• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Baicalin - sleep, antiviral, neuropathic pain but dependence?

JES

It might well be that the GABA effects of Skullcap/Baicalein create some tolerance to the supplement. I think it mainly works for me as a general anti-inflammatory and antiviral, which helps my brain feeling less toxic and thus improves sleep as well (those effects have yet shown no signs of creating dependency for me). I think this herb has multiple interesting ways of acting, which is what science suggests as well. If it would be just about enhancing GABA I wouldn't bother taking it.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Anything with multiple benefits is good by me but for me, the sleep aspect right now is what I'm looking for. There is a difference, if I'm reading this correctly, between Baicalein and Baicalin (see my first post for the link with all the info.

"Baicalein appears to be a GABAA receptor agonist, with the glycoside (Baicalin) having no such effect.[40] Its potency is greater than that of Chrysin[40] and it has a Ki value of 5.69+/-0.95µM[41] (IC50 of 10.1+/-1.68μM[12]). The glycoside, baicalin, has a weaker Ki value at 77.10+/-4.79µM and IC50 above 100μM.[41]Interestingly, baicalein may only significantly influence GABAA receptors with α2 and α3 subunits[42][43] which can explain anxiolytic properties and the lack of sedative properties."

Dependency is not the same thing as tolerance. I'm not worried about dependence. Tolerance is another issue.

"Tolerance refers to a physiological state where the effectiveness of a drug has decreased due to chronic administration. This means that more of the drug will be required to achieve the same effect in the future"

"Physical dependence refers to how the body experiences physiological adaptation in response to chronic use of a drug"

http://alcoholrehab.com/addiction-articles/addiction-dependence-and-tolerance/

Hip

Baicalein appears to be a GABAA receptor agonist, with the glycoside (Baicalin) having no such effect

According to Wikipedia, baicalin may be GABA receptor agonist, and/or may act like a benzodiazepine drug (benzodiazepines sensitize the GABA receptor, so that this receptor then responds more strongly to the GABA neurotransmitter). In either case, baicalin is going to have a calming, relaxing effect through its GABA effects.

Tolerance may be an issue though, as is often the problem with drugs or supplements that work through GABA.

If you want a good relaxing herb that acts via the GABA system but does not have any tolerance / withdrawal issues, then kava kava root 300 mg daily is the one.

As an antiviral, baicalin may be quite strong. Baicalin and chlorogenic acid (found in coffee) are the main two antiviral ingredients in the Chinese formula Shuang Huang Lian, and this formula has been shown to have similar antiviral efficacy for coxsackievirus B and echovirus as the potent antiviral drug ribavirin. 1