• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Omega Oils - good for inflammation, bad for stomach.. help

ebethc

I've been trying different Omegas (mostly Vegetarian DHA, but also Fish Oil, Flax, EPO..) and they're great for inflammation, but bad for digestion.. It fixes one problem and causes another..

Any suggestion on taking high doses of Omegas (~ 4 grams ) without stomach upset? Are any Omegas better then others? I'm thinking of asking my doctor for Lovaza..which is hopefully super pure since it's rx.. plus my insurance will pay for it.

Thinktank

High quality krill oil (Neptune) is the only DHA/EPA oil that doesn't cause digestive upset or fishy burps in me. Besides being very pure and safe it also contains astaxanthin, a powerful anti-oxidant.

ebethc

High quality krill oil (Neptune) is the only DHA/EPA oil that doesn't cause digestive upset or fishy burps in me. Besides being very pure and safe it also contains astaxanthin, a powerful anti-oxidant.

@Thinktank - thanks!! Is there a particular brand that you like?

Martial

There is this small private cold liver oil company that works extremely well, perhaps see how it works for you. They sell use rat fish oil. Highest quality fish oil products I have seen.

http://evclo.com/

jepps

Maybe this product helps with reducing inflammation, and it´s better for the stomach:

https://www.amazon.com/Metagenics-OmegaGenics-SPM-Active-Softgels/dp/B019FYPYRA#customerReviews

http://holisticprimarycare.net/topi...rs-a-new-tool-for-resolving-inflammation.html

Specialized pro-resolving mediators, or SPMs, represent a portion of the omega-3 fatty acid spectrum that has a powerful effect on reducing inflammation. As such, SPMs present us with an important new tool for regulating the inflammatory response in our patients.

SPMs resolve inflammation very effectively, without compromising the immune response, and without risky side effects.

SPMs, which represent a super family of naturally occurring lipid mediators, play a crucial role in switching off the inflammatory response.

SPMs do not block the initial inflammation phase. After all, inflammation is a desirable and natural response to injury and illness. Instead, when the immune response has served its purpose, SPMs down-regulate the process to resolve the inflammation.

I found Solgar flax seed oil much easier on the stomach than any fish oil, or other brands.

I always make sure to take it with tomatoes and cucmbers. It goes well with those. My dietician says to never take omega 3 on an empty stomach but with vegetables.

ebethc

I've been trying different Omegas (mostly Vegetarian DHA, but also Fish Oil, Flax, EPO..) and they're great for inflammation, but bad for digestion.. It fixes one problem and causes another..

Any suggestion on taking high doses of Omegas (~ 4 grams ) without stomach upset? Are any Omegas better then others? I'm thinking of asking my doctor for Lovaza..which is hopefully super pure since it's rx.. plus my insurance will pay for it.

UPDATE: I did get an rx for lovaza and it was great! Super pure, no stomach upset.. even at high doses.. highly recommend it.

Unfortunately I know longer have fancy insurance and so I can't afford it anymore.. I've been taking lower dose algal DHA (lower dose because I can't afford more than 1gram per day) and that's no problem... can't say whether it's easier on my stomach because I am taking less or because I'm taking a vegetarian source... my hunch is both

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
The Bugwig diet for cancer uses high amounts of flax oil (four tablespoons per day). One way they get more oil into the body is to mix it with ground flax seed which absorbs some of the oil.

I mix a tablespoon of flax seed oil into a protein powder smoothie, along with 2-3 tablespoons of fresh ground flax. The smootie is usually 3-4 cups worth so I split it into 3 separate small meals. I've never had any digestive problems doing it this way, even with 4 tablespoons of oil mixed in.