• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme results are in... Can someone help interpreting?

hms

Hi,

I am a 36 y.o male who's had some issues with GAD / anxiety / panic attacks until I was 27 and started eating healthy and working out. Other than that, I consider myself healthy and I'm not aware of any other health issue. No CFS.

My 23andme results came back a few weeks ago. I am slowly catching up on MTHFR, etc. but the amount of information is a bit overwhelming and hard to understand at first.

I've been reading the forums here and there are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful people like @Valentijn and @caledonia that I was hoping could have a look at my results and give me their POV on how to start supplementing and detoxing...

Thanks so much in advance for all your help.

RS4680 COMT V158M +/- AG

RS4633 COMT H62H +/- CT

RS769224 COMT 61 -/- GG

RS731236 VDR Taq TT AA

RS2228570 VDR Fok FF GG

RS6323 MAO A R297R +/+ TT

RS3741049 ACAT 1-02 -/- GG

RS1801133 MTHFR C677T +/- AG

RS2066470 MTHFR 3 -/- GG

RS1801131 MTHFR A1298C +/- GT

RS1805087 MTR A2756G -/- AA

RS1801394 MTRR A66G -/- AA

RS162036 MTRR K350A -/- AA

RS1802059 MTRR 11 +/- AG

RS567754 BHMT 2 -/- CC

RS651852 BHMT 8 +/- CT

RS819147 AHCY 1 -/- TT

RS819171 AHCY 19 -/- TT

RS234706 CBS C699T -/- GG

RS1801181 CBS A360A +/- AG

---

ps Right now I'm taking cod liver oil, b12 methylcobalamin 600 mcg, methyl folate 1000 mcg, magnesium gycinate, and pterostilbene, daily. I also take s-acetyl glutathione or NAC when needed.

---

Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 4.32.24 PM.png

caledonia

Hi hms,

If you're healthy and not having issues with anxiety, there shouldn't be any need to embark on a methylation program. It can be just as bad to crank up methylation when you don't need to. Do you have a methylation panel or Nutreval test (interpreted with Richvank's interpretation) showing that you have methylation issues? Just because you have certain SNPs doesn't mean they're expressed.

Like everything, there is a sweet spot between too much and too little. Even too much water is bad for us.

On the other hand, it can be good to examine your SNPs and see what your genetic tendencies are to understand why you had the anxiety and hopefully prevent more of it in the future. (Although you already know the part about not eating junk.)

The SNPs on that basic panel which can cause mental health issues are MTHFR A1298C, COMT and MAO A and VDR taq.

If you get Sterling's App she also has a section for GAD which can cause generalized anxiety disorder. You should see all the reds on mine...I also have experience with anxiety and panic attacks.

If you have a lot of GADs, your anxiety is probably based on a backwards GABA to glutamate ratio. Functionally you should have more GABA than glutamate. GABA is calming, while glutamate is excitatory. A lot of processed food has added glutamate, because it's so darn tasty - that's the umami flavor which stimulates all taste buds.

So that could be why eating healthier helped.

As far as what you're taking now, you're taking more folate than B12, which can eventually lead to methyl trapping (not good). The B12 should be at least equal if not higher than the folate.

Might want to get your vitamin D tested and see if that's low. Supplement with D3 if it is. Vit D acts like a hormone and affects mood (low D can cause depression).

I have a lot more info in my signature link.

How do you know when you need NAC or glutathione? How do you know you have issues with detox or need to detox?

hms

wow thanks for the incredibly comprehensive reply @caledonia

to your points/questions:

-i didn't do the Nutreval test but will order one now, just to be sure

-thanks for pointing at Sterling app. i just did it and the GAD seem to be all green except the following two:
GAD1 C14541T T TT +/+
GAD1 C2627A A AA +/+

-re Sterling app, looks like I have a lot to go through! i'v added screenshots of the 'results'. are these specific to me, or are they general for everyone?

-i'll definitely balance the b12 with folate. should i stick to methyl b12 form, or should i add the other forms as well?

-i take glutathione when i travel (which is very often) and/or know i will have a few drinks.

i am extremely thankful for your help.

-H

Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.26.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.26.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.27.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.27.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.27.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.27.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.27.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.28.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.26.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.27.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.27.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.27.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.27.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.27.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.28.09 PM.png

caledonia

Those diagrams are just general pathway diagrams for everyone.

If those two GADs are the major ones that would explain anxiety. I'm not familiar enough with the GADs to say for sure though.

To interpret Sterlings App you need the SNPbit Compendium part 1. They're still working on part 2 which is expected to be out in March 2016.

http://www.amazon.com/SNPBit-Compendium-Overviews-Research-Drawings/dp/1517447275

Of course, you always have the option to consult with a methylation practitioner for help with your particular situation. I have two practitioner lists in my signature link. Cynthia Smith (on Sterlings list) was one of the researchers/writers of the Compendium.

Hi hms,

If you're healthy and not having issues with anxiety, there shouldn't be any need to embark on a methylation program. It can be just as bad to crank up methylation when you don't need to. Do you have a methylation panel or Nutreval test (interpreted with Richvank's interpretation) showing that you have methylation issues? Just because you have certain SNPs doesn't mean they're expressed.

Like everything, there is a sweet spot between too much and too little. Even too much water is bad for us.

On the other hand, it can be good to examine your SNPs and see what your genetic tendencies are to understand why you had the anxiety and hopefully prevent more of it in the future. (Although you already know the part about not eating junk.)

The SNPs on that basic panel which can cause mental health issues are MTHFR A1298C, COMT and MAO A and VDR taq.

If you get Sterling's App she also has a section for GAD which can cause generalized anxiety disorder. You should see all the reds on mine...I also have experience with anxiety and panic attacks.

If you have a lot of GADs, your anxiety is probably based on a backwards GABA to glutamate ratio. Functionally you should have more GABA than glutamate. GABA is calming, while glutamate is excitatory. A lot of processed food has added glutamate, because it's so darn tasty - that's the umami flavor which stimulates all taste buds.

So that could be why eating healthier helped.

As far as what you're taking now, you're taking more folate than B12, which can eventually lead to methyl trapping (not good). The B12 should be at least equal if not higher than the folate.

Might want to get your vitamin D tested and see if that's low. Supplement with D3 if it is. Vit D acts like a hormone and affects mood (low D can cause depression).

I have a lot more info in my signature link.

How do you know when you need NAC or glutathione? How do you know you have issues with detox or need to detox?
so.... you said that taking more folate than b12 can lead to methyl trapp, but i noticed that b12 put me in a weird state of conscious while folic acid (not the methyl folate in fact) gives me a really nice sensation, it makes me fell almost like before all the methylation issues.. a feeling of "normality"

so... if i stay on folic acid without b12 or with a minimun dose it will gives me problems for sure?
or shoulkd i listen to my body and the feelings? (i know that is dangerous lol )

anyway im taking like as low as 50micrograms of folic acid for the moment, and 100 micrograms of b12 when i did, and planning taking EOD ... because even as it mekes me fell great, it gives me euphoria, and i prefeeer to stay in low doses.
im taking also:

magnesium bisglicinate
TMG
zinc
vit c (not ascorbic)
maca
milk thistle (tried glutahione and gaves me awesome euphoria, not good due to excesss)
chromiun picolinate (to control sugar)

im also having a lot of othe issues and i suspect its all because metyhl failure (adrenal problems, sugar problems....)

anyone are taking only folic acid or folate without b12 and succesfullly?

im waiting for th 23and me results i still dont know the genetic results but i know im undermethylator.

if anyone is interested here we have 2 complet readings about the differences.

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/0...s-overmethylation-causes-symptoms-treatments/
http://www.enzymestuff.com/methylation.htm

caledonia

so.... you said that taking more folate than b12 can lead to methyl trapp, but i noticed that b12 put me in a weird state of conscious while folic acid (not the methyl folate in fact) gives me a really nice sensation, it makes me fell almost like before all the methylation issues.. a feeling of "normality"

so... if i stay on folic acid without b12 or with a minimun dose it will gives me problems for sure?
or shoulkd i listen to my body and the feelings? (i know that is dangerous lol )

anyway im taking like as low as 50micrograms of folic acid for the moment, and 100 micrograms of b12 when i did, and planning taking EOD ... because even as it mekes me fell great, it gives me euphoria, and i prefeeer to stay in low doses.
im taking also:

magnesium bisglicinate
TMG
zinc
vit c (not ascorbic)
maca
milk thistle (tried glutahione and gaves me awesome euphoria, not good due to excesss)
chromiun picolinate (to control sugar)

im also having a lot of othe issues and i suspect its all because metyhl failure (adrenal problems, sugar problems....)

anyone are taking only folic acid or folate without b12 and succesfullly?

im waiting for th 23and me results i still dont know the genetic results but i know im undermethylator.

if anyone is interested here we have 2 complet readings about the differences.

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/0...s-overmethylation-causes-symptoms-treatments/
http://www.enzymestuff.com/methylation.htm

The links you gave are for Pfeiffer/Walsh theories on methylation. These only apply to mental health.

If you have ME/CFS, then the Yasko/Heartfixer/Ben Lynch/Van Konynenburg/Freddd theories may work better.

Synthetic folic acid is not good for anybody. There is evidence unmetabolized folic acid can cause cancer. If you have MTHFR mutations, you're not able to convert the folic acid.

There are several reasons B12 can cause issues. The TMG may be contributing to it, as it supports the secondary methylation pathway. Folate and B12 are in the primary methylation pathway. In other words, you may be getting too many methyl groups by taking all 3 of those.

You can try switching to lecithin, which converts to TMG, but is less powerful, or not taking either TMG or lecithin and see if that helps the B12 situation.

I have a lot more tips in my document Roadblocks to Successful Methylation (see my signature link).

In your case, I think you're on the right track by keeping doses low.

The links you gave are for Pfeiffer/Walsh theories on methylation. These only apply to mental health.

If you have ME/CFS, then the Yasko/Heartfixer/Ben Lynch/Van Konynenburg/Freddd theories may work better.

Synthetic folic acid is not good for anybody. There is evidence unmetabolized folic acid can cause cancer. If you have MTHFR mutations, you're not able to convert the folic acid.

There are several reasons B12 can cause issues. The TMG may be contributing to it, as it supports the secondary methylation pathway. Folate and B12 are in the primary methylation pathway. In other words, you may be getting too many methyl groups by taking all 3 of those.

You can try switching to lecithin, which converts to TMG, but is less powerful, or not taking either TMG or lecithin and see if that helps the B12 situation.

I have a lot more tips in my document Roadblocks to Successful Methylation (see my signature link).

In your case, I think you're on the right track by keeping doses low.
tnx for your reply Caledonia,
i think i dont have CFS, or if i have maybe i dont remember how is the life before it... but my problem is more mental, and cognitive impairs, just bad feelings and altered behavior, wich is the most important for me, as well i have many physicall issies, like as adrenal problems, sleep disorder, persistent low blood pressure, bradycardia, ....
my biotype is ectomorph, wich is tall and thin and ultra fast methabolism , and could be a factor for take in mind..maybe i have methyl issues since i was a kid and didnt know,wich is normal...

i suspect maybe pyroluria can have some to say here as well... will try soon b6-zinc protocol.

as for the supps im taking, the TMG never gaves me a bad feeling, in fact i was taking the non HCL form, but ive changed to the HCL form with better feelings. i decided to use TMG for methyl donation, but also to decrease a slightly high homocysteine level wich ive seen in the first blood test, even when my doctor dont paid attention , that is a suspect for me, and using just inositol (i discontinued due to unpleasant feeling) as a methyl donnor the secoind blood test gaves me normal homocysteine levels, before to take TMG and the othe methyl donnors.
honestly im just taking b12 and folic acid this week, i ever wait a lot of time using a supp to see the real effect it makes in me...so i know TMG is good, no adbverse reactions, b12 alone ive used today with not enough good felling also not bad at all... 3 days back i was using folic acid with great feelings, i opted to use b12 today to see the differences, will use ir 2-3 days more and after that will take b12 and folic toguether to see....

but im really surprised about the improvement with folic acid, i ever thoug it would be bad and nasty, but the fact is taht ive enjoyed it... my fear is that this improvement has been due to the SSRI effect of folic acid instead a methylation help....

as for the MHTFR, ive ordered the 23and me test just to see, i suspect i have, but ..i was taking folic acid and ive converted succesfully, im extremelly sensible to supplements etc (maybe due to pyroluria caused by b6 deficiency wich i'll see soon) and i can say that im converting folic acid.

i love the dr.Lynch work.... im just reading all their stuff and its amazing.

as for the TMG + B12+FOLIC possible issue in lots of methyl... well.... dont know iw ill see soon...
im awaiting for a blood test for histamine, n.methyl-histamine (to see if im under or over methylator) zinc, copper , b6, kriptopyrrole, ceruloplasmine, dhea , pregnenolone and some more stuff to be more sure about tall my suspect.

i forgot to mention that i have abnormal low testosterone levels, and the LH is normal-low range when it should be fighting to produce more testo instead of stay in normal-low range...
i suspect all my issues (histamien intolerance, adrenal problems, hormones issues etc) are all by methylation .

tnx for your kind reply, any suggestion more would be much apreiated!
will chek your signature entry!

caledonia

@humankind14 in Walsh's work, with some mental health types, folic acid is good at first, but then it overproduces serotonin and then makes you worse. In those cases, he suggests SAMe or (not sure if I remember this correctly) methionine as a workaround.

Some of your issues may be interrelated, like adrenal issues and sleep issues.

Mercury toxicity can cause mental/mood issues and adrenal issues as well as pyroluria. Check out my links on Andrew Cutler's mercury chelation protocol.

It might be worthwhile finding a Walsh practitioner. The main one is Dr. Mensah in Chicago. He has outreach clinics a few times a year in other locations. I don't know if they would work by phone and email without seeing you personally or not.

What form and type of B12 are you taking? Cyanocobalamin, hydroxycobalamin, methylcobalamin, oral, sublingual or injection?

@humankind14 in Walsh's work, with some mental health types, folic acid is good at first, but then it overproduces serotonin and then makes you worse. In those cases, he suggests SAMe or (not sure if I remember this correctly) methionine as a workaround.

Some of your issues may be interrelated, like adrenal issues and sleep issues.

Mercury toxicity can cause mental/mood issues and adrenal issues as well as pyroluria. Check out my links on Andrew Cutler's mercury chelation protocol.

It might be worthwhile finding a Walsh practitioner. The main one is Dr. Mensah in Chicago. He has outreach clinics a few times a year in other locations. I don't know if they would work by phone and email without seeing you personally or not.

What form and type of B12 are you taking? Cyanocobalamin, hydroxycobalamin, methylcobalamin, oral, sublingual or injection?
that is my fear about folic acid... but also it may not happens with me...i have to see by myself... anyway im using with a lot of caution and EOD to avoid that....
im just giving a small touch here and there to see how it works, as well since i have extremme sensitivity to supps i have to do it....
im folllowing that protocol untill i receive my 23andme results and blood test results, i dont want to mask the results in blood taking a lot of things.

i have SAM-e here to test it, but i have to go step by step... if that paradox felling happens with folic acid, what should i expect about extra-serotonin?

as for the b12 im taking cyano in tablets form.... just what i found easily in the pharmacy, if i see improvement i can look for methyl form , same as with folic acid.

as for the mercury, well might be but i dont have a suspect episode in my life to thing i could be intoxicated, no tooth amalgam etc...

about dr.walsh practitioner would be really nice, but i cant find her ein my country any... (as expected)
ive found in portugla wich is the closest place to me...ive contacted them, lets se... crossed fingers!

tnx for your kind replies caledonia

i forgot:
what protocol would you use with b12-folates? quantities? 1:1 ratio?
would you keep the TMG since ive never felt nothing undesirable?

Did you ever find anyone online that could help you? I desperately need help interpreting my 23andme also. I have battled fatigue most of my life but after going gluten free 7 years ago I had been better up until I got pregnant with my second child and had her 8 months ago. I developed bad health anxiety, OCD, and my fatigue worsened to the point I can't even sit still to read books to my children without falling asleep. During the pregnancy many other symptoms developed that have never gone away. I also developed cholestasis (liver bile back up with extremely elevated liver enzymes) and had to be induced due to this. Less than a week after delivery I had bad pneumonia then two days later an ovarian cyst ruptured. Here are some of my symptoms that have developed that never went away:

-Fatigue that worsens as the day goes on our if I sit down
-possible reactive hypoglycemia, I have all the symptoms and after drinking the glucose fluid for my gestational diabetes screen my blood sugar dropped to 60 instead of increasing- I've been taking chromium for this
-muscle cramps similar to the start of Charlie horses in my arches and palms progressing to forearms and legs
-swollen, painful joints and bone pain (my SI joint and SC joints are very visibly swollen but tests only show the bones have thickened and RA factor is negative)
-weight loss, I've lost most of my muscle mass and am 6' 29 yo female and 140lb
-constant burning in left rib cage, spleen?
-constant floaters in right eye
-positive test for pyroluria (initially i would randomly feel drunk, confused and extremely dizzy for no reason but now taking zinc and p5p this has improved)
-brain fog and very bad memory problems (can't remember things I just read and have trouble processing what people are saying to me)

I know I sound like a hypochondriac and the dr did tons of testing for thyroid and even an ANA by IFA for autoimmune conditions and they were all negative. I've been treated for adrenal issues by a naturopath but it didn't help. My only abnormal lab results so far are elevated liver enzymes, positive Pyroluria, hypoglycemia, and extremely high b12 (I was taking methylcobalin (sp?) and told to stop.

I did 23 and me but am having trouble figuring out where to go from here. Could anyone point me in the right direction or any other places to analyze my test.. or even recommendations for an affordable practitioner I could consult via phone. I'm absolutely desperate to at least correct my fatigue and anxiety so I can be the mom my two children deserve. I just don't know where to start but am trying to do as much research as I can and from what I've seen the users here already know much more than any doctor or naturopath I've been to.

Here's what I have so far:
Screenshot_2016-11-03-18-46-06.png
Screenshot_2016-11-03-18-44-59.png

Attachments

• NutraHacker_Detox_and_Methylation_Report_Customer_97cbfb62-c499-4e18-a099-362d096f1acd.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Also I forgot to mention I have very thin skin and horrible varicose veins throughout my legs.

Could this be due to the SOD2? I have been reading that people with this typically have low manganese and I have been taking high doses of magnesium for 6 months now to treat my anxiety.. Which I've read chelates manganese.