• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Food/drink triggering air hunger?

douglasmich

Foods and drinks have started to trigger air hunger in me. It literally feels like im not breathing at all.

So far i have only gotton this from UV exposure and certain herbs like tumeric but now other things are doing it and its usually in the morning.

For example today i got up, felt fine then had a cup of broth and 20min later feel like i cannot breath/about to have a stroke. Ginger tea is doing it now.

At night time it doesnt seem to be an issue

any idea?

douglasmich

Hey guys.

Just like my UV intolerance its HEAT that's doing it.

Severe air hunger from a hot drink or the sun

What is the cause ?

JaimeS

If this is still happening... I'm not sure of the cause, but I definitely got air hunger when I ate something to which I was intolerant. It took me ages to figure it out, because in my case, it was milk products. I also experience worse air hunger when the weather is hot. I'm not sure what hot beverages have to do with it though. I assumed that my air hunger is worse when it's hot and humid because the oxygen content of the air is lower at that time.

Have you made any progress or additional observations since then, @douglasmich ?

-J

Silence

hmm could be brain inflammation. Broths, especially meat broths, are high in amino acids that can cause anxiety, panic, racing thoughts, and even air hunter. Are you becoming sensitive to meats too? maybe too much excitotory amino acids building up in the body. Do you have mercury amalgam fillings? People who are sensitive to tumeric could have a thiol sensitivity also, but i forget the relationship between the two.

When i become really " excitotoxic", for lack of a better word, i too get air hunger from too much sun or some types of foods especially meats and veggies high in thiols.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi, I have had severe air hunger/breathing issues in the past. Last year I was dx with MCAS. If you have histamine issues or MCAS the bone broth would definitely be an issue, and could cause a reaction. A histamine MCAS reaction could be as you describe. A lot of people with MCAS also don't tolerate heat/sun exposure well either. Do you have other issues that could hint at MCAS? do you have POTS or EDS or Lyme by any chance? Other intolerances?

I also cant tolerate Turmeric - caused severe gastrointestinal symptoms for me, and most herbs are out too.

JaimeS

The thing that gets me, though, is that both ginger and turmeric are anti-inflammatory. Generally.

Hey, are you intolerant to salicylates? Like, do you get the same reaction to aspirin?