• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Possible use of repeated cold stress for reducing fatigue in chronic fatigue syndrome

drob31

I think the area it may help is in stimulating the immune system. Assuming that a dysfunctional immune system was allowing pathogens to run amok, if the cold sufficiently boosted it, you would wake it up and get rid of the infections... hypothetically.

u&iraok

having Adrenal Insufficiency I know cold is one of the major stressors for my adrenals.
Not ready to submit the system to these kind of shocks to try and strengthen it.

Whenever there's cold I need to supplement extra Hydrocortisone. It's a 1:1 relation. Cold treatment would kick the adrenals, just like coffee or a fright would. Kicking is not good for tired adrenals.

>reset the hpa-axis and or help boost metabolism.
I reset my HPA-axis with NLP/Mindfulness tools (Reverse Therapy and Gupta Amygdala Retraining). Physical resetting didn't work for me. Although I believe in the work of dr. Goldstein who sprays chemicals in the nose to deliver them swiftly to the brain.
I do not believe in shocking the system into a better modus operandi.

But I must say: now that I aid my adrenals sufficiently I am more cold tolerant. I even enjoy it. Cold doesn't invoke the stress reaction anymore. So: with better adrenals I think Cold Treatment may be something good.

I don't know if it has to do with my adrenals or why but I don't react at all well to the cold in any form. I do better being overheated than I do getting chilled. 80 degrees in my house and 76-78 degrees to sleep is my ideal. No cold water or air for me!

I tried alternating cold and hot water but it made me feel worse.