• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Live tweeting from Invest in ME Biomedical Research Colloquium 2016

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I must admit it's all quite tight-lipped so far, though! The colloquium is not open to the public (and will not be recorded) and the tweeting at the moment seems to be more a matter of announcing when people take the podium.

Here's the programme (scroll down):

http://www.investinme.eu/BRMEC Colloquiums.shtml#BRMEC6

Hope @Jonathan Edwards might be able to give us a sense of things overall... :)

Simon

I must admit it's all quite tight-lipped so far, though! The colloquium is not open to the public (and will not be recorded) and the tweeting at the moment seems to be more a matter of announcing when people take the podium.
Yes, guess we won't see much action til the conference itself on Friday. Also, IiME are promsing conference highlights at the weekend, which is pretty impressive:

Simon

First day of colloquium (today, Weds 1 June)

Diagnosis (clinical) – Patient Stratification
(including the following)

Edit
- Angela Vincent — Emeritus professor of Neuroimmunology at Oxford, has been involved in conferences before (can't recall the details)

Sample Standardisation SOPs for Research (including the following)

Biomarkers: 1 Data

Edit Riley is Professor of Infectious Disease Immunology at the London School of Hygeine andTropical Medicine, and this is presumably reporting on the NIH-funded study linked to the UK biobank (£1m grant for looking at virology, immunology and gene expression of mecfs vs healthy and MS controls - includes recruiting a total of 300 new people to the biobank)

Biomarkers: 2 Imaging

Biomarkers: 3 Mitochondria
Edit More on Mike Murphy, who's new to me: Mike Murphy (Univ Cambridge) | MRC Mitochondrial Biology Unit
Targeting therapeutic and probe molecules to mitochondria, mitochondrial radical production and redox signalling

Adjourn

Wish I was there too

Last edited:

Seven7

Seven
Why so little update going on. This is so uncharacteristic of CFS events. Any gag on guests???

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Yes, one of the guests, who was there today, told me that they have been given very strict instructions not to share any information at all. Same reason as usual: a lot of what has been talked about hasn't been published yet.

Although this is frustrating for us, it's good to know that there's a lot in the publication pipeline and that the researchers are nevertheless happy to discuss their research with each other!

Simon

Agenda for Thursday 1 June

What the researchers will be discussing, but as yesterday we presumably won't hear anything, action strarts tomorrow at the main conferencce

BRMEC6 - Day 2

Summary Day 1 - Objectives of DAY 2 Dr Ian Gibson, UEA, UK Professor Jonathan Edwards, UCL, UK

Biomarkers: 4 Antibodies

Biomarkers: 5 Big Data Updates

Would particularly like to listen in to that session!

Biomarkers: 6 Phenotypes

Tom Wileman/Simon Carding are supported by IiME grants

Systems Biology

A Systems Biology approach Dr Travis Craddock, Nova Southeastern University, Miami, USA

This is Nancy Klimas's lab, presumably reporting on the kind of work Gordon Broderick has done in the past

Novel Treatments

Novel Treatments - Immunoadsorption Professor Carmen Scheibenbogen, Charite Berlin, Germany
Medical Education - BMJ Update Professor James Baraniuk, Georgetown University, USA

SUMMARY of BRMEC6 - Objectives Status Dr Ian Gibson Professor Jonathan Edwards
ends