• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Commonly available natural antivirals -- any besides garlic/coconut oil?

JAM

Jill
My naturopath had me taking Monolaurin and Maitake Mushroom as natural anti virals. Have also taken oil of oregano in the past. I was advised against OLE (in my case) that it would lower my BP too much.
From what I have read in studies, and my own experience, OLE regulates blood pressure, not necessarily just lower it. Mine has always been very low, but is almost in to the normal range after 6 months of OLE. It may be worth another look.

JAM

Jill
I meant it made me feel so bad, I don't think it was a herx I think it just killed too many bacteria in one hit and the toxins were too much for my body to cope with. I didn't try it again so who knows? I love garlic, not sure it loves me but I do try to eat it regularly.
That is the definition of a herx. You may want to revisit it. I wrote a blog on OLE and in the list of links there is one about herx. It may be a helpful read for you. Good luck!

@dan062

Hi Dan,
I just got a recommendation today from a doctor, experienced in Lyme and co-infection treatments, to read books about antiviral herbs and treatment by Stephen Buhner.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=stephen buhner

Best
Helen

We are using Buhner's antiviral protocol for EBV and we are having great results so far (6 months in). I bought bulk powdered herbs so I can make my own capsules, and the cut and sifter herbs to make my own tinctures. This is saving me an a lot of money. My 12 year olds HHV-6 numbers dropped in half, and her coxsackie A IGM titers went from 1:160 to negative. Her EBV was so high, it is still not below 600, but her behaviours and energy level show she is improving greatly.

I cannot praise this protocol enough. We are pulsing isatis, licorice, lomotium and will be adding ginger tincture soon. The rest the protocol we are using every day.

Gingergrrl

@Slicky I am always so glad to hear about your daughter's improvements on the protocol that you are using. Has she continued to take the Lomatium this whole time, but now with a pulsing schedule?

@Slicky I am always so glad to hear about your daughter's improvements on the protocol that you are using. Has she continued to take the Lomatium this whole time, but now with a pulsing schedule?

I used the lomotium steadily for a few months, then decided to pulse it. I worry about her liver. I am giving the licorice and lomotium in the same month, and the isatis in next month.

She asks me now every day if we can go outside to walk around, play or help daddy work (depending on if daddy is home or not) :D. She has a lot more energy and her mood is really good most the time now.

I just added topical magnesium chloride into the mix since she has a tremor and it may help to detox a bit. I am taking it too, and it is helping my headaches quite a bit so far :). I won't be tinkering with her meds any more until next year because I want her to stay stable for the holidays, and as everyone here knows, any changes come with a risk of backwards motion.

How are you doing these days?