• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mayo Researchers Identify New Borrelia Species that Causes Lyme Disease

duncan

Master's disease, sans the Lonestar tick?

Regardless, if you include Master's, then you have non-bbss that runs from Texas up north to Canada - covering the entire midwest US.

roller

wiggle jiggle
Unlike B. burgdorferi, however, B. mayonii causes an illness that appears to be associated with nausea and vomiting, diffuse rashes (rather than a single bull’s-eye rash), and a higher concentration of bacteria in the blood.

duncan

First of all, there are many Lyme patients who have had acute Lyme with nausea and vomiting. I am one of them. I also have had my share of atypical EM's. I've had bull's eyes as well. So why are these symptoms considered unusual for acute cases?

The higher concentration in blood is interesting. How do they know this? Microscopy? If so, microscopy is frowned upon in mainstream circles. What did they compare levels with? And how many were they able to find again? Six? After how many years and samples? We are supposed to be impressed with this?

Whose Lyme disease? Steere's? Or is it more akin to what is described as garinii? Do they even know the disease's progression? Knees? Brain? Heart?

Why was it named after an institution? Did no one want his name associated with this? I'd love to have heard that conversation.

Finally, and perhaps most telling: Mayo.

There are two diseases I would not stand in line to go get a diagnosis at Mayo. One is ME/CFS. The other is Lyme.

Antares in NYC

First of all, there are many Lyme patients who have had acute Lyme with nausea and vomiting. I am one of them. I also have had my share of atypical EM's. I've had bull's eyes as well. So why are these symptoms considered unusual for acute cases?
I had all of the above, particularly at the beginning of the infection, during the acute phase. It was horrible.

The folks from Mayo talk like they just discovered these symptoms in Lyme. They seem to subscribe to the Steere tenet that Lyme is just a disease of the knees.

Last edited:

Antares in NYC

Also, I don't want to be picky or minimize the discovery by the Mayo Clinic, but there as many as 12 different species of borrelia aside from Burgdorferi known to cause Lyme disease or lyme-like severe borreliosis/relapsis fever, including:

- Borrelia Garini
- Borrelia Miyamotoi
- Borrelia Alfzelii

Mayonii is the latest addition to this nasty family.

Last edited:

duncan

Not to mention, it's Mayo. As we discussed earlier, they don't even seem to have a handle on the basic symptoms associated with acute Lyme.

How does this compare genetically to Master's disease (CDC's STARI), I wonder?