• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ringing in ears

pemone

I see. Idk, I used to take up to 10mg and worked amazing on myself. :-/

3mg or more would put a person into a day long slumber. You want melatonin to do its job while you sleep and to have metabolized down to nothing around the time you awake.

2Cor.12:9

Does anyone else have a 24/7 ringing in the ears?
Am I nuts?

YES!! 24/7 for years! It's a continuous non-stop high pitched ring that's sometimes louder than others. Sometimes with different sounds accompanying it - one of the strangest in addition a fluttering - sounds like a moth is trapped in there fluttering it's wings. I've had an MRI to check for tumors, and tests for Meneir's - everything is fine.

I've just started on Low Dose Naltrexone and am very curious to find out if it will help that.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Sometimes with different sounds accompanying it - one of the strangest in addition a fluttering - sounds like a moth is trapped in there fluttering it's wings.
That sounds like something I get, also in addition to the usual high pitched tone.

I hate, hate, hate the fluttering but luckily it's reactive. Do you find that anything in particular causes it? I'm most likely to get it from the noise of cutlery on a dinner plate but other things such as certain computer tones can set it off, too. It feels like a spasm in the ear and I have the impression that it could be objectively confirmed, unlike the high pitched tone.

Strangely, both types of tinnitus affect only my left ear.

meadowlark

Well, it speaks to my cognitive problems that I began this thread and somehow lost track of it about half a year ago. I want to thank everyone for replying and apologize for dropping out of my own thread. (I've now learned how to get alerts when someone adds to it.)

My hearing continues to be pretty bad, and the ringing/roaring seems to wax and wane according to what's going on with my sinuses. I had the sinus flu eighteen months ago and it never went away--it just changes shape, and changes its constellation of symptoms. Recently "the sinus thing" stopped putting my eyes into a continual blur and instead revved up the hearing problems again. It can get seriously bad; this morning, I realized I could hear only a faint sound from iTunes.

I'll be asking my gp about the gluten/dairy free diet and trying other tune-ups mentioned here. Thank you, everyone.

halcyon

The fluttering is probably tensor tympani syndrome which has been noted to occur in ME patients along with hyperacusis.

ahmo

@ahmo, how did you go about clearing your adrenals?
I was engaged in a gentle detox, ongoing,. I'd begun having adrenal symptoms in my face, moving to low back pain, and realized it was due to my high methyl folate dose. It turned out green veggies were blocking the folate. I stopped the veg, and my detox went wild: suddenly 'over-methylating'. After a couple weeks there was a dramatic release.

My adrenals had been very painful, I was using poultices as well as coffee enemas, footbaths. After this climax, my adrenals were relieved. From this point I was able to stop the adrenal glandulars I'd relied on for 2 years. Also, my long-standing irritability, agitation, low tolerance for frustration mutated. They no longer dominated my life, now are related to significant stress or need to detox. Also, I woke up w/o tinnitus. When it returns, I know it's time for coffee enemas. Link in my sig to coffee enemas.

frog_in_the_fog

Test Subject
I have persistent ringing that gets louder with stress and fatigue. Usually the worsening of the tinnitus is my cue to stop everything. I haven't found anything that helps other than rest.

Jammy88

I have persistent ringing that gets louder with stress and fatigue. Usually the worsening of the tinnitus is my cue to stop everything. I haven't found anything that helps other than rest.

Frog,

have you tried melatonin at night before going to sleep? It's supposed to help with tinnitus. In my case worked pretty good

Jimbo39

I just noticed this is a pretty old thread. Oh well, it's a major problem for me. Ever since my doc suddenly cut off my hydrocodone (which threw me into a massive glutamic storm), I've had constant ringing in my ears. I can't sleep without white noise. I read this...

HNO. 2007 Dec;55(12):964-71.
[The role of cochlear neurotransmitters in tinnitus].
[Article in German]
Mazurek B1, Stöver T, Haupt H, Gross J, Szczepek A.
Author information
  • 1HNO-Klinik und Poliklinik, Tinnituszentrum, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Campus Charité Mitte, Charitéplatz 1, 10117 Berlin. birgit.mazurek@charite.de
Abstract
Pathologic changes in the cochlear neurotransmission, e.g. as a result of intensive noise exposure or ototoxic drugs, can be a factor in the development of tinnitus. The efficiency of inhibitory and excitatory neurotransmitters may then be modulated at the switching points. Glutamate is the most important afferent neurotransmitter within the inner ear. A massive glutamate release induced by cochlear damage may result in excitotoxicity and irrevocable cell death. Efferent cochlear neurotransmitters include dopamine, gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA), acetylcholine (ACH) and serotonin. Dopamine and GABA are inhibitory transmitters that may protect the cochlea from excitotoxicity. ACH, like GABA, reduces the stiffness of the outer hair cells and increases their motility. Serotonin is a neuromodulator of the cholinergic and GABAergic innervation within the cochlea and can inhibit glutamatergic impulses. Our understanding of neurotransmission in the cochlea has been extended by advances in molecular biology, which has given rise to new approaches in the treatment of tinnitus. As there are several types of tinnitus, differing in aetiology and development, our present challenge is to achieve precise identification of the cause in individual cases of tinnitus.

I hope the cell death part isn't true