• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

TEVA clonazepam--changed formula?

leela

I wonder if there are any other TEVA clonazepam users out there that noticed a recent change in efficacy (and odor!) of the .5mg yellow pills?

If anyone has any suggestions for ones that actually work, I'd love to hear. I had tried another generic (pink color, I forget the brand) that was even more useless. TEVA has worked for me for years, until maybe six months ago. It's now taking me two hours to fall asleep and I don't want to up the dose.

(Please don't make this thread about how horrible Benzos are, there are plenty of other threads about that.)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I wonder if there are any other TEVA clonazepam users out there that noticed a recent change in efficacy (and odor!) of the .5mg yellow pills?
When did you get yours? I have a TEVA 2 mg (I cut them up as it is cheaper) and it is white. I got it in January and it seems fine.

bel canto

Leela, with all the counterfeit drug issues out there, is there any possibility your source was compromised?

leela

@Sushi, I started noticing the difference about 5 months ago maybe. There is a weird strong chemical smell when I open the bottle, and it's not working like it used to, getting me to sleep within 15 minutes or so.
@bel canto, I've been getting it through a big chain pharmacy, which is horrible in itself, so who knows!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
There is a weird strong chemical smell when I open the bottle, and it's not working like it used to, getting me to sleep within 15 minutes or so.
I wonder if you could get the script written for another strength, like 1 or 2 mg, and cut it? I don't notice any smell from my bottle of 2 mg. Maybe there was a problem with the .5 mg tabs.

I take 2 of the .25mg oral dissolving tablet by TEVA and I love it. It tastes sweet like a candy and works really fast because it dissolves in my mouth.

leela

Thanks for the tips, @Sushi and @sickntired771 . I have written to TEVA about it but don't expect much to come of that.
I will try your suggestions with my doctor next time I see her. I'm a bit scared of orally dissolving tablets though bc they often contain aspartame and
taking that daily could aggravate migraines :(
Does your dissolving tablet list ingredients, @sickntired771 ?

Justin30

I have through Canadian pharmacies recieved:

Tevo-CLONEZEPAM
APO-CLONEZEPAM
RIVOTRIL - KLONOPIN IN CANADA

tevo and apo are both weak in comparison to Rivotril. Dr. Chenney also mentioned this as well.

You may also be building a tolerance to the med.

Further what I have noticed is that they are using a larger pill out here that has more filler which could equate to less potent.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
I have never had luck with generics. I have several friends w/ same situation, so we shell out the big bucks for brand name. ( Get the bigger ones of those and cut for cost savings)
Cheney at one point was only recommending the brand.
But I know not everyone can do that.
Really sucks that generics aren't touted as being the same as brand, when they aren't and don't have to be by law.

Thanks for the tips, @Sushi and @sickntired771 . I have written to TEVA about it but don't expect much to come of that.
I will try your suggestions with my doctor next time I see her. I'm a bit scared of orally dissolving tablets though bc they often contain aspartame and
taking that daily could aggravate migraines :(
Does your dissolving tablet list ingredients, @sickntired771 ?

I just checked and it does have aspartame as the first ingredient :(

Gingergrrl

Really sucks that generics aren't touted as being the same as brand, when they aren't and don't have to be by law.

This may not apply to anyone else but for me with MCAS, I am allergic to artificial food dyes and many fillers that they put in the meds. The brand names almost always have dyes whereas I can usually find a generic that is dye free and if not, I go to a compounding pharmacy. So for me whether it is brand or generic is not an issue vs. what dyes and fillers might be inside of it.

Hello Leela, I am new to this board. I found this through a google search. I took this brand clonazepam for almost 2 years, and came to rely and trust the high quality. My last Rx was filled last July, nearly a year ago and it was fine. 100% consistency in every single pill I ever took. I recently got a new Rx, specifically requesting TEVA. To answer your question: yes. It most certainly has changed. It is so frustrating to have to test out 8 meds before arriving at the one that works. Once my Dr and I found the one that worked, we left well enough alone. This new formula is no longer the high standard I had previously. Not close. I placed a call to TEVA's quality department today. I explained its severely lowered efficacy, and that it made me groggy and sluggish (not in clonz manner), but had no real anxiolotic outcomes. I felt like I had taken a couple swigs of an antihistamine. While I feel the gentleman on the phone was respectful and listened, I'm not comvinced that he will be sending his rep back to the pharmacy to pick up my returned batch for their analysis. That sounded too good to be true. Anyway, I took them back to the pharmacy where they disposed of them on the spot. Perhaps you, or anyone else experiencing this lessened quality, should also call the manufacturer and make them aware of it. They can't fix the problem unless they get complaints. Too many companies are cutting corners. Now I am wondering what it REALLY was (?) that I took. It sure had a totally different effect on me. And yes, very strong chemical smell upon opening the bottle. Like varnish or something. Best of luck.

Hi NotInOz, I am having the exact same problem with TEVA clonazepam .5mg. I've been taking it for 10 years and have never had a problem with it until my last prescription which has a strong chemical odor and taste along with a mild sedative effect, like taking an antihistamine, and an increase in anxiety. I've been in contact with the QA department of TEVA and was informed that they changed the formulation in Nov 2015. I've been getting my clonazepam from the same big chain pharmacy, so they probably had a lot of the pre-formulation change clonazepam in stock and only recently brought in the new stuff. I am waiting to see if TEVA will let me know what ingredients have changed. I did a little research on the inactive ingredients of clonazepam from 7 different generic manufacturers and it turns out that TEVA's clonazepam is the only one that contains the chemical Povidone, which some people may be sensitive to or have an allergic reaction to. I suspect this is the ingredient causing the chemical odor/taste and the strange sedation/no efficacy/increased anxiety effect. I do not know for sure if it is responsible for this but I strongly suspect it is as the other inactive ingredients are commonly-occuring ingredients in processed foods. (various types of sodium, food coloring, etc). I am hoping to hear back from TEVA as to what the specific new ingredient (if any) is and will be sure to update this post with that info. I've informed the TEVA QA dept that others are having issues with the new formulation and they would like to be contacted regarding this. So anyone out there having the same issues, please contact them at 888-838-2872.

Can you tell me which generic clonazepam you switched to (if you did switch?). I would like to know as to avoid the trial and error process. I am planning on tapering off clonazepam in the next year and need to find one that is comparable in efficacy to the old TEVA stuff so I can stabilize before tapering. Thanks in advance for your response.

dannybex

No chemical odor here @leela, and am taking the same yellow 0.5 mg dose. Not as effective, but I think that's because I've been taking it for 10 years, and good ol' medicaid will not allow an increase. So...am trying to add other things to help.

Did you ever figure out or resolve the issue?