• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Histadelia / histamine, methyl donors, and diet

Hi All,

This post is regarding my life long struggle with what I believe is excess histamine production. I have always had the symptoms, hives (I used to get this with just stress), allergies, anxiety, inflammation, itchy skin (in dry weather this turns into rashes and my hands / feet peel, again I believe this is histamine release due to low moisture in the air), mild adult acne, although I control it to keep it mild (it can be triggered by high protein / histamine foods or sex), excess saliva, lean / fast digestion

I am also homozygous for MTRR A66G (GG) and VDR TAQ (AA) / heterozygous for COMT V158M and H26H; I recently started a methylation protocol to combat my MTRR, started with 1mg twice a day of mB12 for 4 weeks, then bumped up to once a day 5mg mB12 along with 800mcg mfolate. I also eat healthy and organic, no hydrogenated fats, whole grains, free range, greens etc.

I was hoping the mB12 would be the key to reduced histamine, but for the most part I still have the high histamine symptoms. From further reading I am thinking the methylation may only slightly help my high histamine and perhaps it is caused by something else, maybe DAO issues and the wrong bacteria / flora in my gut

I seem to be okay with yogurt and milk, but most cheeses, cottage cheese, canned tuna, tuna fish salad, whey protein isolate powders, canned salmon will trigger cystic like acne.

On to my questions:

1. Why did the mB12 and mFolate not reduce histamine symptoms, could this be due methylation not being the root cause in my case?

2. The 5mg mB12 makes me irritable and at times more anxious, could this be because my COMTs (i.e. my body has all the methyls it needs, and COMT will reduce my neurotransmitter breakdown)? Please elaborate on this, especially if you have experience with these SNPs or symptoms

3. Histadelics are supposed to be undermethylators, however I have anxiety and at times depressive / emotional episodes, overall am sensitive. My question is, how can one be an undermethylator and have anxiety? I believe folks like Dr Lynch say its should always be the opposite?

4. Can anxiety be triggered by excess dopamine and / or excess epinephrine / adrenaline? Perhaps I am an undermethylator but get anxiety for a different reason, maybe histamine driven?

Any support and feedback is much appreciated, please share your experiences as well!

Thanks

ahmo

I can't answer most of your questions. Don't get too identified with lists of over- and under-methylators as a label. There's in fact a lot of overlap in the symptoms, some things appear on both lists.

In Freddd's Protocol there are 2 other critical components, along w/ MB12 and Mfolate, in the so-called Deadlock Quartet: AdenoB12 and carnitine, most often L Carnitine Fumarate. (LCF). There are links in my signature to several docs about this protocol.

My histamine problems were drastically reduced when I started activated B2 (FMN). I've recorded this in a blog, also linked in my signature.

picante

I seem to be okay with yogurt and milk, but most cheeses, cottage cheese, canned tuna, tuna fish salad, whey protein isolate powders, canned salmon will trigger cystic like acne.
Wow, it amazes me that you tolerate yogurt. I haven't tolerated yogurt or sour cream in many years. Vinegar inflates me like a balloon.

Whey protein isolate is loaded with free glutamic acid, so you may be reacting to that rather than histamine: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

Hi Peyt,

I've heard of a few different types of tests, is there any one that you recommend?

Hi Picante,

I've taken L glutamine at 10 grams a day without any issues besides having extra anxiety, I think the glutamine may have triggered some excitation but no additional acne from it.

picante

I've taken L glutamine at 10 grams a day without any issues besides having extra anxiety, I think the glutamine may have triggered some excitation but no additional acne from it.
I'm not sure why you think glutamine could trigger acne or any of the skin reactions that you attribute to histamine. Don't you take the glutamine as a remedy for high histamine? :confused:

However, it's no surprise that it might trigger more anxiety, since it can convert to glutamate in your brain. Start looking at all the glutamate-containing foods & supps. You may see that you don't tolerate any of them. http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

1. Why did the mB12 and mFolate not reduce histamine symptoms, could this be due methylation not being the root cause in my case?

I agree with @Peyt. Time to test your histamine levels. And if it is high, time to separate out the histamine symptoms from the glutamate symptoms.

upload_2016-2-2_12-12-51.png

FIGURE 1. Summary of histamine-mediated symptoms. Adapted with permission from Maintz L et al. Dtsch Artzebl 2006;103:A3477-83. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/5/1185.long#F2

I'm not sure why you think glutamine could trigger acne or any of the skin reactions that you attribute to histamine. Don't you take the glutamine as a remedy for high histamine?

Hi Picante, sorry if I was not clear, what I was trying to say is that glutamine, even in free form, never caused any digestive related issues (gas, acne, etc.), however it did make me feel 'wired' and figgity. even 10 - 15g did not affect my skin or histamine like conditions. I may have some sensitivities to glutamine (excitation related), but I am more concerned with the hives, adult acne, itching, allergies, headaches etc.

I will get the histamine testing done. I took the glutamine for a gut rebuilding program and also took it about a decade ago when I was heavy weight lifting

My histamine problems were drastically reduced when I started activated B2 (FMN). I've recorded this in a blog, also linked in my signature.

Hi ahmo, what made you take FMN (B2), not too much literature connecting it to histamine, how did you link the two? the extra methyls seem to make me extra figgity / with a lot more excitation

Sam7777

I recently started drinking homemade kefir. While it hasn't gotten rid of all my histamine issues, it is reducing most of the severity of my histamine and sulfur problems, and it is normalizing my bile flow and digestion.

BACTERIA STRAINS COMMON TO MILK KEFIR GRAINS
Lactobacillus acidophilus

Lactobacillus brevis

Lactobacillus casei

Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus

Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. delbrueckii

Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. lactis

Lactobacillus helveticus

Lactobacillus kefiranofaciens subsp. kefiranofaciens

Lactobacillus kefiri

Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei

Lactobacillus plantarum

Lactobacillus rhamnosus

Lactobacillus sake

Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris

Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis

Lactococcus lactis

Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris

Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. dextranicum

Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. mesenteroides

Pseudomonas

Pseudomonas fluorescens

Pseudomonas putida

Streptococcus thermophilus

YEAST STRAINS COMMON TO MILK KEFIR GRAINS

Candida humilis

Kazachstania unispora

Kazachstania exigua

Kluyveromyces siamensis

Kluyveromyces lactis

Kluyveromyces marxianus

Saccharomyces cerevisiae

Saccharomyces martiniae

Saccharomyces unisporus

roller

wiggle jiggle
i cant find that :(
how exactly would you recommend preparing the yoghurt?
do you need for every batch a starter?
what milk do you use?

i would like to, but i cant get some yoghurt maker.
things have to be very simple.
milk is expensive here.

I recently started drinking homemade kefir. While it hasn't gotten rid of all my histamine issues, it is reducing most of the severity of my histamine and sulfur problems, and it is normalizing my bile flow and digestion.

I would advise to use cuation, as the wrong bacterial strain can worsen your histamine issues, please check out this link, within the comments section the anonymous poster provides some strains avoid:

http://doccarnahan.blogspot.com/2013/11/histamine-intolerance-could-this-be.html