• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone know why Instant Sleepiness after taking new Probiotic, also has happened w/CoQ10?

Jennifer J

Hi, Everyone. I just took a new Probiotic and instantly I felt so tired that I could fall asleep :sleep: right that moment. (I'm still feeling that sleepy now.) A few moments later my left eye hurt and my under eye lid is slightly swollen. This instantly incredibly sleepy (and I couldn't stay awake) happened to me also the two times I've tried CoQ10, and I had other symptoms afterwards, too. :nervous:

Curious, what is happening? It happens so instantaneously.

Thank you in advance for anything you know that will help me to understand what is happening.
I'm extreeeemely grateful and thankful to you for using your energy to share. :hug:

Last edited:
Most probiotics have 6 or 8 different strains, and each strain can affect people differently. It can vary depending on so much of your personal health including what good or bad gut bacteria you have.

I remember reading something about how a couple of the most common strains cause drowsiness or other symptoms.

I don't have a link or more specific details, but it scared me into not using the probiotics with multiple strains. I think the link was here on PR, but I don't know where. I would like to see it again.

Also some people blame it on a temporary reaction, sort of like antibiotics causing people to feel worse before they feel better.

Groggy Doggy

Hi, Everyone. I just took a new Probiotic and instantly I felt so tired that I could fall asleep :sleep: right that moment. (I'm still feeling that sleepy now.) A few moments later my left eye hurt and my under eye lid is slightly swollen. This instantly incredibly sleepy (and I couldn't stay awake) happened to me also the two times I've tried CoQ10, and I had other symptoms afterwards, too. :nervous:

Curious, what is happening? It happens so instantaneously.

Thank you in advance for anything you know that will help me to understand what is happening.
I'm extreeeemely grateful and thankful to you for using your energy to share. :hug:
Did you take the Probiotic on an empty stomach with a large glass of water?

Jennifer J

Thank you @SickOfSickness. That's helpful. :angel:

The thing I don't understand (which there is a lot I don't know and understand :eek:), is that it happened a moment after I took it. The enteric capsule wouldn't have had time to get anywhere, it would have just hit my stomach. How can that be? Then again allergic reactions and other things can happen that quickly.

Did you take the Probiotic on an empty stomach with a large glass of water

Thank you, @Groggy Doggy. No I don't do well taking things on an empty stomach. Directions said I could take it with or without food.

Last edited:

Groggy Doggy

Thank you @SickOfSickness. That's helpful. :angel:

The thing I don't understand (which there is a lot I don't know and understand :eek:), is that it happened a moment after I took it. The enteric capsule wouldn't have had time to get anywhere, it would have just hit my stomach. How can that be? Then again allergic reactions and other things can happen that quickly.

Thank you, @Groggy Doggy. No I don't do well taking things on an empty stomach. Directions said I could take it with or without food.
_____

Have you tried drinking Kombucha? Thanks another way to get probiotic benefits. There are many brands and flavors.