• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Easy to make liposomal vitamin C - for viruses

Mary

Moderator Resource
I'm gonna try to reblend this one.... btw, how do you ingest this stuff?

I just drink it by the tablespoon. You'll have to figure out how much you want to take - I calculated there's around 475 mg. vitamin C per tablespoon, but it's supposed to more effective than 500 mg. in un-liposomal form.

sregan

I just tried again. Used warmer water this time and spent more time stirring and disposing the lecithin prior to mixing. Then did a full three minutes with the immersion blender. The blender adds a lot of air to the mix and make the entire mix rise up. It's been in the fridge for two hours and it's not separating so far

Mary

Moderator Resource
I just tried again. Used warmer water this time and spent more time stirring and disposing the lecithin prior to mixing. Then did a full three minutes with the immersion blender. The blender adds a lot of air to the mix and make the entire mix rise up. It's been in the fridge for two hours and it's not separating so far

Glad to hear it! :nerd:

sregan

I just took some, not a taste treat for sure! But did notice some settling happening. It's like a thick brown mucus type sludge. I mixed it back in with the rest. It shouldn't matter as long as the C is getting bound to the fat (lecithin).

sregan

So I'm still getting separation but not as bas as the first time. I stir it up before I grab a tablespoon full. Wondering if even hotter water might help dissolved the lecithin into the water. Note that I'm using Sunflower Lecithin and not Soy. I wish I could get a temperature reading of how hot I need to have it. wonder if a meat thermometer might do the trick?

Mary

Moderator Resource
So I'm still getting separation but not as bas as the first time. I stir it up before I grab a tablespoon full. Wondering if even hotter water might help dissolved the lecithin into the water. Note that I'm using Sunflower Lecithin and not Soy. I wish I could get a temperature reading of how hot I need to have it. wonder if a meat thermometer might do the trick?

I'm not sure what to tell you. I've read that if the water is too hot, it's not good, but I forget what happens - I just get the water warmish hot, but not so hot that I can't put my finger in it. It's possible that the sunflower lecithin makes a difference in how this turns out. I use non-GMO soy lecithin. I know, soy's not good, but I seem to need the lipo C so am sticking with it.

I think the fact that you're still getting separation means you're not really making liposomal vitamin C, but are just mixing the C and lecithin together (but I could be wrong!)

So are you holding the blender upright and letting it sit on the bottom of your container and not moving it while blending so you don't get stuff spewing all over?

sregan

So are you holding the blender upright and letting it sit on the bottom of your container and not moving it while blending so you don't get stuff spewing all over?

Maybe due to the sunflower. I'll check the web for others using it... And yeah I did keep the blender on the bottom. Thanks

Mary

Moderator Resource

So it sounds like your problem may be the sunflower lecithin. I did the sodium bicarb test on my solution, and it tested pretty good, over 75% encapsulation. Here are the directions I used for the sodium bicarb test:

Brooks Bradley's simple test to gauge LET efficiency of a liposomal Vitamin C solution:
1) Pour 4 ounces of the finished LET Vitamin C into a 12oz container.
2) Add 1/4 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate into 1 oz of distilled water, stirring well.
3) Pour the sodium bicarbonate solution into the LET Vitamin C mixture, stirring.
Results: If the resulting foam reaction line from this mixture is .5" or less you will have approximately a 50% encapsulation rate of the raw ascorbic acid nanoparticles. If the foam is 3/8" or less you will have approximately 60% encapsulation. If the foam is 1/8" thick or less, you will have around 75% encapsulation.
Foam occurs when the unencapsulated Vit C reacts with the sodium bicarbonate which is added to produce sodium ascorbate. The liposome encapsulated Vit C will not react. Thus, the less foam, the more Vit C is encapsulated and the more efficient went your process. By the way, this test solution should not be discarded as it is still valuable as a medicinal! The formed sodium ascorbate is a very useable form of Vitamin C.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I tried it with sunflower lecithin and didn't get any separation. I also let the blender sit on the bottom of the mixing container while blending.

While looking into liposomal methods I found the following comment giving the reason for using distilled water: "Don't use ordinary tap/filtered water, encapsulated chlorine and fluoride would be very undesirable."

sregan

I was taking mine for about a week just a teaspoon in the AM and was getting sick from it. Was feeling bad and getting an IBS type of watery discharge. I stopped taking for a week and feeling much better. Took one teaspoon yesterday and same watery discharge (which I read may be biofilm). I'm not sure if it's because of the acidity of the vitamin C mixture or that it's kicking some serious butt inside my body. I'm hoping the latter and would like to start back with a smaller dose.

Trying to figure out how much is in one of my teaspoons using the math by @Mary :

My Vitamin C

1 teaspoon vitamin C powder = 5,000mg
1 tablespoon of vitamin C = 15,000mg

Assuming you used 1 cup of water for the lecithin and 1/2 cup of water for the vitamin C crystals, then there will be a total of 28 tablespoons of product in your solution (16 tablespoons of water in a cup, 8 tablespoons in 1/2 cup, plus 3 tablespoons of lecithin and 1 tablespoon of vitamin C = 28 tablespoons.)

15,000 mg. divided by 28 tablespoons = 536 mg. of vitamin C per tablespoon (179 per teaspoon) in the solution.

The number should be slightly off since the solid matter dissolves. It should be just a little smaller making the solution a tad bit stronger. See this link

sregan

Trying to find out how much liposomal compares in absorption and effective dose as the other forms:

From click here:
"Reports say that 6 g of oral liposomally-carried vitamin C is equal in delivering vitamin C inside cells, where it does its work, to 50 grams of intravenous vitamin C."

"A loading dose, for several months, of liposomal vitamin C is likely 2,000 mg three times a day, maintenance , 1,000 mg twice daily, increasing doses and amounts when needed."

this link also gives the recipe and mentions the following:

"Dissolve the lecithin in 1 cup (240cc) of warm or cold water, preferably distilled. Let it soak for a couple of hours or so. It doesn’t have to clump, so using warm water is preferable (not hot!)."

From click here:
"For an individual with no major symptoms or diagnosis that wants good general health: 1-2 grams is optimal. Simply take 1,000 mg, 1-2 x daily

"Extreme athlete or individual with major health challenges: 4-6 grams is optimal. Simply take 2,000 mg, 2-3x daily

"In cases of ‘extreme’ disease – like late stage infections, cancer or heart disease: 8-12 grams is optimal. Simply take 4,000 mg, 2-3 x daily"

Now this guy seems to think the method we use doesn't make any liposomes? click here
"All I can say is that the simple ultrasonic treatment of lecithin and vitamin C does not make liposomes. I have reviewed the sophisticated testing of two different such preparations. Both of them: zero liposomes.

However, the ultrasonic treatment does results in a legitimate emulsion, which is absorbed much better than just regular vitamin C. However, that is just absorption into the blood, not enhanced uptake inside the cells, as with liposomes.

So, such a preparation can certainly help the sick patient, and probably more effectively than just regular vitamin C can help.

It is important to realize, however, that the critically ill patient who continues to worsen while taking a homemade preparation has not yet had the benefit of liposome enhanced vitamin C uptake into cells, only the self-imposed illusion/delusion of that benefit. The enhanced intracellular uptake of the vitamin C, a critical unique aspect of a good liposome supplement, never occurs with the homemade preparation.

A couple of case histories in this forum thread here
I can say that Vitamin C IV works! In 1998, I was diagnosed with CLL - Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia -- and was told there was nothing to be done -- except to watch the white blood cells and then have chemotherapy when they got too high...

Hi I notice that many people are using the IV SA (Vitamin C) 50 grams twice a week. This dose did not work for me. My tumour marker increased in fact, it doubled in three weeks and another tumour started to protude through my abdominal wall. I increased my dose to 100 grams daily then 125grams every third day. I started the IV SA the first week of July 2006 and by mid October 2006 my scan was completely clear. One tumour on the pelvic wall had disappeared and substantial tumours on the colon had vanished but the small tumour on my abdominal wall is still here but it has almost gone. My husband is a doctor and we decided to increase to 200grams daily....

And from the same site this thread seems to have some excellent info
I disagree with this statement. Whilst IV is a far better method and the fact that only 19-20% taken orally hits the blood stream, don't disillusion people from taken Vitamin C powder orally to correct serious diseases.

(Frederick) Klenner stated that 25 - 35 grams per day will control myeloid leukaemia and gives examples of cures. Abram Hoffer MD has amazing results with oral vitamin c combined with selenium and niacin (B3). I used Hoffer's protocol to rid myself of the worst of the worst leukaemia's - myelofibrosis. This is 100% fatal (except in my case).

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Now this guy seems to think the method we use doesn't make any liposomes?

I think Brooks Bradley would disagree. He tested different ultrasonic systems and power rates (including a common home jewelry cleaner that is used by DIYers) and then used a scanning electron microscope to examine the liposomes that resulted. He found that:
By extending your exposure time using shallow solutions, do-it-yourselfers can in many cases actually challenge the levels accomplished by these very high dollar commercial machines using their own do-it-yourself homemade systems.

One thing to keep in mind from the document I linked is that using a blender won't create high quality (small size, easily absorbed) liposomes. You need to add alcohol to create high quality liposomes with the blender method according to this site that discusses a patent for the method. Alcohol and CFS generally don't mix well.

From what I've read I think the ultrasonic method is still the best option. Due to this thread, and Brooks Bradley's information, I recently purchased an ultrasonic cleaner to make liposomal vitamin c and liposomal glutathione. I'll post my results once I make some and see what kind of effects it has on me.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Here is a PDF of posts by Brooks Bradley to a mailing list called the Silverlist with an interesting comment:
Actually, the sodium ascorbate form of vitamin C is greater than an order-of-magnitude more soluble for tissue incorporation than is the ascorbic acid form.

He also states that liposomal vitamin C is so much better absorbed that:
5 grams of the LET-type vitamin C (taken orally) did, indeed, yield results comparable to 50 grams of IV administered vitamin C.

He also notes that sometimes a meniscus layer can be found floating on top, or later sitting on the bottom of the mixture. It isn't really a problem (unless there is a lot of it); it's just unincorporated lecithin.

Last edited:

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
For the curious, I purchased this ultrasonic cleaner for making the liposomal mixtures. It has a 1.4 litre capacity, up to 480 seconds timer, 60 watts, and some industrial parts so that it can handle frequent use and longer run-times. Pouring liquid from it into a jar works fairly well without spilling, even though it has wide edges around the tank.

I just made my first batch of liposomal C using sodium ascorbate (Source Naturals.) Sodium ascorbate has milder taste and less acidity than ascorbic acid. Apparently it's also what is usually used in IV administration of vitamin c.

I've taken one teaspoon so far but haven't really noticed any effect. I think I'm getting 428mg of liposomal C in one tablespoon: 6T sunflower lecithin, 2T sodium ascorbate (4g of c per teaspoon) = 24grams in 2T, 48T water = 56T mixture. 24,000mg / 56T = 428mg.

Last edited:

ahmo

Update from any of you? Is the C helping for virus? Does blender, or stick blender work as well as ultrasonic? Any benefit to using camu camu over ascorbic acid? I'm ready to go. Thanks.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Liposomal C is a staple for me now. I take one to two tablespoons three times per day. It has helped my adrenals more than anything else I've tried.

I started with ascorbic acid but then read that IVs use sodium ascorbate, and that some people think it's not such a good idea to be encapsulating something acidic for delivery into the liver. Sodium ascorbate doesn't have the same acidity. I've also tried mixing in rose hip powder for a greater range of natural vitamin c but haven't noticed any difference in effect so far.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Update from any of you? Is the C helping for virus? Does blender, or stick blender work as well as ultrasonic? Any benefit to using camu camu over ascorbic acid? I'm ready to go. Thanks.

I've stopped making the lipo C because I didn't want to be bothered with it, one more thing to do with my limited energy. Now I just add ascorbic acid directly to water or juice. Having said this, I believe the liposomal product is better, and sometime (like everything else!) I hope to get back to making it.

We discussed stick blender vs. ultrasonic earlier in this thread. This link: http://www.racehorseherbal.com/Infections/LET/let.html describes a baking soda test which is supposed to indicate the amount of encapsulation obtained in a solution. Here's the test:

Brooks Bradley's simple test to gauge LET efficiency of a liposomal Vitamin C solution:
1) Pour 4 ounces of the finished LET Vitamin C into a 12oz container.
2) Add 1/4 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate into 1 oz of distilled water, stirring well.
3) Pour the sodium bicarbonate solution into the LET Vitamin C mixture, stirring.
Results: If the resulting foam reaction line from this mixture is .5" or less you will have approximately a 50% encapsulation rate of the raw ascorbic acid nanoparticles. If the foam is 3/8" or less you will have approximately 60% encapsulation. If the foam is 1/8" thick or less, you will have around 75% encapsulation.
Foam occurs when the unencapsulated Vit C reacts with the sodium bicarbonate which is added to produce sodium ascorbate. The liposome encapsulated Vit C will not react. Thus, the less foam, the more Vit C is encapsulated and the more efficient went your process. By the way, this test solution should not be discarded as it is still valuable as a medicinal! The formed sodium ascorbate is a very useable form of Vitamin C.

I used this test on the stick blender product I made, and it passed with flying colors. And the ultrasonic cleaner product took a lot more energy and time to make, plus it tasted like burnt rubber - it was horrible. I have been able to eat/drink a lot of awful stuff for this illness, but I found the ultrasonic product almost impossible to get down.

Re viruses - I'm also taking olive leaf extract regularly, and for something acute, I've found that an Echinacea/goldenseal combination product can be very effective.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I agree about the burnt rubber taste of liposomal ascorbic acid. The flavor is much milder with sodium ascorbate.