• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prostate Pain and Methyl Cycle

@liverock My Diet everyday
Oatmeal with cooked apples for breakfast. No sugar no nothing
Pinto's brown rice and cooked squash and zucchini for lunch
Black eyed peas broccoli or green beans and sweet potato for supper.
Every three days or so I will have a serving of organic cooked chicken.
I have olive oil on beans and chicken for added fat. This is all fresh from store and cooked at home. No gluten no dairy.

Don't know what b12 and folic acid levels are. I believe b 12 was normal range last time we checked but from what I understand about CFS it doesn't really matter anyways bc our body can't access and use what's in our blood. My doc and I are moving forward with FMT as well.

liverock

The reason I asked about folic acid is any not used in methylation can cause increased glutamate. This also happens in SIBO (which self generates its own internal folic acid which eventually can turn into glutamate as well). As you appear to be low on methylation, high serum folic acid and any additional folic acid due to consuming flour based products, will increase glutamate as well.

Excess glutamate can cause lack of gut motility, as well as bloating and inflammation due to increased TNF(a) if there is a shortage of GABA.

In short, GABA is required to relax muscles and to reset posture by making a normal wave of motion when walking, running or swimming. GABA also stimulates the enteric muscles for intestinal peristalsis and feces elimination. In a GABA deficiency, the intestines fail to contract properly and the gut becomes bloated with food.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/036778_gaba_brain_health_nervous_system.html#ixzz3ItBxbJhq

Your diet will help with reducing glutamate absorption but you might like to try a 500mg GABA/day supplement for a week or two to see if it helps move things along.

ETA It might help if you posted your snps in your signature. CBS mutations can also influence Glutamate/GABA ratio.

@Soccermanjb
It might be more prudent to start with a half tablet of GABA and titrate up as your bloating is abnormal.

Sigh... @liverock I wish I could just talk with you on the phone about it... Anything like gaba is bad for me... When I took it didn't make make me more relaxed UNTIL I took potassium chloride tablets or sodium chloride.. Then I was extremely sedated like I was barely awake and in a dream world. The effect I get is like I can feel the huge drop off from the relaxation and then I need to take more or I start feeling like withdrawal type feelings. It really is like my potassium stores are extremely limited.

Gaba uses potassium channels and our electrolytes play a huge role in gaba. Also I started peeing like every 45 min... Even during the night. It's like my body is just struggling so bad with keeping potassium and sodium in it. There was some crazy stuff going on... I tried to do by the book what Yasko says. I got my SNPs tested thru her.

Even just now to show you how weird my body is. I'm taking my amino acids and b vitamins at home today thru IV and started feeling a little anxious/wirey. (I take salt tablets for this coming reason bc when salt hits my tongue I get a relaxed heavy feeling.) So I took a small piece of salt and crunched it up on my tongue tasted it instead of just swallowing tablet whole and then drank water and I felt more relaxed... My body is so sensitive to these electrolytes. But if I constantly taste sodium chloride tablets like that I react like an allergy to it but also get this heavy sedated arms feel like lead feeling. But what's crazy is that when I get saline IVs I don't get this same allergy or heavy type affect only when I TASTE the salt.

That's what antidepressants do to me to and why I can't be on them... Xanax was horrible for me like the half life was so short to where it just seemed like the electrolytes that run things in the background weren't there.

I definitely agree that I prob have high glutamate/low gaba but am unable to just pop a gaba pill or antidepressant to help it bc of electrolyte issues/imbalances leading to frequent urrination, muscle tightness, weakness etc.

And so that points me back to the gut... My doc had prescribed xifaxan (which I was gonna take for sibo but am negative for) for antibiotic treatment before doing fecal transplants. I was surprised to see him Rx this one but glad too. Also glad my insurance is only charging me $30 too. I'm praying that God will use this treatment to get my healing headed in right direction...

I feel every little thing in my intestinal tract... I'm just so sensitive. My good bacteria was low in stool analysis so hopefully through FMTs my body can finally get the good bacteria it needs since I can't tolerate good doses of probiotics do to bloating...

Lol see why I wanted to just say it over the phone? What do you think about all this weirdness? It makes me feel like I'm just an extreme case of CFS and this enigma that's worse off than other CFS patients... :(

Last edited:
@caledonia what would a treatment look like for me if I had ACE? My bp tends to stay low until I take more than one gram of salt then it shoots up above 135/90 which feels very uncomfortable to me.

Would you mind providing the SNP test or another one that tests for ACE? Does 23&me test for it?

Last edited:

caledonia

@caledonia what would a treatment look like for me if I had ACE? My bp tends to stay low until I take more than one gram of salt then it shoots up above 135/90 which feels very uncomfortable to me.

Would you mind providing the SNP test or another one that tests for ACE? Does 23&me test for it?

It can be pulled from 23andme results. You can look it up on there via the rs number: ACE Del16 rs1799754 (rs4343) risk allele D (G).

Or if you use Firefox and install the SNPtips app, it will pick up the rs numbers I just posted and give your results right on this page.

Or you can run your report through Sterling's App at MTHFRsupport.com and it will show up on there.

Ok Thx @caledonia . I did my testing thru Yasko and she doesn't test ACE, so I might do 23&me as part of my Christmas present...o_O

I looked on heartfixer and they said there may not be much pharmaceutically that can be done if you have ACE mutation and struggle with bp or fluid control... I have to be on desmopressin bc of low bp when standing/walking. So I'm on antidiuretic but the treatment would be a diuretic for ACE...

Wonder if I'm the person with both issues?...

caledonia

Ok Thx @caledonia . I did my testing thru Yasko and she doesn't test ACE, so I might do 23&me as part of my Christmas present...o_O

I looked on heartfixer and they said there may not be much pharmaceutically that can be done if you have ACE mutation and struggle with bp or fluid control... I have to be on desmopressin bc of low bp when standing/walking. So I'm on antidiuretic but the treatment would be a diuretic for ACE...

Wonder if I'm the person with both issues?...

I've haven't researched this much, but for people with the ACE deletion are sensitive to salt, and those are the people that do well with a low salt diet for high blood pressure.

The other thing that is coming to mind is adrenal fatigue. If you have that (many of us do) then you'll be leaking out electrolytes like crazy. So maybe this is tied into the low bp and why the antidiuretic is helpful. In that case, supplementing with all electrolytes like magnesium, potassium etc. should be helpful. Sodium is another electrolyte, but of course you would want to be careful of that one due to the high BP. Work with your doc, as I don't know how the supplementation would affect your med.

You can do a 24 hour (4 point) adrenal saliva testing to ascertain what's going on with your adrenals, then go from there. Some people do ok with adrenal cortex supplements, DHEA and so forth. I could never tolerate those, so I just did electrolyte support. My adrenals seem to be recovering with methylation treatment (I haven't done official retesting yet, but I'm needing less magnesium and my sleep is getting better, all good signs).

liverock

S What do you think about all this weirdness? It makes me feel like I'm just an extreme case of CFS and this enigma that's worse off than other CFS patients... :(

Now that you have mentioned your symptoms and problems with salt it sounds like you have a condition called Hyponatremia where there is not enough sodium being produced which can be through lack of aldosterone an adrenal hormone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

With low sodium the kidneys lower urine output and increase water retention in an attempt to increase sodium. This is what is probably causing your stomach bloating.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/496207-does-a-sodium-deficiency-cause-bloating/

There are a lot of things that can cause Hyponatremia which needs checking out especially as you have dropped from 157 to 125lbs,this is also a symptom of Hyponatremia. It can also be a symptom of approaching Addison's disease and I would ask your doctor to get an adrenal hormone panel test done including an ACTH test if he hasn't already done so.

Last edited:

cigana

Are you in the US? Your symptoms sound like they could be consistent with enterovirus. Prostatitis that isn't relieved by antibiotics, functional dyspepsia, and IBS are all thought to be associated with persistent enterovirus infection.
Just wondering how you know this (as it seems to apply to me)? If you could provide any links that would be great.

halcyon

Just wondering how you know this (as it seems to apply to me)? If you could provide any links that would be great.
Dr. Chia talks about FD and IBS in this patent application. There doesn't seem to be much else in the way of research in that area surprisingly.

Regarding prostatitis, it's mentioned as a symptom on the Enterovirus Foundation website, which again I believe is mostly derived from Dr. Chia's clinical experience. I was only able to find one paper on Pubmed about it, but they found 8 out of 10 patients with prostatitis were seropositive for Coxsackie.

I'm a 27 year old male and have had CFS for over 3 years. Any and every time I've barely started up my methyl cycle I get increased urination, severe prostate pain, and increased leg pain and tightness. I would classify myself as severe CFS.

Anyone else have prostate symptoms like this?

Even if I add in extra oral potassium the symptoms don't let up until I stop protocol. And I even start my supplements really low and slow and it still happens in a few days.

Could it just be detox symptoms or maybe my amino acids are so low my body just can't support the work it's trying to do? My PCP is currently treating me with amino acids through IV treatment. Hoping to see good progress with that bc I haven't seen it with anything else. And that was one thing Rich said would keep people from improving on his protocol, the fact that their amino acids were low. I would love to hear from someone regarding prostate pain. Thx

Hi

I have been getting severe prostate pain now after about a week of having a few different potassium sports drinks.

Has yours cleared up? Its strange - and painful. I also had severe sciatica but the prostate prob is bad..

Rob