• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

So what (Presciption) Medicine should I try next for my sleep?

Stretched

I am looking for Prescription Medicine, does anyone else have anything to add in that regard?

GG
Have you tried a 'cocktail' of low dose rx, eg Klonopin, 1mg with .5-1 cap Doxepin (50 mg) with or w/o .5 tab (of 50 mg) Trazadone; or Kl and Dox upped a little until it works? If early awake add 1 tab OTC, Kirkland's sleep aid reported as most effective (anecdotally).

This regimen has been working for my otherwise intractable insomnia for ~6 months. This follows withdrawals from 'z' pills and other narcotic or like hypnotics - of nearly 30 years on/off.

Another low level+ mix that gets the job done for me is Doxepin and .5 Gabapentin (300 GRE).
Both this and the above are Good for 8 - 10' with 1 awake, usually, to pee. Habituation and hangover
effect is mild but does take adjustment.

Usual disclaimer, that this is my experience only and results may vary.

BTW, if you try this relatively mild protocol forget about salivary moisture; mouth feels like abandoned coal mine until after breakfast.:depressed:

Last edited:
Cyproheptadine is worth a shot.

Its OTC in many countries and dirt cheap (its an old drug) if you need to buy from a pharmacy. The pharmocological profile is pretty similar to mirtazapine, in that both are potent antihistamines and selective serotonin antagonists, but cypro doesn't have a nasty side effect profile like mirtazapine.

I like cyproheptadine a lot more than doxylamine or benadryl, and cypro actually helps a little with sleep quality instead of just sleep induction and duration like other antihistamines.

hamsterman

@ggingues and all...

I experienced years of insomnia and so read this thread with interest. Presently I am doing a taper from Zopiclone, a Z-drug like Ambien and Lunesta. It is a pseudo-benzo with the same withdrawal problems as benzos. The taper must be done very slowly to avoid bad side effects ie insomnia, anxiety, muscles tightness and GI problems etc.

I have done a lot of research and most of these sleep drugs are really bad news. It is H*** to get off them. I suggest that you look at benzobuddies.org before you start on the big guns. Another good source is benzo.org.uk

So, what to do? I am presently sleeping quite well after years of problems. I believe it is because I am getting my life and body in better balance. Please look seriously at some of the supplements, lifestyle changes and sleep promotion behaviors. If you are presently on benzos or Z-drugs, read up on them on sites above.

@ggingues I have now reduced/tapered Zopiclone from about 1- 1.5 of a 7.5 mg tablet by a daily taper of 1%. I am now taking @1/2 at bedtime and 1/4 when I wake in the night. I use manicure scissors to cut off little bits to get the correct amount on a jeweler's scale I bought on Amazon. Taper is going well.

I truly wish I had never started on the Zopiclone or any other Benzo-like drug. They may work in the beginning but then you get to interdose withdrawal, memory problems, strange neurological problems. Most need to keep on increasing the dose as the body adapts to the drug.

Be careful! Be knowledgeable as to what you are getting yourself into! Or already are in.

Exactly how I feel. Please think twice before touching Benzos. I tried quite a few, and eventually settled on Klonezapan, and in the beginning it worked miracles... but after 3-4 month, it caused 'hangovers' and memory issues, and on top of that, I was gaining tolerance, so I decided to taper off, and it was HORRIFIC!!! I used to think Prednisone had the worse tappering effects, but Klon was worse... even if done correctly. I knew someone working at a detox center, and he said the worst cases are almost always Benzos, many far worse than heroine.

Wow just saw the Ingredients for this?
What is in Unisom?
SleepGels: The active sleep-aid ingredient is diphenhydramine HCl (50 mg/dose). SleepTabs: SleepTabs contain doxylamine succinate (25 mg/dose). Unisom Liquid: The active sleep-aid ingredient is diphenhydramine HCl (50 mg/dose or 30mL/dose).

Never realized 2 are the same. The Tablets are Doxylamine Succinate! The others are Benadryl

Hi I am new here.
CFS reacts to most anything to raise Adrenal levels as Cortisol levels are usually low. I understand as I have had it for years.