• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why Does Drinking Electrolyte Water Help POTS?

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
where is the best place to buy them? Is there one brand that seems to work better for ME?

The brands I mentioned above came recommended by people with ME. I think you just have to try different mixes and see which ones you prefer. Many come in 2 versions, 1 with caffeine, and one without. Get the one without caffeine. Every brand you could ever imagine is on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Electrolyte+mix

Groggy Doggy

Yes. There are all kinds of brands of mixes one can put in ones water, Electo-mix, Nuun, etc. I was very surprised at the boost they offer.
Hi @Never Give Up,

I purchased 2 small packets, they were on sale, 'Vega Sport electrotlye hydrator'. It has zero calories (uses Stevia instead of Sugar). I purchased 2 flavors, Berry and Lemon/Lime. The cashier said these were his favorites. I will give them a try to see if I feel any better; still plan to try the Electo-mix and Nuun.
  • "Replenish key electrolytes and minerals to stay hydrated during exercise
  • Zero calories - stevia sweetened; vegan and free of dairy, gluten, soy and artificial flavors and colors
  • 100% daily value of vitamin C provides antioxidant protection from damage caused by free radicals"
Thanks!

GD :dog:

Groggy Doggy

Hello,

Here is an update. I am impressed with the product, so plan on going back to the store to purchase a large sized container. I felt better, and for a longer time period (several hours) after drinking it as compared to my old home brew (pinch of salt, water, lemon juice, & potassium tab). My energy level increased, brain fog decreased, positive mood increased. I also plan to investigate their complementary products ("Prepare" -> "Sustain" -> "Recover"), since the electrolye hydrator formula is their 'Sustain' product. The lemon lime flavor is my favorite.

It was a great $.79 investment to try out a sample size. Wish I had known about this product years ago.

Vega Sport Electrolyte Hydrator - Lemon Lime
upload_2016-6-28_19-48-50.png

Never Give Up

Hello,

Here is an update. I am impressed with the product, so plan on going back to the store to purchase a large sized container. I felt better, and for a longer time period (several hours) after drinking it as compared to my old home brew (pinch of salt, water, lemon juice, & potassium tab). My energy level increased, brain fog decreased, positive mood increased. I also plan to investigate their complementary products ("Prepare" -> "Sustain" -> "Recover"), since the electrolye hydrator formula is their 'Sustain' product. The lemon lime flavor is my favorite.

It was a great $.79 investment to try out a sample size. Wish I had known about this product years ago.

Vega Sport Electrolyte Hydrator - Lemon Lime
View attachment 16207
That's great!

Paralee

I haven't found a single drink for replacing electrolytes because we are all so different. When my husband goes out to work in the heat I give him a big glass of water, some Celtic salt in a veggie capsule, 1/2 a potassium pill and a magnesium pill. I know I'm not giving him everything so I'm going to get a good mineral suplement.

Some of us take Losartan for blood pressure and this hangs onto potassium, that's why I just usually give him a half a potassium pill. Occasionally when he comes in I give him some calcium because calcium and magnesium work best when taken apart (they use the same receptors) or so I keep reading.

I keep trying to remember a little sugar helps get the liquid into the cells but I forget it sometimes. He doesn'[t fight me anymore on it, he feels so much better when he comes back in from being outside several hours. I think he's starting to believe I might really know a few things. grin.

I'm glad I found this thread because I didn't know there were "real" electrolyte replacers, unlike gatorade.

I would say for me, take it daily, especially in the summer.
I use a simple recipe of about a quarter a teaspoon of sea salt, same of baking soda, and add some normal fruit juice to the water for taste.

Anyone wanting recipes, YouTube is full of them, along with cycling forums. (or cycling channels on YouTube) The cycling ones are probably better than most, as they require electrolyte replacement drinks that are very easy on the stomach.

Mel9

I would say for me, take it daily, especially in the summer.
I use a simple recipe of about a quarter a teaspoon of sea salt, same of baking soda, and add some normal fruit juice to the water for taste.

Anyone wanting recipes, YouTube is full of them, along with cycling forums. (or cycling channels on YouTube) The cycling ones are probably better than most, as they require electrolyte replacement drinks that are very easy on the stomach.

I take Gastrolyte
3 times a day

hellytheelephant

Thanks for all the good advice- I have just bought some and will let you know how it goes. I have been advised to start gradually and build up, so that is the plan.
MyProtein 250 g Electrolyte powder Essential Salts

hellytheelephant

I have been taking half a litre once a day,( is this enough to start with?)then last Friday I ended up going out in the car for 4 hours, despite not feeling at all well ( long story). I had only taken a few sips of the electrolyte....We went to a pub in search of sustenance and I nearly passed out. I have not felt like that for a few years and last passed out about 4 years ago. We drove home with me lying on the back seat. I could hardly walk into the house and lay in the bed unable to move.After chugging half a litre I got up and made tea!!

Wondering if the electrolyte somehow caused me to feel faint...or if it was just that I was poorly and normally would not have gone out feeling so bad.

Any other 'fainters for no reason' out there?? Thanks Peeps :nerd:

Never Give Up

I have been taking half a litre once a day,( is this enough to start with?)then last Friday I ended up going out in the car for 4 hours, despite not feeling at all well ( long story). I had only taken a few sips of the electrolyte....We went to a pub in search of sustenance and I nearly passed out. I have not felt like that for a few years and last passed out about 4 years ago. We drove home with me lying on the back seat. I could hardly walk into the house and lay in the bed unable to move.After chugging half a litre I got up and made tea!!

Wondering if the electrolyte somehow caused me to feel faint...or if it was just that I was poorly and normally would not have gone out feeling so bad.

Any other 'fainters for no reason' out there?? Thanks Peeps :nerd:
Was it hot?

We generally find it works better if we drink the same volume in 3 sessions spread throughout the day, sometimes we need a 2nd 1/2 liter.

I carry the mix or tabs in my purse and car for just such occasions.

IreneF

Regarding the one electrolyte, sodium, here is my theory. Our bodies cell signaling process does not work correctly. Throughout the day, ideally when we are fatigued, our bodies are supposed to respond by making more sodium. But for a subtype of ME, the cells are not signalling properly, and fail to make the sodium needed. So what are symptoms of low sodium?
  • weakness.
  • fatigue or low energy.
  • headache.
  • nausea and vomiting.
  • muscle cramps or spasms.
  • confusion.
  • irritability.
Another ME subtype is related to Calcium. Here again the cell signaling is at fault and it not responding.

Another ME subtype is related to LDL cholesterol. Our brains are not getting enough LDL.

But we are too many years behind in looking at ME as a cell metabolic disorder. It needs to be housed correctly at the NIH if we are to have hope in getting research funds to study it. ME needs to housed in NIDDK.

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/about-nidd...sease/Pages/endocrine-metabolic-diseases.aspx

"Examples of NIDDK-supported research efforts in these areas include:

• Studies of environmental factors that may alter thyroid function.
  • Research building on discoveries about the specific effects of various cystic fibrosis-causing genetic mutations in order to develop therapies that counteract the disease at a molecular level.
  • Studies increasing our understanding of how cells sense and respond to available fuel and nutrient levels.
  • Experiments aiming to understand the molecular mechanisms underlying autoimmune disorders such Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Graves disease.
  • Research to understand the role of parathyroid hormone in bone health and to identify the best treatment for hyperparathyroidism, a condition in which the parathyroid glands produce too much hormone."

So meanwhile while US governement funded studies are investing only in ones with a ME hypothesis such as viral, immune, or gut bacteria.....gaining private funding will be an ongoing challenge to study alternative theories such as cell metabolism.

I find it both sad and frustrating, but that's the reality right now. I feel privately funded studies will figure it out first.

GD
Our bodies do not make make sodium or most other electrolytes. They come from the diet. (Calcium is stored in the bones.)

I used to drink salt water. I didn't feel like it helped very much, but it's worth a try, unless you have kidney problems. It's ultra-cheap. I don't think you need to add anything else if your goal is to increase your blood volume, as long as you aren't vomiting or experiencing diarrhea.

Salt helps you retain water for chemical reasons having to do with ionic charges. (Electrolytes are ions.) The kidneys have to work harder to get rid of the salt, which is why docs put people on low-salt diets for high blood pressure.

Groggy Doggy

Our bodies do not make make sodium or most other electrolytes. They come from the diet. (Calcium is stored in the bones.)

I used to drink salt water. I didn't feel like it helped very much, but it's worth a try, unless you have kidney problems. It's ultra-cheap. I don't think you need to add anything else if your goal is to increase your blood volume, as long as you aren't vomiting or experiencing diarrhea.

Salt helps you retain water for chemical reasons having to do with ionic charges. (Electrolytes are ions.) The kidneys have to work harder to get rid of the salt, which is why docs put people on low-salt diets for high blood pressure.

Thank you for responding. Please let me clarify, I have a better grasp on the science since I last posted. The process is called Salt Inducible Kinesis (SIK)

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
Ah, the body electric. The body normally maintains a strict sodium/potassium balance in order to operate. I have adrenal issues and as a result don't secrete much of certain hormones which can throw this balance seriously off. An adrenal crisis can quickly be fatal, primarily due to losing control of the electrolyte balance.

Here is an interesting quote that might be relevant to many with CFS/ME:
Understanding A High Sodium/Potassium Ratio
A normal sodium/potassium ratio is between 2.5:1 and 4.49:1. Commonly, the sodium/potassium ratio is elevated on a hair analysis. A high ratio is associated with specific symptoms including acute stress, inflammation, and at times symptoms associated with zinc and/or magnesium deficiency....

Acute Stress
Sodium and potassium are regulated mainly by the adrenal hormones aldosterone and cortisol. Aldosterone causes sodium absorption and simultaneous excretion of potassium. This occurs in the kidneys, the intestines, and in the sweat and saliva. (Guyton, P. 945-946). Cortisol has a somewhat opposite effect. A high sodium/potassium ratio on a hair analysis is an indicator of a relatively greater secretion of aldosterone in relation to cortisol.

Sodium retention by aldosterone is part of the alarm reaction or fight-or-flight reaction to stress. Early in the alarm reaction, the potassium level remains low. Thus, on a tissue mineral test, the ratio of sodium to potassium is elevated. In contrast, a low sodium/potassium ratio indicates chronic stress, higher cortisol secretion and an exhaustion stage of stress.

What if a person has a high sodium/potassium ratio but is a slow oxidizer? That is, the levels of sodium and potassium remain low even though the ratio of sodium to potassium is high. Slow oxidation often indicates an exhaustion stage of stress. However, within the exhaustion stage one can have an acute stress response indicated by a high sodium/potassium ratio. This is a common occurrence. A slow oxidizer with a low sodium/potassium ratio means a double exhaustion stage pattern, which is definitely less desirable.

http://www.arltma.com/Newsletters/HighSodPotNews.htm

Last edited:

hellytheelephant

UPDATE: my apologies for having been unable to respond before now.
I have been taking 2x half litres a day for the last 4 weeks- half a litre first thing, and the other at 5pm when I normally slump. I have to do the same every day and chug it down not sip.
I feel that this really does make quite a difference- particularly in being able to stand. I have had less of the 'melting to the floor' feeling, my skin is also plumper and a better colour- the GP actually said I look better. The big test will come when I have another blood test in a couple of months....and we will see if it actually flows out rather than refusing too!

@Never Give Up- yes, it was hot...and I think it has been every time I have fainted- I had not made the connection before.

Pyrrhus

To better understand how increasing blood volume can alleviate orthostatic intolerance, see:

Orthostatic Intolerance Basics: Dysautonomia of Blood Vessels, Low Blood Volume, and Baroreflexes
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...sels-low-blood-volume-and-baroreflexes.86445/

For more information on electrolyte drinks, see:

POTS Treatment / Salt Tabs & Electrolyte Powder
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/pots-treatment-salt-tabs-electrolyte-powder.60303/

Salt tabs: Favorite brands? Dosage?
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/salt-tabs-favorite-brands-dosage.83671/

Ultima Replenisher Electrolyte Mix
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/ultima-replenisher-electrolyte-mix.39136/