• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Surgeon is pressuring me to have my thyroid removed!

Hi @belize44

I found this on a website:

Doctors May Access Medical Records

Physicians and other health care practitioners have long been aware that knowing a relative's medical history can be enormously informative as far as the care of their patients. Accordingly, a doctor may make a request for medical records on another individual. HIPAA rules do not require that a physician be authorized by the estate to do so. Since doctors must already possess a sophisticated knowledge of the applicable privacy laws, HIPAA permits access to medical records for appropriate purposes.

Law Dictionary: How To Obtain Medical Records Of A Deceased Relative

Do you think your doctor would request the records?

It's great that you had an excellent visit with your new endocrinologist.:):)

leela

It appears you are entitled to receive those records for your medical treatment purposes.
I included the ehow article because it mentions that a request by phone is almost always fruitless.
Looks like if your doctor makes the request, you're good to go.

"First, disclosures of protected health information for treatment purposes—even the treatment of another individual—do not require an authorization; thus, a covered entity may disclose a decedent’s protected health information, without authorization, to the health care provider who is treating the surviving relative."

http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-profes...a-deceased-relative-medical-record/index.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_5113788_obtain-medical-records-deceased-relative.html

ETA: cross-posted with Kina

belize44

@barbc56: I have been researching free legal aid, but it is hard to tell if they would handle something like this. I may have to give a call and ask since I can't tell from their website.

belize44

Yes, it does look that way! So now, the thing is to find out who the doctor was that attended my mother. These HIPPA laws make everything so difficult! All I have is the name of the hospital where she died.

belize44

Here is an update: I had the biopsy done at another facility under another doctor (Endocrinologist.) The whole procedure went smoothly, with next to no discomfort. The only problem was near the end, when the attending physician requested some more passes to be made to another lobe of the thyroid, and the tech who was doing it was blabbing with another woman there, and actually did the wrong lobe!o_O I got a call later, and they said that based upon the doctor's findings, I might have to come back in for more probing! My neck is horribly sore right now, and I can't bear the thought that they may have to stick more needles into me. I should find out (hopefully) today.:nervous:

barbc56

Here is an update: I had the biopsy done at another facility under another doctor (Endocrinologist.) The whole procedure went smoothly, with next to no discomfort. The only problem was near the end, when the attending physician requested some more passes to be made to another lobe of the thyroid, and the tech who was doing it was blabbing with another woman there, and actually did the wrong lobe!o_O I got a call later, and they said that based upon the doctor's findings, I might have to come back in for more probing! My neck is horribly sore right now, and I can't bear the thought that they may have to stick more needles into me. I should find out (hopefully) today.:nervous:

Good luck. Let us know how this goes. :hug:

ETA Were you able to get your mother's medical records?

Last edited:

belize44

Good luck. Let us know how this goes. :hug:

ETA Were you able to get your mother's medical records?
Sorry, I didn't see that you had asked a question, barbc56! No, I wasn't able to find out the doctor's name who attended my mother. I am going to try to get my other sister to talk to my estranged sister and see if she can learn anything. My estranged sister is the only one who would have this information. An employee at the Health Department told me that the simplest route would be to obtain the attending doctor's name, then give this to my doctor so that they can communicate directly.

As for the endocrinologist, I went to her with high hopes, but got them dashed after my follow up visit yesterday. After she had read the notes from the biopsy, she informed me that there were no malignant cells, which I was glad to hear! But when I asked about thyroid treatment, she said that since my complaints were subjective and my lab results didn't show any problems, that she would merely order more blood work in a few months time, and another Ultrasound of my thyroid, next year. When I outlined my hypothyroid symptoms, she simply admonished me about reading too much online material and refused to at least validate my concerns.

Here I sit, with a swollen thyroid, thinning hair, drying skin and worsened difficulty swallowing, and her answers where that I was aging and that probably my Acid Reflux was causing difficulty swallowing! I suppose I was aging back in my thirties and forties, for that is how long these symptoms have been progressing! I am feeling very invalidated and frustrated right now. :(:meh:

caledonia

Sorry, I didn't see that you had asked a question, barbc56! No, I wasn't able to find out the doctor's name who attended my mother. I am going to try to get my other sister to talk to my estranged sister and see if she can learn anything. My estranged sister is the only one who would have this information. An employee at the Health Department told me that the simplest route would be to obtain the attending doctor's name, then give this to my doctor so that they can communicate directly.

As for the endocrinologist, I went to her with high hopes, but got them dashed after my follow up visit yesterday. After she had read the notes from the biopsy, she informed me that there were no malignant cells, which I was glad to hear! But when I asked about thyroid treatment, she said that since my complaints were subjective and my lab results didn't show any problems, that she would merely order more blood work in a few months time, and another Ultrasound of my thyroid, next year. When I outlined my hypothyroid symptoms, she simply admonished me about reading too much online material and refused to at least validate my concerns.

Here I sit, with a swollen thyroid, thinning hair, drying skin and worsened difficulty swallowing, and her answers where that I was aging and that probably my Acid Reflux was causing difficulty swallowing! I suppose I was aging back in my thirties and forties, for that is how long these symptoms have been progressing! I am feeling very invalidated and frustrated right now. :(:meh:

I guess that's better than saying take your thyroid out.

My suggestion would be to find a functional medicine doctor. You can look for one in your area here: https://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117

Functional medicine is the practice of getting to the root of what is causing medical issues, instead going straight to drugs or surgery (although if they're an MD they can do that too.)

I was lucky enough to find one nearby who also takes insurance and is a GP, so she is my general practitioner now.

Mine checks my thyroid with the complete thyroid panel, and is also versed in what kind of supplements or nutrition is good for the thyroid.

caledonia

Is a functional doctor like a Naturopath?

I guess you could say they're similar in that they look at the body as a whole and try to get to the root of the problem utilizing nutrition, supplements, etc.

A naturopath would have a degree from a naturopathic college. They may or may not have a medical degree beyond that, and can't prescribe medicines. A lot of times they'll pair up with a physician to get tests ordered, but the physician doesn't do anything beyond that.

A functional medicine practitioner has completed courses from the Institute for Functional Medicine. As far as I can tell they will have also have a medical degree such as MD, DO, or DC.

belize44

That sounds like a good plan B. I used to see a Naturopath years ago, who is now listed as an internist. Since I am already familiar with him, I may be planning to see him next. But if he doesn't work out, I will next investigate Functional doctors. Thank you!