• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

If you had a few spare bucks, what would you buy to ease your condition?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I wouldn't mind a totally silent refrigerator, if such a thing exists.

It's possible to build a vented enclosure around a fridge to minimize the noise. Or you can add sound absorbent padding behind and beside the fridge (if you have room) to reduce the hum. You can also keep the fridge and freezer full (even just using containers of water) to reduce heat loss when opening the doors, which means the fridge won't need to cool itself as often.

More ideas from Google.

I often fantasize about getting 2 things:

A bathtub large enough so I can lay down completely flat - I'd fill it with just enough warm water and Epsom Salts so that I could float weightlessly without having pressure on any part of my body. (I have a weird bathroom that's big enough to do this if it's a square tub and I laid diagonally, and it's in the middle of the house with no windows so I'd basically have my own sensory deprivation chamber like those popping up for people to float in the dark/silence (but are SO expensive to use)) Ahhh, that would be bliss.

The second thing I really want would be an adjustable bed base (like a hospital bed but more adjustable) so I could put my upper body and legs in a perfectly relaxed position. I tried one of these at a sleep store and the sales rep adjusted it to the "optimal" angles for the human body. I laid there a minute and then he adjusted it back to completely flat like a regular bed and I literally busted out laughing because it felt like he was stretching me out on a Medieval Rack! I'm not kidding. I can't lay on my back and now I know why. That was several years ago and I've dreamt of getting an adjustable bed base ever since...

Vineyard1

Someone to clean and organize!

On the gadgets end, I just ordered a really good HR monitor that tracks HR 24 hours, sleep quality--probably records what you are thinking too!

Would you mind sharing what HR monitor you purchased?...and as it has been a couple of months sine the post do you still consider it a good product?...Thank You!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Would you mind sharing what HR monitor you purchased?...and as it has been a couple of months sine the post do you still consider it a good product?...Thank You!
I got the Polar A300 with a chest strap. It has been a very good one for me as the strap is a soft fabric and doesn't bother me like the older hard plastic ones. I wear it 24/7 and download the data to my computer each day. It tracks all sorts of things but the HR graph is the most important for me. It also does the activity tracking that other types of monitors do. Also, you charge the watch part on your computer and can replace the battery in the chest strap but just removing the battery cover.

I can also print out any graph that concerns me and show my cardiologist.

Vineyard1

I got the Polar A300 with a chest strap. It has been a very good one for me as the strap is a soft fabric and doesn't bother me like the older hard plastic ones. I wear it 24/7 and download the data to my computer each day. It tracks all sorts of things but the HR graph is the most important for me. It also does the activity tracking that other types of monitors do. Also, you charge the watch part on your computer and can replace the battery in the chest strap but just removing the battery cover.

I can also print out any graph that concerns me and show my cardiologist.

Thank You!...ordered and should arrive tomorrow.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thank You!...ordered and should arrive tomorrow.
I hope you like it. It is a bit complicated to set up but you can download the instruction manual and do it bit by bit. It took me a few days to figure it all out as it has so many functions.

Gingergrrl

I bought an electric wheelchair!!! :D:D I found one 2nd hand and put in an offer. Praying it arrives in one piece. Not well enough to go out in it atm, but woo! :):balloons:

@Apple that is awesome and did it arrive in one piece?!! How is it working out so far? Hoping you love it as much as I do with mine.

What is this?
It is a PEMF (Pulsed Electro Magnetic Frequency) device. It uses low frequency. These can impact the electrical environment around the cells during treatment and can up with Ca2+ gating, improving nutrient flow into cells, etc.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17537462
There have been limited studies showing pain improvements with FM, and most have been small groups. It has been very helpful controlling my pain. It should be used when well hydrated.
There have been some studies showing improvements with arthritis:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20329696
There are also a number of poorly performed studies using questionable devices that produced questionable results.

Gingergrrl

My initial response was the motorized wheelchair which I did buy and has been life-changing. My current response is that I would have the money to be able to continue with IVIG for as long as I am medically benefitting regardless when my insurance cuts me off.