• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Streptococcus overgrowth

Thanks for your reply. I live in the UK and I been trying to get bioscreen to test a stool sample since October. This week finally I managed to get a sample to them in 4 days so I'm really hoping they test it and I find out what type of strep I have. The test I have done is Dr kenny in Brussels test and does not show what kind of strep it is.

If bioscreen test what I sent then hopefully in a few weeks I will know what type of strep I have. But in the mean time no more vsl3 for me !

Hi Streppy
I think its a good idea to give the VSL3 a miss for the time being. . .
I also meant to add in previous post that Bifidobacteria is also lactic acid producing

Elph68

VSL3 – This is a popular probiotic that has been tested to ensure that the bacteria count in the final product is what the label states it is. However, it does contain S. thermophilus.

I did not know this I wonder if my strep levels are higher because I taken it
Hi Streppy,

I personally wouldn't do VSL3 .... some of those bacteria are D-lactate producers.

they also add to strep biofilms and make the whole game worse ....

cheers.

renski

@Streppy, Lactobacillus GG is one my doc has prescribed for strep, so try that? Assuming you have no Lactobacillus. And there is the soil based probiotics and Saccharomyces boulardii.

Thanks , I finding the thread really supportive. It seems like there are not many Drs that know how to treat this

I have started at long last to feel some improvement. I been taking clarithromycin 3 times a day and vanocyin( spelt wrong sorry ) pharma assist , metaphor ( good E. coli ) vitamins interfase plus. For the first time in years cars are not floating past in a weird way like there streaming, and I have more energy.

I'm aware I'm going to totally kill all my good bacteria soon!
I will start lactobacillus GG soon. I have found gut pro and a Non d lactate probtiic from custom probiotics . I guess I have to start on these soon. But for the moment I just enjoying the clearing of my syptoms.
I'm a little scared because I have been told your not meant to have any bacteria in the first part of your small intestine but there not really any way of getting these good guys in without swollening them. If we where just to put them up our bum for example they probably would not get all the way up to where needed.
My last test result from Brussels was still really bad 85 when should be below 5 for strep. This could be because of the probiotic having strep thermos in it. I'm still waiting for a bioscreen result to tell me the kind of strep that causing the problem for me.

Pharma assist is so good I was scared of it , but I have been consipited for years and feel so much better on it.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    605.5 KB · Views: 32
Just interested in kefir I know you been using it elph. And I am wondering now you got rid of your streptococcus maybe it's ok to have d lactate producing bacteria? Any maybe once rid we should all be putting the l acidosis back in?? Anyway I googled the bacteria in kefir and it does seem to contain streptococcus thermophilus and l acidophilus there the link http://www.culturesforhealth.com/milk-kefir-grains-composition-bacteria-yeast

Anyway like I said I don't know the answers some days I feel more like a chicken who head been cut off running round trying to find a new head to stick back on before I die!

All I know Is I feel better at the moment and I'm so greatful for this forum

Just interested in kefir I know you been using it elph. And I am wondering now you got rid of your streptococcus maybe it's ok to have d lactate producing bacteria? Any maybe once rid we should all be putting the l acidosis back in?? Anyway I googled the bacteria in kefir and it does seem to contain streptococcus thermophilus and l acidophilus there the link http://www.culturesforhealth.com/milk-kefir-grains-composition-bacteria-yeast

Anyway like I said I don't know the answers some days I feel more like a chicken who head been cut off running round trying to find a new head to stick back on before I die!

All I know Is I feel better at the moment and I'm so greatful for this forum

@Streppy I just started Ampicillin + Erythromycin yesterday. Glad to hear you seem to be beating this. I'm having some wicked die off. Did you experience anything like that at first?

I'm repopulating with Align, Mutaflor, soil based probiotics and lactobacillus GG.

Noelle

Hi I looked at Align before but it has sugar or sucrose in the ingredients which I can't tolerate. It makes me hurt in my glands. This really is the problem I am trying to get rid of.i can't tolerate carbs sugar or starch . One thing to consider is making yogurt with it, then the sucrose could be eaten up over night ? I tried that before with another probiotic . For example you could only put a small about of it in a yogurt pot it should them grow over night so you have lots of the good bacteria and not do much of the sugar ., if it's the sort of bacteria that likes growing in yogurt .

Yes when I started lots of die off. Dr kenny thinks that you need to kill off only grain positive bacteria and keep alive the grain negetive, So your trying to kill the bacteria that produce the d lactate acid

That's why I took these antibiotics in the end because vancomycin only kills grain postive and he said clarithmycin was also not broad spectrum. Then he wants me to take the ecoli which is grain negetive.
I also asked if I could taken the soil probtiic and he felt it would not cause a problem .

I feel slightly thrown because I get got back my bioscreen test yesterday and it says no strep! I'm waiting for my next test back from Brussels Cos the last one said high strep but the Brussels test only says strep in general and this could have been just the probiotic streptococcus thermos. I know that elph still had symptoms when the strep test came back negetive from bioscreen . It difficult now for me to know if I should just keep going on the antibiotics which have given me improvement for move on to the natural killers like elph . I looked up all elph supplements and I agree there all good. There is a possibility that I still have strep but posting my Poo from uk to oz it took 4 days and maybe the strep died before it got to the lab.

Also I'm going to Georgia next week!!! Yes it's phage time! This is because for over a year the Brussels test was coming back high levels of strep at 85 is really badly high. They say they did manage in Geogia to find pathogen strep in my sample which has from the same Poo as the bioscreen Poo! and not just strep thermos sent three weeks ago and have made a phage to kill it. I am confused now the bioscreen test is negetive I know bioscreen a brilliant test. Anyway taking a phage that kills strep won't cos me a problems . so I think I'm still going to do it. I just don't know if I should start repopulating the lacto and bifio bacteria. Maybe I should try the kefir as elph has improved with this.

Last edited:
I take lacto GG every now and again ... makes me feel totally stressed out and the align has sugar in it so i would not take that one.

i am making progress with the soil based probitic and good e coli with the two antibotics, head is clearing.

this week im in geogia with the phage center. they want me to take normal probiotics because they dont like how low my lacto and bifo bacteria are. I think i should just do what they want for the next 10 days, and take the phages. i am a bit worried because the prebiotics contain FOS and i know this also makes things worse, but there no point in coming here and not doing what they want. so just going on with it for these 10 days.

renski

@Streppy and anyone who might be interested, I've shelved the Align and lacto GG. They are making me worse.
@Noellea77

Hmm, lactobacillus GG made things worse for me as well, but then when I used it a few weeks later it didn't have the same effect. You could also try a smaller dose. I don't know if it's because of too much lactic acid or if die off. It maybe that you need to do the antibiotics first then add in the probiotics? It's something I've been wondering..

You could try other probiotics, the naturopath I was seeing had me taking Procyan, even though it has lactic acid producing bacteria she said it was a low dose. I was able to tolerate Procyan but it added to my over stimulation in the evenings. I have other issues going on with my adrenals/liver.. so it is complicated. I wouldn't recommend attempting to treat the gut without someone who has some idea.

@renski That does look interesting. Seems like just want we need, almost too good to be true.

The thing with probiotics with me is that I had high l-lactate and d-lactate on my organic acids test so it makes sense that I wouldn't tolerate either. I've tried Mutaflor but it doesn't make me feel quite right. SBO's are okay but I get quite a bit of die off with them but no improvement afterward. I think I have an overgrowth of everything, good and bad. Adding to the overgrowth before spending quite a bit of time killing stuff off isn't great for me but everyone's different.

I'm not seeing much improvement after two weeks on Ampicillin and Erythromycin. The first week was pretty good and I was very hopeful but I backslid the second week. Trying to decide if I should finish the month or quit now.