• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My hands curl up and won't open during over exertion - anyone else?

@Mrs Sowester sometimes i'm alone sometimes my partner is here. Either way though, i still get on with it the same just like normal everyday life. My partner is completely oblivious when i'm inching my way across the floor, he doesnt even notice anymore its so normal. He will pick me up by the armpits if required but its usually too painful so i'll opt to stay on the floor unless i'm desperate for the toilet :confused:

Back in the early days i'd often be lying on the floor shivering for many many hours before my parents noticed, and my dad would either step over me or get annoyed with me, so living alone when in this state is heaven in comparison.

I could definitely imagine a panic attack of the body happening after over exertion. I've never had a normal panic attack before so i dont know what thats like.

Mrs Sowester

No, I've never had a panic attack either so I'm clueless too.
It's interesting, astounding even how we adapt to such extreme symptoms and they become the norm! I'm not as badly affected as you, Mr S turned pale when I read out your caterpillar woman description to him. I just read your post in Jenny tips for ME's thread and I'm very glad you have that button under your pillow.
I agree that it's better to be alone than with someone who is uncaring or stress inducing. But I'm not as brave as you, I'd much rather have someone around when scary symptoms happen.

Mrs Sowester

Don't be sorry, he can handle it, maybe even deserves it - I haven't quite forgiven him for last weekend when I was horribly sick and instead of holding my hair, or being reassuring he said "Urgh, that sounded nasty. I tried to drown it out by turning on the TV, but couldn't find the remote".
You being caterpillar woman doesn't sound repulsive though, more extreme and worrying. This illness is bizarre, it's like going through the looking glass.