to the 52 I already take everyday:thumbsup:
I take biotin and I think it helps...