• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

'Closer to a full understanding of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome'

Kati

Patient in training
https://www.scimex.org/newsfeed/closer-to-a-full-understanding-of-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

This seems to be a media release from Griffith University regarding the latest paper on faulty receptors

Publicly released: Thu 9 Jun 2016 at 1500 AEST | Thu 9 Jun 2016 at 1700 NZST
Biological Research

A new finding in the cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) has been identified by researchers at Griffith University who say they are getting much closer to a complete understanding of this disabling condition.

This is the news from a team at the National Centre for Neuroimmunology and Emerging Diseases at the Menzies Health Institute Queensland, where a research team has identified significant impairments in the cellular function of people with CFS.

CFS – sometimes known as ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis) – is a complex illness characterised by impaired memory and concentration, metabolic, cardiac, gut and immune dysfunction and debilitating muscle pain and fatigue on exertion (also known as neuroimmune exhaustion).

Published in Biological Research, (https://biolres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40659-016-0087-2) the study reveals a receptor not previously identified on particular immune cells.

“TRPM3 receptors have been identified on these particular immune cells, not only in healthy people for the first time, but also have been shown to be significantly reduced in CFS/ME patients,” says Professor Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik who is leading the study.

“These receptors are important as they move calcium inside the cell. Interestingly in this study we also reported a significant reduction of calcium inside these cells from CFS/ME patients.

“The discovery means that we now have a potentially key contributing factor in the cause of this condition. This discovery also fits with our previous research showing that changes in genes and cell function are involved in vital cell signalling pathways found in all cell types.”

“These findings contribute to our knowledge of the clinical presentation of this condition and provide a sound basis for further research,” says Professor Don Staines. “We are now much closer to having a complete understanding of CFS.”

In another recent publication Clinical Therapeutics, NCNED researchers have shown that few therapeutic interventions are currently effective in CFS/ME.

“This is a very complex illness and it is likely that no single intervention will counter all effects of the pathology. We need to have concentrated efforts on further research to discover appropriate treatments which are effective,” Professor Staines says.

In the coming weeks these novel research findings are being presented by NCNED researchers at international clinical and research conferences in London and the Federation of America Societies For Experiential Biology (FASEB), Lisbon

Living Dead

I read that more calcium in the cells equals more nitric oxide (NO) production. Some patients seems to have too low NO production, but I think the majority has too much. Or too much in most places, and too low in other places.

alex3619

I read that more calcium in the cells equals more nitric oxide (NO) production. Some patients seems to have too low NO production, but I think the majority has too much. Or too much in most places, and too low in other places.
Receptor distribution varies between cell types. In addition, its ionized calcium in the cell that is the issue, and typically this is from internal stores. If the cells are releasing too much calcium for triggering enzymes like calmodulin, then they are depleting their stores.

This is a tricky and complex set of biochemical factors. We need even more research to tease out what is happening.

MEMum

https://www.scimex.org/newsfeed/closer-to-a-full-understanding-of-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

This seems to be a media release from Griffith University regarding the latest paper on faulty receptors

Publicly released: Thu 9 Jun 2016 at 1500 AEST | Thu 9 Jun 2016 at 1700 NZST
Biological Research

A new finding in the cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) has been identified by researchers at Griffith University who say they are getting much closer to a complete understanding of this disabling condition.

This is the news from a team at the National Centre for Neuroimmunology and Emerging Diseases at the Menzies Health Institute Queensland, where a research team has identified significant impairments in the cellular function of people with CFS.

CFS – sometimes known as ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis) – is a complex illness characterised by impaired memory and concentration, metabolic, cardiac, gut and immune dysfunction and debilitating muscle pain and fatigue on exertion (also known as neuroimmune exhaustion).

Published in Biological Research, (https://biolres.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40659-016-0087-2) the study reveals a receptor not previously identified on particular immune cells.

“TRPM3 receptors have been identified on these particular immune cells, not only in healthy people for the first time, but also have been shown to be significantly reduced in CFS/ME patients,” says Professor Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik who is leading the study.
“These receptors are important as they move calcium inside the cell. Interestingly in this study we also reported a significant reduction of calcium inside these cells from CFS/ME patients.

“The discovery means that we now have a potentially key contributing factor in the cause of this condition. This discovery also fits with our previous research showing that changes in genes and cell function are involved in vital cell signalling pathways found in all cell types.”

“These findings contribute to our knowledge of the clinical presentation of this condition and provide a sound basis for further research,” says Professor Don Staines. “We are now much closer to having a complete understanding of CFS.”

In another recent publication Clinical Therapeutics, NCNED researchers have shown that few therapeutic interventions are currently effective in CFS/ME.

“This is a very complex illness and it is likely that no single intervention will counter all effects of the pathology. We need to have concentrated efforts on further research to discover appropriate treatments which are effective,” Professor Staines says.

In the coming weeks these novel research findings are being presented by NCNED researchers at international clinical and research conferences in London and the Federation of America Societies For Experiential Biology (FASEB), Lisbon

I'll try and look at my notes on Don Staines talk from I in ME conf over the w/e and see if I have anything more than the published paper.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
The paper has an interesting hypothesis - but I don't know how lower expression of TRPM3 receptors fit into the big picture.

There needs to be more than speculative notions of the impact on Ca2+ ion flux, or suggestions this is caused by a particular metabolic deficiency (why is there such a deficiency?)