• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I'm not employed, but please recognise that I am an academic (ME/CFS, in Guardian)

Simon

I'm not employed – but please recognise that I am an academic | Higher Education Network | The Guardian

Sadly anonymous, but a fascinating piece from an academic who got mecfs
Last week I submitted a paper to a top journal in my field. I have another two in the pipeline, a request from an editor to referee an article and a conference talk to prepare. So far, this probably sounds like the typical life of an academic.

But I’m not employed as an academic. Actually I’m not employed at all. I have a chronic illness that has left me almost completely housebound. So am I still an academic?

Until a few years ago, my status was undisputed. I held a fellowship position which would have led to a much coveted permanent academic position. After years of short-term post-docs I had, finally, made it.

Then overnight, my world collapsed. A relapse of severe ME left me housebound. I lost my job and my income, my independence and my social life – but probably the worst loss of all was of my identity as a science academic.

...Yet, to my great surprise, I’ve been doing research again. It hasn’t been easy, but I’m now an academic who is not an academic – and it turns out that I’m not alone.

read the full article

Last edited: