• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can you help? Working on mitochondria page!

M Paine

In regards to Maes, I know that there has been some criticism about some of his papers lacking peer review or controls. Some of the results of his work have been verified in subsequent papers such as the translocation stuff. I don't personally know the history well enough to comment on specific examples, it's hearsay to me.

At the end of the day, regardless who it is, and what their beliefs are, it doesn't matter. Trust in Science, not Scientists. Let the papers speak for themselves. Highlight any areas where papers are controversial. I think that would be far more beneficial than censoring the paper outright. The PACE trial and papers are included in the site, with probably less emphasis on their shortcomings than I might like, but they are there. And rightly so, information is power (I just wish more was included at the top of that page to give the impression that they are widely discredited within the scientific community).

Anyway, not to derail the thread. Thanks for the work on the Mitochondria page, would love to see a energy metabolism page in the future.

M Paine

It looks like it's fairly intentional that the page in question was made the way it is...

http://me-pedia.org/wiki/Talk:PACE_trial#Neutrality

Neutrality[edit]
I worry that the previously neutral, encyclopedic tone of this page has become increasingly skeptical. I think it's better to keep tone neutral and slowly build argument in the appropriate sections (e.g., criticism, controversy) rather than editorializing from the start. We hope for a broad audience, including readers who might find an approach with a strong perspective less credible. For example, the "findings" section contains several implicit and explicit critiques that should be probably be saved for the "criticisms" section. It's important to let the reader first learn what it is that the PACE trial actually says before presenting the criticism and controversy --JenB (talk) 21:55, 6 March 2016 (PST)

This may be helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view It doesn't mean that we can't include all the criticisms and all the controversy, but the sections that are for describing what the PACE trial said and found should be kept neutral and state just those facts – to be refuted in the following sections. --JenB (talk) 22:14, 6 March 2016 (PST)