• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Jerk.

Fuzzyhead

Anyone had this before, my heads felt awful and off balance for a few weeks. This morning in bed my head did a big jerk by itself. I had lesions on my brain scan 2-3 yrs ago and I'm worried somethings going on in my brain again. I see the neurologist again on Monday.

That happens to me too, no idea why. I have lesions and worried about them until I had a 2nd MRI about 18months after the first and it showed no changes.
I just accept these weird jerks as one of the many odd symptoms we pwME have. Sorry to not be of any real help, but hope you're reassured you're not the only one.

No, I was told that it was normal to have one lesion per decade of life (due to bumps on head, I assumed) mine are more than double that, but not enough to be indicative of MS.
I did read some speculation that they are more common in people who've had bad reactions to childhood immunisations, people who have migraine and those with bipolar problems - but as far as I understand it, nobody knows for certain yet.

Fuzzyhead

I had 3 lesions and got tested for ms with a lumbar puncture and evoke potential test but both were negative. Been ill 14yrs and the previous 2 mri's were clear.

I had 3 lesions and got tested for ms with a lumbar puncture and evoke potential test but both were negative. Been ill 14yrs and the previous 2 mri's were clear.
Good luck with the appointment on Monday, I do hope your neurologist can help answer your questions. 14 years is a long time.

whodathunkit

Were you in that "twilight" stage of not quite awake/almost asleep? I jerk fairly frequently when I'm in that zone.

BTW, when I saw the subject line of your post I thought maybe it had something to do with the PACE trial researchers or something. ;)

Edited to add: i.e., what Skippa said:
Hypnogogic jerks?

Last edited:
That's more than likely what it was, nothing to worry about.
Just your monkey brain stopping you from falling out of your tree!

Skippa

Anti-BS
I get them fairly frequently, and they can be quite frightening, they take you to the brink of the panic response, although once you know what they are they can be subverted quite easily.

They pop up alongside more general fasciculations when I've forgotten to take a break from opiates.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Wikipedia has an article on Hypnic Jerks.
A hypnic jerk, hypnagogic jerk, sleep start, sleep twitch or night start, or jump, is an involuntary twitch which occurs just as a person is beginning to fall asleep, often causing them to awaken suddenly for a moment. Physically, hypnic jerks resemble the "jump" experienced by a person when startled, sometimes accompanied by a falling sensation. Hypnic jerks are associated with a rapid heartbeat, quickened breathing, sweat, and sometimes "a peculiar sensory feeling of 'shock' or 'falling into the void.'" A higher occurrence is reported in people with irregular sleep schedules.