• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How does IVIG work for both autoimmune and immune deficiencies?

Gingergrrl

Thanks @Navid and haven't heard from you in a long time and hoping you are doing okay as can be.

Thank you for the kind words and hoping I am not jinxing myself by posting this too prematurely but this is the most optimistic I have felt in a while that something is actually being offered to me that could help.

Am hoping my insurance gets on board otherwise I cannot pay for it. And I will take a smidgen better- that would be awesome!

Gingergrrl

Thanks Andy & Bill and just a few more hoops to jump through for insurance approval. If insurance denies me, not sure what happens and I guess we appeal but hoping they approve it. I probably should have waited to post in case insurance denies me but was so excited at the prospect of real treatment! And the hurdle of having a local doc on board has been solved which took several weeks but it was worth the effort!

Gingergrrl

Thanks @Kati and I really appreciate it. Am hoping my insurance will get on board with two docs saying it's medically necessary but it all comes down to the money sadly!

Billt

Hope you do better with the insurance than we did. Maybe they will give it to you on the first try.
The doctor can have a lot to do with getting the approval and sounds like you have one on your side.
Keep us updated...

Gingergrrl

Thanks @Billt and in spite of two docs on my side wanting IVIG they are preparing me for it to be denied in spite of overwhelming evidence of autoimmunity (and some evidence of immune deficiency at the same time) b/c insurances do not like to pay for this. But if (when!) it gets approve I will tell you exactly what we did in case it can help your son to still get it.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Ginger - really praying that you get the insurance approval for the IVIG, and that it helps you.

I'm interested to know if your MCAS Dr thinks it will help the MCAS as well as everything else? I have just started the low dose sub Q GG as I had become more or less bedbound again. I am sure it keeps me out of being bedbound, but not sure how this is working. I had to stop for a while as 8 months in to twice weekly injections I had an atypical anaphylaxis twice to one particular batch and it scared me off for a while, but im so desperate to at least be back to gentle pottering a little in the house that ive tried it again. new batch was OK so far at tiny doses.

Its annoying that it is so expensive in the US. It is possible to get it in Europe at a fraction of the cost.

Anyway, thinking of you as always x

Billt

Thanks @Billt and in spite of two docs on my side wanting IVIG they are preparing me for it to be denied in spite of overwhelming evidence of autoimmunity (and some evidence of immune deficiency at the same time) b/c insurances do not like to pay for this. But if (when!) it gets approve I will tell you exactly what we did in case it can help your son to still get it.

Yes it is very costly and they don't like to pay because they know it could be life long and cost them BIG $$$
I know you wouldn't give up, and heck maybe they will approve quick !

As for us several different doctors have now told us this will not work for him ( but I am still not convinced ! ) . So we have given up the IVIG fight for now .

Gingergrrl

Hi Ginger - really praying that you get the insurance approval for the IVIG, and that it helps you.

Thanks @justy and I really appreciate it.

I'm interested to know if your MCAS Dr thinks it will help the MCAS as well as everything else? I have just started the low dose sub Q GG as I had become more or less bedbound again. I am sure it keeps me out of being bedbound, but not sure how this is working. I had to stop for a while as 8 months in to twice weekly injections I had an atypical anaphylaxis twice to one particular batch and it scared me off for a while, but im so desperate to at least be back to gentle pottering a little in the house that ive tried it again. new batch was OK so far at tiny doses.

My MCAS doc does think that it could potentially help my MCAS and ideally bring my immune system back to the center or normalize it. I have several autoimmune markers and autoantibodies now (besides MCAS/allergic reactions) but also still have some abnormal viral titers and immune deficiencies. I will be doing it at the infusion center at his hospital where the nurses are specially trained to administer IVIG to his MCAS patients with a super slow infusion rate (like 8-10 hours) and start with the lowest dose and slowly build to the autoimmune dose. They know how to do the pre-meds and you can even bring your own meds since people with MCAS usually only tolerate certain brands. He is working with my main doc and it is like the dream team if only insurance will approve me.

I remember when you had the atypical anaphylaxis, which sounded scary, and am glad your new batch is better. I am not scared at all to try it at his infusion center but am too high of an anaphylaxis risk to do it at home. Although, he said in reality, someone with MCAS is no bigger of an ANA risk than someone without it as long as the infusion speed is very slow. It really remains unclear how the autoimmune dosing works but the theory is that the new antibodies replace the bad autoantibodies that I have? I am the last person to ask about anything scientific LOL. (And we did not talk about SCIG which may be totally different.)

My dream is that if the attack on my phrenic nerve and breathing is either viral or autoimmune, that it will repair it back to normal or at least improve it a tiny bit and after a while on IVIG, I want to try RTX (also at trained infusion center and nothing at home!)

Its annoying that it is so expensive in the US. It is possible to get it in Europe at a fraction of the cost.

IVIG is called "Liquid Gold" here and my co-pay alone will still be thousands of dollars but without the insurance, it is not an option for me. It's the true downfall of our system b/c I have my ME/CFS doc, MCAS doc, cardio, etc, all saying I need IVIG and submitting all the proper blood work and paperwork and insurance can still deny me.

Yes it is very costly and they don't like to pay because they know it could be life long and cost them BIG $$$ I know you wouldn't give up, and heck maybe they will approve quick !

I don't think it will be lifelong although if it worked, I would be willing to do it lifelong. And you know me too well, Bill, that I will not be giving up! I already know they will not approve it quickly but hoping by the end of June?

As for us several different doctors have now told us this will not work for him ( but I am still not convinced ! ) . So we have given up the IVIG fight for now .

I am not convinced either and think it could very well help your son but insurance just does not want to pay. I am amazed when I hear of so many people getting it. A close friend of mine was just approved after eight months of fighting for it so I know I might be in for the long haul...

Gingergrrl

I saw a new neuromuscular doc this morning (referred by my cardiologist) since the initial Neuro not able to help me. She was wonderful and in complete agreement with my other two docs that IVIG is the next step for me and willing to talk to them both and write a letter to help. So am hoping now with the three of them in unity, insurance will not turn me down. I need to do some additional blood work and jump through some more hoops (or wheelchair through them to be more accurate...) but am not backing down. Hoping the paperwork is submitted to insurance next week if all goes well.

Gingergrrl

upload_2016-6-3_14-16-48.png
upload_2016-6-3_14-17-44.png

These are for everyone in this situation needing a laugh, not just my attempt to get IVIG... Better to laugh than cry :cry: :rofl:

boohealth

Slow dosing is ideal. I started with about ten minutes (was scared) and wasted most of the bottle! I pay for mine. I could feel the difference even with a negligible dose. It should help you! And you may not need full dose. Good luck.

Gingergrrl

Slow dosing is ideal. I started with about ten minutes (was scared) and wasted most of the bottle! I pay for mine. I could feel the difference even with a negligible dose. It should help you! And you may not need full dose. Good luck.

I will be doing the super slowest dosing on earth to start per my MCAS doc. My docs hope to touch base with each other next week (it didn't happen this past week as planned) and then apply to the insurance after I do one more blood test.

So I haven't actually been denied by insurance b/c the request hasn't been made yet but am hoping it will next week. Am grateful to them for the time and effort put into this and hoping it pays off.

When you say you pay for yours, do you mean 100% private pay without insurance?!! This is not an option for me although am prepared to pay the co-pays. The autoimmune dosing is about 4x the immune deficiency dosing but this is what all of the doctors feel that I need. But will start with the low/slow dosing and build up to whatever I can tolerate.