• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LDN: Should I expect worse nighttime pain?

NilaJones

Hello everyone:)

I have some LDN and am getting ready to try it.

I have a lot of pain -- it limits me even more than fatigue does. But the biggest problem with the pain is when I try to sleep at night. It takes me hours to get comfortable. If I take LDN at bedtime, should I expect extra pain at night?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

NilaJones

I'm kind of scared because of reading posts where people say they feel extra sick for 5-7 days, and again each time they raise the dose. That's a hard thing to find time/energy for!

Might it happen from one dose, or only if I keep taking ldn?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
When I was at 1.5 I had a significant reduction in pain. It was amazing. Then I raised to 2 mgs and my pain was horrible. I reduced bacd down to 1.5 mgs and today is the best day I've had in awhile.

The thing that made the huge difference for me was when I took it. between 4 and 5:30 am seems to be the best time for me since I cannot take it at night. Also I don't remember you saying what dose you started on but I started at .5 mgs and others start really low. So your pain could be dose dependent.

I tried it a year ago and did not have near the results I'm having now. Mess with the dose and time and try to find your "sweet spot".

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'm kind of scared because of reading posts where people say they feel extra sick for 5-7 days, and again each time they raise the dose.
I can only share my experience but I think many others have had similar responses. Every time I raised the dose (including in this the very first dose), I had an immune response that wasn't comfortable. It wasn't pain for me though--just feeling worse. These responses lasted between 3 and 7 days. This happened until I got up to 3 mgs, but didn't happen after that when I raised the dose.
Might it happen from one dose, or only if I keep taking ldn?
It could happen from one dose as each time you increase it (and the first dose is an increase from 0 to whatever dose you try) you may get such a response. Some don't though. In the long run, though the 4 months it took to get up to dose was tedious to say the least, the long term benefits, for me, were really worth it and I'd do it again.

I've been taking 3mg LDN which I built up to over three months with some improvement in frequency of pain. I take it in the morning, but was advised yesterday to try it at night as it seems to work better that way. The dose is being upped to 4mg to see if it helps with fatigue.
The only side effects I've noticed are night sweats and some disturbing dreams. Best of outcomes to you.

I can only share my experience but I think many others have had similar responses. Every time I raised the dose (including in this the very first dose), I had an immune response that wasn't comfortable. It wasn't pain for me though--just feeling worse. These responses lasted between 3 and 7 days. This happened until I got up to 3 mgs, but didn't happen after that when I raised the dose.
It could happen from one dose as each time you increase it (and the first dose is an increase from 0 to whatever dose you try) you may get such a response. Some don't though. In the long run, though the 4 months it took to get up to dose was tedious to say the least, the long term benefits, for me, were really worth it and I'd do it again.
Sushi
Are you still taking it?
Thanks-

NilaJones

Thanks, @minkeygirl !

(My interface is being weird so I cannot like posts right now.)

It's funny how sometimes people try something and it doesn't help and then another year it does. I don't know what to make of that.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@NilaJones What changed everything for me is when I changed the time of my dose. It's supposed to before an endorphin rush. Mine must be before 8 a.m but after 4 a.m. Even today I'm sleep deprived and feel pretty bad but I imagine without the LDN it'd be much worse.

NilaJones

Oh @minkeygi rl , I did not know that about theendorphin rush! What made you think to try the wee hours of the morning?

panckage

Some people start right at the full dose and do fine. Everybody's different. The benefit of titration up though is you can see which dose works best, at least theoretically. I started at 1mg and went up in half mg steps all the way to 7.5mg. I haven't been able to figure what dose works the best though :p